Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

You should really post this in the complaints forum.
  2. strongbus Augur

then how come for some of use we have no issues at all going on?

my system specs
    Processor AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Quad-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB
    video card nvidia geforce gt 1030

I raid current content and when I am out xping am 6 boxing on a wifi connection and have have 0 real issues over my normal stuff sense this update.

now granted I have always run the game with min settings on texture and such and have been playing with hide pets/players/merc sense they added in the opitions and not cause I had to but because it just easy to see stuff and play that way.
    mercury890 likes this.
  3. Mokara New Member

People with high end systems are having the same issues, so it is not the computer. In my case I have my old computer (3770k, 16GB, GTX 680, Win 10) that is currently performing better than my main desktop (8770K, 64GB, GTX 1080Ti, Win 11). My laptop (13900H, 64GB, RTX4080, Win 11) works fine, although that runs at a different resolution.

So the issue appears to be a software one, not a problem with people's hardware.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Mokara New Member

The lag issues are due to rendering of characters, so if you have models turned off you won't know about the problem.
  5. Windance Augur

I suspect there are multiple "lag" problems.

1 - lag from loading characters/npc's in a zone.
    2 - lag from rendering both PC and NPC models.

I've hidden player models and can get micro stuttering during raid events.
    mercury890 likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have no lag. Zero Zip.

However my screen is so black with florescent colors that I get a headache after an hour

I did see the kaleidoscope on one of the 5 characters I had logged into the lobby one day. It went away

This is why I think its what they did and not our computers, the type of bugs are all over the place.
    mercury890 likes this.
  7. Cairbrae Developer

8. Leebra New Member

Thank you. Putting the clientcores back to -1 eliminated my stutter on my AMD 5900X Nvidia 3090 system. I just turned all models back on and stutter still gone. I am still using the memory512.ini file work around and have mip mapping, texture caching, and most other things still off.

Thank you for this info Cairbrae.
  9. Cairbrae Developer

I recommend MipMapping=TRUE (in eqclient.ini) with Memory512.ini configured.

Mipmap textures offer better quality using 4/3 the memory. Performance-wise, they're among the candidates for down sampling according to the memory mode tuning. Such resampling isn't impactful (to FPS) with low values for BitmapsPerFrame, DownsamplesPerFrame, UpsamplesPerFrame, and TextureLoadsPerFrame.

Oh and TextureCache is obsolete.
    Nennius and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Many thanks for your replies. Has any thought been given to a cleanup procedure of our eqclient.ini files? You cited one entry that is no longer valid. Would cleaning up this file benefit the players?
    Barton-Vox and Fanra like this.
  11. Windance Augur

The benefit would be making it easy for the few folks who want to directly edit the file to tweak files to see what the variables actually do. The down side is it would be time consuming for a dev to go back through years of code to find the various settings that have been abandoned.

It would be easier for them to force people to create a new eqclient, which would have its own draw backs.
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Not just a cleanup of eqclient.ini, as much as it is very much needed, but also the LaunchPad > Advanced Tools > Game Configuration > Engine Settings has a checkbox for "Texture Caching" which needs to be removed if it is obsolete.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

As part of the cleanup process, you should add this line to eqclient.ini :

StickFigures=1

It will greatly boost the performance.
    Xyza and Metanis like this.
  14. ChiiChii Augur

I truly hate this effin game. Nothing but custom fixes provided by the skilled community.
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

Maybe one day we'll test things before implementing them.

[IMG]
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I understand being frustrated.

There are many reasons to love EQ!
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You ARE the tester, Fenthen. Thanks for your report! :)
    Fenthen likes this.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

Boss music starts...
  19. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I don't follow..
    I got as far as Game Configuration
    [IMG]
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its literally the next screen. CLICK NEXT!! :) But I am not sure if she is saying to turn it off or if DPG needs to clean it up and turn it off if they don't need it.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.