Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Jedis Arch Mage

You know, you have options. Upgrade your computer.

This has been a year coming, where they said the minimum system requirements were being upgraded. Just because your computer meets the minimum doesn't mean it will work as it always did under DX9. The fixes have been posted all over the forums. Go tweak memory.ini until you get it working smoothly on your computer.

If you can't or won't do that, and still must play EQ at your previous framerate, then I defer back to my first comment of upgrade your computer.
    mercury890 likes this.
  2. strongbus Augur

Question for those with more knowledge then me on this. Been looking round. I see that while dx11/12 support dx9 stuff. the next version of dx won't. Could this be behind the fast push out before stuff is working 100%? they been told by MS that they have till x date or anything running dx9 won't work?
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It wasn't really a fast push. DX11 has been on Test since for quite some time. Maybe the issue is Darkpaw's current staff lacking expertise with the graphics engine and having farmed out the engine upgrade?

EverQuest has been around so long and so many people have had their hands on the code and countless workarounds put in place it's neigh impossible to predict all outcomes. Sometimes the only way to move forward is to just move forward.
    Jedis and Fenthen like this.
  4. Bernel Augur

Even people who have high end systems are having problems. Ironically, some of the older computers are doing better. My 10-year-old business computer runs just about as well as it did with DX9. Meanwhile, people with top-end gaming rigs are having significant issues. Many of these issues were known before they pushed it to live. I agree that they had to move up from DX9, but there was no reason it had to be done in the January patch. Whatever resources are being put to fix the problems now could have been done before it was shipped. If it truly is a minimum requirements issue, then EQ could just say there is no fix coming and everyone has to upgrade. But if they view the issues as problems, then these are problems that could have been fixed before pushing it to live.

Being in software development my whole career, the release of DX11 looks exactly like what happens when management forces a ship date on a product. Perhaps an exec's compensation was dependent on it, the board needs it shipped by a date for the shareholders, or because it helps the manager's accomplishments to have it listed as completed. I doubt the developers were demanding it be shipped over the objections of management. Developers want to ship a good, working product. I'm sure the working environment is not very fun at the moment with everyone scrambling to find fixes for these problems. As players, the more we can let management know our displeasure at this, the less likely management is to do this in the future.
    Scila, FrankTheNotTank, TB_AB and 2 others like this.
  5. Lodestar The Undefeated

Completely accurate assessment/assumptions. Thanks Bernel.

The push was indeed too fast, likely due to shareholders/disconnect in leadership and DB development resources (or something else). It could have been pushed later in the year, and was unquestionably pushed "fast" and too early for everyone who has been tracking this daily like myself.

Polish is king, if time is available, which it was.
  6. Jedis Arch Mage

The issue with modern rigs not performing as good as older computers is odd. It's been stated that EQ doesn't really stress or use the video card that much. So a fancy $1800 video card does nothing for playing EQ. The game heavily relies on the CPU to do the majority of the lifting. Now, certainly modern processors are better than 10 year old CPUs, so I'm not sure why it happens... Maybe someone could explain that part? Better support for integrated graphics on the CPU for systems lacking a dedicated graphics card?
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The original release schedule was 'fast'. Then it was delayed. They had plenty of time during the delay to sort this out - but, they didn't (or couldn't). I don't know if fast is the right word in this context. Unfinished seems more applicable.

Alas, Monday morning quarterbacking doesn't change Sunday's score. :oops:
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. strongbus Augur

thanks for the info. Though what I ment for fash push out was that it was pushed out before they had everything read to go.

and I agree with it being so long and code issues. Almost wounder if it would have been faster and less of a pita to just have a team just rewrite eq in a newer code and then just moved everyone over after.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Totally agree. DX11 felt unfinished when it was launched.

Creating a new graphics engine would be several orders of magnitude more expensive than porting it to DX11. They likely could pay for a significant portion of an entirely new game with the budget they'd need to rewrite EQ.
  10. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Everything this company does is unfinished when it launches.
    • user interface
    • class balance
    • every expansion
    • etc
  11. Scila Augur

It's not about upping personal computers that are above minimum specs to get an app to work. Something went sideways on the app side. Bandaiding personal comps to get things to work doesn't fix the app problem - never has - never will.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Toukan Augur

If I'm reading all of this correctly, all we have to do is turn off every single feature the game offers. Turn off models. Hide names. THEN become masters of file tweaking. All to improve (not fix mind you, but improve) the hell that the last patch dropped most of us into.
    TB_AB and Knifen like this.
  13. Ikonz New Member

still no fix, and im not gonna up my current settings to possibly fix this broken game, even the damn forumns are broken, 20 minutes of invalid credentials along with that stupid catpthca .... guess its time to cancel my subscriptions on all my accounts...
    DJDan and Metanis like this.
  14. newc322 Lorekeeper

this doesnt apply to me. im saying for the ones who can no longer play, and FYI some people cannot afford to fully upgrade their PC's for games. if the computer has the minimum but cant work, then those are NOT the minimums then are they? and another fyi PLAYERS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TWEAK THEIR .INI FILES TO FIX THE DEVS SCREW UPS. stop giving the devs excuses to keep doing this nonsense
    TB_AB, DJDan and Sunawar like this.
  15. newc322 Lorekeeper

seriously. this. why is it the player base's responsibility to fix what the devs broke? and WHY are people defending the devs like this is still acceptable so many years down the road with this game and it happens EVERY time theres a big "upgrade/update/release"
    TB_AB and DJDan like this.
  16. Myysterio Lorekeeper

can tell people who dont know how computers work.....

OMG HOW COULD THEY DO THIS BREAKING THINGS!!?!?1

you have to upgrade systems or they will become incompatible or security risks.... change is inevitable. They cant run stuff on windows 98 forever.
    Jedis likes this.
  17. Myysterio Lorekeeper

Devs didnt BREAK anything.... they upgraded to a new system and the new system has got some glitches with the 24 year old spaghetti logic crap that is EQ. Change happens man.... dial it back a bit. They are working it out.
  18. Peter_The_great Elder

How about testing stuff before releasing it to the masses =D, then demand money for the services..hehe.. wanna buy my car? But you are not allowed to check it out before, YOU JUST GOTTA TRUST ME BRO!

That said, I don't think Devs can fix this one.. they gonna roll back the update, it was simple to big of a task for the team.

In the Zone OverThere RoS, NPC has no texture, only white blank armor.
  19. Monkeychunks Augur

Its not all our computers needing upgrading, this is happening to computers that meet the new specs, the old specs and go up and beyond specs that this game would ever use.

Stop blaming the player's equipment. This upgrade is just a shell anyway
    TB_AB likes this.
  20. Jedis Arch Mage

Amen.