In Progress Can no longer access desktop from game

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Yinla, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Sunawar New Member

We can tell.
    mercury890 likes this.
  2. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Same here, I think they can't fix it unless they revert and that would be admitting failure to their bosses,
    Waiting to see if players come up with a fix? Really. .. . Ok,, I can fix it,,,, REVERT!
  3. Erashir New Member

Piling on with everyone else here. Lots or problems since the recent update.

-VERY difficult in windowed or full screen mode to get the computer to go to windows desktop. Best I have found is that if EQ is already running I can type a program I want to access in the Windows search bar and alt tab to get to that program. This sometimes works. Even when it does it won't let me resize the new window I have opened so it usually displays at about 1/3rd the size of the screen.

-Screen is horribly dim. Even with my monitor turned all the way up and messing with video card settings. The only place that still looks normal to me is guild hall.

-Lag. It's been a bad stutter. Even if I am not having lag otherwise in a raid, every time the raid changes stages or a new boss spawns I will have about a full 2 second stutter in my play.

These are really, really bad issues.
    mercury890 and DJDan like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you manage to get to desktop and interact with any program EQ becomes unresponsive. Making EQ unplayable

Annoying the desktop issue was reported in beta on 2nd December and ignored.
    mercury890 likes this.
  5. DJDan New Member

Can a DEV please chime in with an explanation and/or ETA on the fix please?
    mercury890 likes this.
  6. DJDan New Member

Patch went out without this fix? come on guys..
    mercury890 likes this.
  7. Hegsheoshed Augur

I guess I should have put the using the Windows key + D windows shortcut not working here. It got confirmed and then duplicated. Sometimes when I do it I have to also alt + enter and click on the screen. Usually I see everything moving but can't use bags or anything until I do alt + enter and click the screen and the screen will do the windowed thing again and then show full screen. Sometimes I can't even alt + tab to other accounts of EQ running. Usually after I do alt + enter and the screen click the windows key + d will start working and then the funky tabbing issues happen. Sometimes there is a new client waiting to be downloaded after all the effort to get to desktop so I am not sure if it is related somehow.
    mercury890 likes this.
  8. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

You are kidding me... KNOWN in Beta and still realeased it??? Come on Dev team. SMH...
    Igorath-Bertox likes this.
  9. Hegsheoshed Augur

If you can no longer tab to other Everquest tabs it is time to log out and download a new client. This is what I am experiencing when I am still able to tab out to the desktop but not other tabs of Everquest. It seems like a new client everyday so far.
    mercury890 likes this.
  10. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

How do I go about Dl'ing a new client?
  11. Hegsheoshed Augur

It happens if there is a new client to download after you close all running clients and running the patcher again. It has been doing it for me sometimes after I get a device reset error. Just now this last one gave me 3 device reset errors for the clients I had running and I had to shutdown since I could not even use the Task Manager to shut them down. I noticed that the new clients are updated on the date and time and that even though there are some that I can confirm in my logs via the system messages to log out and download that they don't show in the .Downloadinfo.txt file or the .DownloadStats.txt. I am not sure if I am imagining multiple client downloads today.
  12. Hegsheoshed Augur

To be more clear and I realize why it isn't showing in the .Download files is that there are changes to the eqclient.ini that are updated without it downloading a new client. Small changes and tweaks to fix the stuttering and hitching and characters in different zones on accounts running on the same PC. I picked a strange time to go clean and not do mind altering stuff. Even Tylenol is too much for me now.
    mercury890 likes this.
  13. DJDan New Member

"In Progress" - ok. Thanks for the passive update.
    Igorath-Bertox and mercury890 like this.
  14. Hegsheoshed Augur

Still need a browser window open. An open folder on the desktop just results in an open folder on top in EQ.
  15. Anacletus New Member

Any ETA on this? I really hate playing in Windowed mode :(
    Igorath-Bertox and mercury890 like this.
  16. Soulbanshee Augur

17. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

I guess this thread got buried....
    Igorath-Bertox likes this.
  18. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Any progress on this issue?
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They made it worse on test.

Cancelled alt account yesterday because of this and they got a nice survey filled in with why I Cancelled over this issue.

Lack of support for full screen isn't acceptable.
  20. Cairbrae Developer

We do have substantial improvements to full screen and windowed UX coming that should fix all the known issues mentioned in this topic.

Sorry, I don't have an ETA right now so this bug report remains In Progress.
    Fanra likes this.