In Progress Can no longer access desktop from game

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Yinla, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Inagaki Elder

Whenever Alt Tab loses its function in Full Screen mode after a patch, the game becomes unplayable to a large population of players.

This is urgent and cannot wait a month for the next patch. Please add this to any emergency patch.

And please remember to test this for every future patch. Don't underestimate the amount of players who need Alt Tab in Full Screen.
    daBlubb, Hegsheoshed, John M and 9 others like this.
  2. Tarxzilla New Member

Same issue I need access to discord and dkp sites while playing this is not playable for me currently.
  3. TheGroogrux New Member

4. Ryanald New Member

Any update from DEV on this?
    John M, mercury890 and Derek like this.
  5. charla Lorekeeper

Same here. I switched to windowed mode in the interim but don't want this, it means I cant use viewport and also the chat windows get screwed on login everytime now!
    mercury890 and Derek like this.
  6. Debben New Member

Nice to see this issue is confirmed. What is the ETA on the fix please? Not being able to tab into discord and my browser to look up quests, etc is really a bummer!
  7. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Having same problem as apparently many others... /Sighs
    Since last patch:
    Can't tab out to desktop from neither full nor windowed mode.

When I hit the window key, it just refreshes the page and not to desktop anymore.
    This occurs even when I try to multibox.

There's a lot of players that like Multi boxing and more so the ability to tab out to desktop to research quests. etc....

Loosing this functionality is definitely a game changer in the wrong direction.. fair to say for many many players.and hope it gets fixed soon.

One sad, 23 year player with maybe too many Full Access accounts.....
  8. John M New Member

Having same problem. Anyone else's Gina Overlay no longer work with Fullscreen? I can only see timers if I go to Windowed Mode. Worked fine with Fullscreen before patch.
    mercury890 likes this.
  9. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

I vaguely remember this happening with another EQ Dev. team from way back trying to update the graphics engine and not being able to correct this exact same problem. As a result, they shelved it and reverted back to DirectX9.and has been fine, , , untill this attempt.... and it returned,,,

Am I going crazy?
  10. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

/Agreed
  11. DJDan New Member

This is getting really annoying. Any update or ETA on the fix please?
    mercury890 likes this.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

This is not accurate for Windowed Mode. Alt Tabbing works fine. Minimize works fine. It sounds like you are in full screen mode.

I don't do Full Screen, but last I knew full screen was not supposed to allow you to go to desktop by design. I don't think that this is anything to do with the change to DX11, at least not anything on EQ's side. Do you by chance run Windows 11? It has a lot of options that affect DX11 and higher but not DX9, and what you are talking about sounds more like a Windows setting issue than it does an EQ update issue.
    For the majority of the game Alt Tab did not work in Full Screen mode. Alt Enter is what is intended to change the game from windowed mode to Full Screen mode, not alt tab. Alt tabbing to a full screen program should be expected to put that back into full screen.
  13. Jack Elder

I have always run in full screen mode and never had an issue using alt tab to swap over to another application, be that the internet, ventrillo, teamspeak, discord, my actual desktop. Now, when I do alt tab in full screen, it brings up the game in what APPEARS to be windowed mode, while also showing me all the applications I can swap to. I am able to highlight the applications by hitting the tab key multiple times. I can even click on the window button and bring up the taskbar and click on the applications that way. It now doesn't put the application over the EQ window. Then it puts me right back into full screen mode. Again, it has never worked this way for me before and I have been playing this game for close to 20 years. My GINA overlays also stopped working when the patch came out. Now I just play in windowed mode to by pass the game not working properly now.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You are wrong. Back when the game was only full screen and using programs like WinEQ was a grey area, full screen worked exactly like this. Actually, the native full screen worked like this for over a decade. It is relatively recently that it hasn't. If you want out of full screen Alt+Enter, not Alt+Tab.

You are no longer running EQ at the same resolution as Windows and the other programs are running at. I know that some people have had issues like that but simply going into the launchpad and running the graphics set up again fixed. This isn't anything new with the DX11 patch, just something that happens at times. If Full screen is a different resolution than what Windows is set to, then it cannot put the windows on top of the game.

Problems with GINA are the people who make GINA's problem, not the people who make EQ's problem.
  15. Jack Elder

So, I'm trying to understand exactly what you're saying here. I just told you I've always played in full screen and hitting alt + tab to bring up the mini thumbnails of all the applications I'm running to swap between programs or use the task bar, can't work because it can't shrink my full screen game's size, even though that's exactly what it has been doing, turning it into a windowed mode with the thumbnails and taskbar over top EQ, doesn't actually work in full screen. But it was working until this patch. And that my overlays no longer work since the patch (listen, I know programs like GINA and Log Parsers always need updating somewhat after a patch) have nothing to do with the patch? I'm just trying to understand because, the only thing that's changed on my PC is, in fact, the Jan 17th patch. Also, the Devs have confirmed this issue.
    Sunawar and mercury890 like this.
  16. daBlubb Elder

I run everquest on 5 W10Pro PCs. Windows and EQ have the same resolution. It doesnt matter if i use Fullscreen or Windowed Mode. I cannot Alt Tab to Browser, Discord, Gina etc. with 4 PCs, it only works with one.
    The one PC without problems has a Nvidia 1660TI, while the others are my EQ only machines with older VGAs, a mix of Nvidias and ATIs.

Testwise i put the 1660TI into one other PC (without installing new drivers) and ALT-TAB is working like it should.

So I bought 4 new 1030GT cards. (Not going to buy high end stuff, for EQ only PCs.)
    > No ALT-Tabing. Sigh.
    Installed current drivers, no change. Deleted eqclient.ini, no change.
    Now i wait for a fix.
    mercury890, Sunawar and Yinla like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I've never had an issue going from full screen to desktop until the patch, no idea where you got the idea that it was by design that it doesn't. I have the same issue with a windows 7 desktop and a 6 month old windows 11 laptop. From full screen the windows key now puts me in windowed mode, clicking anywhere on the screen puts me back in full screen.

I don't do alt tabbing I use the windows button. It has always worked until the patch. EQ screwed up and they have confirmed it.
    Sunawar and mercury890 like this.
  18. Hegsheoshed Augur

Even at character select I need to do Alt + enter and it doesn't switch character select to windowed but I am able to Alt +Tab to another program. I have to at least have some window open since I can't tab to just the desktop. Sometimes I get the alt +enter right and my bags aren't all in a clump when I tab back to game but the chat windows will have moved. If other accounts are running in the background if they are running full screen instead of windowed they are using more memory than they should. Then things start getting slowed down. What became minute long zone times stretch out to 3 to 5 minutes usually after running a third account.
  19. Kpup72 New Member

Adding to this thread. I am having the same issue on two different computers (1 laptop 1 desktop). Laptop is running Windows 11 and desktop is running Windows 10. Been a player since the drop of the 1st expansion and have always been able to ALT+Tab.
    mercury890 and Sunawar like this.
  20. Hegsheoshed Augur

Just noticed that if I tab to an open folder on the desktop that folder is on top of the game full screen.