GRR...! PvP Server Option for Firiona Vie

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eridiniara, Feb 4, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyranthraxus Grognard

And the underlined is why noone is willing to go red on a pve server, if it were reversable, you might have more people willing to mess around with it.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Captain Video Augur

Every one of the dozens and dozens of repetitive PvP threads mentions this, it will never happen. Using it for griefing will be commonplace.. I hit you, and then immediately go blue, so your friends can't hit me back... the complaints to CS would just shut it all down almost immediately. One of the top prioritiies in this low-staff low-budget era is to keep unnecessary CS tickets to a minimum.
  3. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Why should it be a simple toggle? Turn in another book to reverse, the mechanic is already there. You can't hit a blue player as a red, Thats Ashes of Creation. If you go Red, you are open for PvP thats kind of the point.

If a red player kills a red player in the open world, the invitation was clearly given by flagging red in the first place. The issue at present is there is no reverse of that state, if you flag red you permakill your character for all other uses.
    Waring_McMarrin and Rijacki like this.
  4. Eridiniara Elder

If you follow the dialogues with the Priest of Discord, you will receive a Tome of Order and Discord. If you hand it back to him, you will become a PvP player (your name will appear in red instead of blue) and be vulnerable to other PvP players. You will no longer be affected by beneficial spells of non-PvP players.

Once completed, reversing this process is difficult if not impossible (details?).
  5. Eridiniara Elder

Found a lil more, hehe

The ubiquitous PoD can be found in all the cities of Norrath. He can "flag" players PvP upon request. Make this request by handing him The Tome of Order and Discord which you spawned with, or hail him and ask for another tome if you destroyed yours. If you changed your mind, you must journey to the Priest of Order in North Qeynos or otherwise delete and reroll your character.
  6. Captain Video Augur

I don't know where you got this, but there is no Priest of Order in official EQ.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

In my opinion, there should be a small quest, obtainable only once every 24 hours of played time (i.e. no count down on the time while offline), to summon a Priest of Order in a specific location that will converse only with the one who summoned them to request a book of order to turn in to disable PvP. The book should be temporary, lore, and no trade on all servers. The quest would require one to not be engaged in any PvP for any step of the quest or it would immediately fail. The quest should be on the level of difficulty as the first floor Tower key quest. That would allow someone to enable PvP but not permanently and disable it in a way that would not invite exploiting or griefing by the one turning off their flag. The one trying to disable PvP could be prevented from doing so by being engaged.

The inability of one flagged for PvP not being able to get beneficial spells/songs from one not flagged is to prevent out of group assistance where their opponent cannot engage their helpers. The only other way to prevent that is to cause anyone helping someone flagged would flag them as well. That's one of the ways covert/overt PvP flagging worked in SWG.
  8. Captain Video Augur

The company's position ever since the Zek server consolidation is that PvP is supported on every server via the arenas. Nobody needs to be flagged for this method, and groups can form on either side. If you don't want outsiders wandering into your private battle, pick one of the arena locations that's usually deserted, and don't tell anyone else. The fact that none of the PvP advocates in these forums ever attempt to use that method is very telling with regard to the true demand, or lack of it. The only thing you get on an open PvP server that you don't have now is the ability to grief people. EQ has moved on, far away from that culture. So it will never happen, at least not beyond what Zek does.

You can attack your merc in any designated arena area if you want to see how it works. Some players even do that on purpose for weapon and passive combat skillups.
    Rijacki likes this.
  9. Eridiniara Elder

10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Corwyhn Lionheart, Rijacki and Yinla like this.
  11. Eridiniara Elder

12. Qimble Augur

What, you don't think people in 2024 are excited at the prospect of being trained while XPing or raiding, being corpse camped, or having their zone in time taking unusually long because someone has started killing them (and finished killing them, most likely) before they even loaded in? Say it ain't so.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  13. Bilderov Augur

I love this. In every game I've played that has PvP, they always seem to laugh at us carebears but then scream the loudest if they somehow get beat by a particular class and call it OP.

The number of nerfs my PvE character has taken in other games simply due to the PvP groups whining something is OP (against them) is so annoying that I now refuse to play games that have a mix of PvP and PvE. It's not worth the effort investing in a character to have something changed just to stroke the ego of some random PvP players (none of the mobs I was killing complained and I was playing the game just fine).
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Eridiniara Elder

LOL, I cannot believe how many people that have never played EQ PvP have something to say about it....
    fransisco likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This makes sense, if you have a way to enable PvP you should also have a way to disable it as well.
  16. fransisco Augur

Eq doesn't care about pvp and hasn't for years. pvp ALWAYS sucked in eq, even back in classic.
    Devs don't have time to make content for the general game (hi 2 missions for the entire year), pvp won't happen, and no one wants it.
    Yinla and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Why do you think they shouldn't be able to say they don't want to have it?
  18. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Some of us did play in 1999, and later also remember all the loud talk from the "PvP hardcores" in BotBs.

And what happened on Sullon Zek when a bored "carebear" guild (Legacy of Steel from Nameless - Serverwide top 3 guild at that time) went there, formed up a guild called "Ruin" - and spanked and decimated all the PvP "experts" until they got bored. Because , these carebears knew more about EQ PvE and locked down content from the "pumice stone toughguys" and then spanked them silly... (And no all the strafing, jousing "skills" were just funny to watch heh)

I still remember how silent the forums went for months as the "real pvpers" ran off to recuperate before coming back to talk about their "EQ" PvP skills and mock PvE (while being ignorant of the fact that PvE is what EQ is, and PvP was unbalanced and an afterthought)
    Ssdar, Yinla, Eaedyilye and 1 other person like this.
  19. Eridiniara Elder

Ruin was a good guild; however, they all came over to SZ, as you say, and never had to go through the process of meeting new people forming a guild and so on..., which did help in their acquiring "Gear," Yet I believe they enjoyed PvPing
  20. Eridiniara Elder

And BTW.., a friendly reminder, this post is about gaining options for the Firiona Vie Server, and asserting how the unique "Rule Set" of Firiona Vie addresses the main issues with PvP servers.....
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.