Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Peter_The_great Elder

Yea, the lag stuttering is still there..

Small bank POK area, FPS is really low ~20-30FPS.. old issue, but I kinda hopped DX11 would fix it..

I once again ask you to release the code and make the game Open Source so that the more experienced community modders can fix the game for free =)
    mercury890 likes this.
  2. Scila Augur

I'm still seeing the stuttering just sitting by the bank not doing anything. Running around doing the new tower missions, there seemed to be some as well and the mercs and box I had with me were all over the map keeping up. I use two screens/comps and the visual difference was wacky. One toon would be in front of the other, then behind, then a merc would fly out in front, rinse repeat. The rubberbanding and stuttering is worse with the last patch, at least I wasn't rubberbanding previously.
    mercury890 likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I haven't seen one, but does DPG have a standard method for reporting system config, driver versions, OS verions, etc,etc? I haven't seen one or skimmed over it if there is a standard or preferred method.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

It's very concerning to me that many of the people having issues are running modern machines with PCI-E NVMe disk drives. Access to textures should be nearly as fast (roughly 50%) as if they were already loaded into memory.

I'm scratching my head why older and slower systems (presumably with SATA SSDs or <God forbid> spinning hard drives) are reporting fewer problems?

From Understand the Direct3D 11 rendering pipeline - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn

"Any time you load resources from disk—resources like compiled shader object (CSO, or .cso) files or textures—do so asynchronously. This allows you to keep other work going at the same time (like other setup tasks), and because the main loop isn't blocked you can keep displaying something visually interesting to the user (like a loading animation for your game)."
  5. Lodestar The Undefeated

There's definitely nothing asynchronous going on these days.
    mercury890 and Metanis like this.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

Yet another point of issue, many of us have 16 or 32 core machines. Put them lazy slugs to work!
  7. Windance Augur

From what I understand EQ is single threaded. Multi-threaded applications have to be carefully constructed or you get all kinds of very difficult to track timing issues. The graphics engines I've used that were multi threaded were designed from the ground up to work that way.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This reminds me of the time they fixed the gates in Kedge and broke the bridges in Naggys Lair.

The old lady doesn't like to be messed with.
    mercury890 and MasterMagnus like this.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Famous developer last words, goes like this:
    That can't happen.
    Subsystems x and y never interact with each other.
    Subsystems x and y shouldn't be affecting each other.
    I don't see how x is affecting y.
    Why is x affecting y!?
    Yay I have a fix!
    Fix doesn't entirely work or creates new problem.
    Rinse and repeat until another bug becomes more important.

Follow this method for a few years and code yourself into a corner.
    mercury890, Yinla and Metanis like this.
  10. Scila Augur

haha - last person I know of that said that did bad bad stuff and was moved to a non-technical spot before the day ended.
    Yinla, mercury890 and MasterMagnus like this.
  11. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

There's always the option to REVERT! It's been done before....
    MasterMagnus and Kick like this.
  12. Kekshu New Member

This patch to DX11 is horrible. I have had to adjust my monitor settings to even see the bloody game. Loading times have increased as well as video tearing. Rendering is also taking some time especially when theres many chars together ie bristlebane server outside of GL zone in POK. I play full screen and tabbing out to desktop is crap now. When i go back to full screen, my UI boxes have moved and jumbled up.
    My PC is Core i5 12600KF, nvidia 3060Ti, 32Gb RAM running windows 11.
    I am in favour of improvements to the game but this is a step backwards. Was this even tested before implementing???
  13. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Thank you!
  14. Cloud739 New Member

Stuttering issues are still occurring. It doesn't even have to be around a large crowd of players(NPC or PC). It can occur in any zone and it just locks up your game for a second or two when you try to turn your screen with the mouse. From what I can tell, it seems to mostly happen when a character spawns in the zone close to you. There could be other reasons but this is the one that I've seen that occurs the most frequently.
    mercury890 and rahzel44 like this.
  15. Dreamstalker New Member

Still issues here as well.

I have implemented and tried every change from the Dev, Lodestar, the latest release from DBG and I still get a crazy stutter/freeze. Especially on raids. Really getting kinda sad as it takes some fun out of it.
    I get some spikes in groups but raids is the major issue. Video in Guild Hall is attrocious now.

Intel i7- 14700K
    64GB HyperX DDR4
    WD_Black SN850X 2TB NVMe SSD
    GeForce RTX 4070 TI- OC Edition
    1G internet
    mercury890 likes this.
  16. Lodestar The Undefeated

The best improvements you're going to get on decreasing hitching as much as possible (which unfortunately has the side effect of longer duration grey textures), is to set all the PerFrame settings in memory.ini to 1 (refer to my prior posts, which I know you said you did).

Unfortunately for myself and everyone else, hitching was worsened in this patch as DB fundamentally changed the methodology of how textures are loaded into the game world in the last patch. "Fundamental" in the sense that there is only so much we can do to overcome only a portion of the hitching that's incrementally new since the last patch.
    mercury890 likes this.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

I wonder if the texture access method is triggering more frequent Windows Defender scan actions? My systems continue to have only minimal problems but I have my Everquest folder excluded from real-time Defender scans. Although, as I think about it, this would have an even more dramatic impact on older, slower systems.
  18. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Necroing the thread to add to that. You can download the app directly from Microsoft as it follows:

• Open a PowerShell window (right click on the Start menu from windows, then Run PowerShell (Admin))
    • On the PowerShell window, enter the following:
      DISM /online /add-capability /capabilityname:tools.graphics.directx~~~~0.0.1.0
    • Once the download finishes, just to to Run>DXCPL and proceed as you explained.
    This is for those that want to run EQ on non-dx11 compliant potatoes.
    mercury890 likes this.
  19. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Agree!
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

We did Deepshade 1 after sweeping through LS T1-2 last night, and noticed the horrific game-stuttering lag, even when just killing mushrooms to collect crystals. Turning off player models seemed to help a lot.
    mercury890 likes this.