2024 TLP Ruleset!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OldTimeEQ1, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Shalom Quillmane Bane

I think 98.99% of the players would be happy with a standard TLP with Mischief ruleset, close the book.
  2. jordune Augur

no motm..
    would love to see this happen .. allows for smaller guilds.
    relaxed truebox to start would be Kool as well.
    mischief style server ..
    something we can sink some teeth into. a Fun server
  3. Xeris Augur

Give us a locked server at any era past pop: ideally OOW/DON or even HOT
    Verrse likes this.
  4. Bailen Augur

I wouldn't mind them shortening the time before they open the first expansion, but I'd still like to spend at least a couiple of weeks in classic.
  5. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Unless there is a huge influx of returning players (who haven't played any TLPs in the past 10 years) from some marketing effort, there is a distinct fatigue for the normal classic 2 months/3months start).

As an avid EQ Addict err player, I do not look forward to it, tbh. Every TLP feels to be more and more of krono-farm in the initial expansions (And I have played a few in the past, Phinny to TSS, Mischief to DON, and a few more, currently in the dead-Oakwynd in PoP)
  6. Arclyte Augur

free trade & random loot is good for group loot and quest items, but stuff like raid loot and epic quest pieces should remain no trade IMO. I could see a compromise of maybe raid loot could be tradable 2 expansions later if necessary. Dropping krono to buy full BiS seems very lame to me.
  7. Kahna Augur

Meh, remove freetrade and random from raid loot and you kill 90% of what draws to the server. No one cares about group loot past Classic/Kunark, after that it is basically all junk and raid loot fills every slot. Someone wants to drop multiple krono and get full BiS? It has literally zero impact on my enjoyment of the game. Why would I care about what someone else is doing with their free time? You can still get all your loot the old fashioned way (and maybe pick up that one piece that just won't drop for your guild after selling your old raid pieces.)

Raid loot was the only place that random/freetrade actually mattered. Taking that away will destroy what made Mischief fun and it will basically just be another normal server with an unimportant twist, much like Oakwind, and it will go the same way Oakwind has.
    fransisco, Crabman and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  8. Arclyte Augur

There is value in an MMO requiring players to acquire their gear the real way. I would argue it's the primary reason for playing the game. When you reduce that gameplay cycle into a credit card transaction you're kind of hollowing-out the experience.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I do think it dramatically reduces the value of group loot and quest loot. IMO it cheapens and takes away from the game more than it adds.

Random loot adds some excitement to an old and tired game though, add that in for sure.
  9. Krizem Augur

The last few posts illustrate the need for two different rule sets. I appreciate the argument that this is an old game and the allure of having access to more loot and free trade brings in players that otherwise would skip TLP or not play at all. Especially those with less play time. Mischief proves it.

However, there are still a lot of people that like to play something closer to base EQ. Yes, it will never be classic and I'm not advocating for that. I enjoy the quality-of-life changes and don't desire corpse runs, etc. I mean just the general feeling of scarcity and a bit of time investment is actually part of the EQ experience for a lot of people. Some people find it just frustrating, but others actually play the game for that feeling of reward after not getting the drop a few times. I think we should have a twist of some sort for a server this year though. Yelinak was basically vanilla TLP...and I really don't know what to think about Oakwynd. I'd love to spice things up with some random loot and/or all classes and races from start, but I don't want a ton of loot dropping like Mischief and I'm not crazy about free trade either.

If we can only get one TLP this year, I'll admit it's probably the "free trade" crowd's turn to get one.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  10. Kahna Augur

Yes, you are right, that is 100% why Mischief is the most active TLP server ever. Because it's not fun. Most people don't actually pay RL money for their gear on Mischief. I am sure there are a few whales but most folks earn plat and krono in game from selling items and old gear and use that money to pick up the few items they didn't get on the raid. They love being able to hand down, sell or gift old gear. It is just plain fun. The handful of whales don't actually impact 99% of the players and their enjoyment of the game.

If it is just the principle of the thing that bothers you I would recommend you play on the server, you will find that it plays out pretty much the same as any other server only you don't have to delete your old raid gear.

And group loot is devalued far more by instances then free trade. Once people can raid freely group loot becomes worthless, and that is okay.
  11. Crabman Augur

The pros of free trade just so far outweigh the cons its insane people still argue its better without. Pros: Trading is more exciting, gear up boxes easier, ability to sell gear after its upgraded vs just rotting in the bank, and the biggest one and I feel is the reason mischief is still doing so well is the catch up game is so much easier. You can take a break due to real life or burn out, sell your gear and return in however long maybe just a few levels and aa's behind. thats much easier to overcome than a full set of gear on top of everything.
    The cons are... its a little more difficult to buy gear for kr...?
  12. xxar Augur

I got a twist ! The same concept of mischief + FTE and no trade gear is encounter locked loot only.

There will be the change of when the timer for open "loot" the corpse decays instantly , you must be part of the encounter to loot no trade gear.
  13. Court Elder

I think a basic free trade server, without random loot, with a beastlord and berserker start would be a killer way for them to go. While some people love Mischief random loot rules, the other 50% hated it. But add in the other two and you have a winning TLP that might outdo Mischief in popularity.
  14. Umul Augur

The answer is obvious:

Mischief loot
    Relaxed truebox from Day 1
    All the stuff from Oakwynd.

Just take all your good ideas and put them in one server.

With relaxed truebox from day 1... a second lesser populated server would actually be appealing.
    jiri_ likes this.
  15. Shalom Quillmane Bane

All I want this TLP is to run into Toadie, if I'm super lucky fate will place us in the same guild.
  16. jiri_ Augur

That, and fix the bugs when they're reported.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  17. fransisco Augur

How about something actually different.
    Like remove agnostic as an option, and accentuate faction differences. A bit like sullon zek without the pvp. Cannot group with players on the other side (good/evil). Neutral races have to choose a side and cannot go back. Give rewards killing guards in opposing cities. Make it team based without the pvp.

Obviously this ends with pok when everyone suddenly sings kumbaya and pretends they were always friends.
  18. Mashef Augur

Usually too many of these threads but this one seems to be reasonable duration and we are getting close now. Just my opinions - probably widely disregarded but seems to be some common requests here and a few wrinkles..

Basically a reworked Selos without the 1/2 DZ unlocks combined with the mischief - with some tweaks

Rules
    - Free trade
    - Random Group Loot
    - Regular Raid Loot
    - 50% loot drop bonus
    - 100% faction bonus
    - Relaxed Truebox mandatory on launch day server day 1
    - Luclin open - 3 month timer + Pull something fun from sleeper/combine era website that tracked finishing of certain tasks to contribute to an unlock to commemorate guilds/server/individual 1sts/2nds/3rds as part of the 25th anniversary. Require all things like armor sets/epics/raids to be downed by the server as a whole in order to unlock PoP in addition to the time frame. It was really fun to track all that back in the day with sleeper/combine.
    - Inclusive of 25th anniversary events that occur throughout the year
    - Actual rule enforcement for botters - be more transparent. Stop hiding behind the excuse you can't tell us - change your policy and say thanks for the report they are now banned

Pace
    - 100% exp bonus to the standard TLP exp rates
    - 8 weeks POP
    - 4 weeks LDON reworked to give triple adventure points to make it not a totally useless expansion
    - 8 weeks all subsequent expansions

This gets you to GoD a little faster in month 7 - and some people might be able to make it long enough to get hooked on stuff past PoP/Omens.

Personally I wouldn't play something completely off the wall like Vaniki and won't play a traditional classic start with 3 month slogs where in 1 year you are burnt out. Too many of those in the last 10 years. There are ton of other great ideas thrown around let's just hope they do better then the Vaniki/Yelinak/Oakwynd disasters.
  19. itiswhatitis Elder

Oh and remove MoTM from raid mobs on previous expansions.
    Mashef likes this.
  20. Ddezul Augur

No on the mischief rules.

Let Mischief be Mischief for awhile longer.
    That server will be a ghost town if you do that.