Test Update 1/9/2024 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Szilent Augur

I support taking the Faerune effect off of all head armor.

Innate Lung Capacity is on AA from Omens, Innate See Invisible from Depths of Darkhollow, both of which are then included in Auto-Grant by Secrets of Faydwer. Barbarians may like to have Darkvision or Acumen sometimes, but those can be had via buffs.
    Silvena likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is already an issue with not enough buff slots for people which isn't good for this idea of requiring a new buff slot because you want to remove something that has been in the game for a long time.
    Herf and Nennius like this.
  3. Allayna Augur

They should just combine innate lung and innate see invis into one passive AA Faerune at rank X, when it would be acquired organically.

Freeing the helm slot for a new focus line - credit @Beimeith.
    Silvena likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

It doesn't require a new buff slot. Getting to *not* have Ultravision on is the desirable condition.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you remove Faerune from all helmets and a player later wants it they would need to take up a buff slot with Darkvision or Acumen as you suggested. If there is a reason to not have the Faerune effect I would suggest that the reasons for that be looked into and adjusted so it is no longer a problem.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Then they need to fix the lighting and tinting in items. ToV looked far better without a helm than with, the glare on white coloured mounts, familiars and NPCs also need to be fixed.
    Moege, Cyphren, Velisaris_MS and 3 others like this.
  7. Silvena *poke*

Somewhere in this Confirmed bug report, it was mentioned that it's a bug that's been in game a very long time. They're working on it. It's still sitting as confirmed. Not "In Progress" but confirmed. No updated information.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...and-use-of-overly-reflective-textures.289589/

Some folks have acquired mounts, armor, familiars, and so on because they're appealing. And in hopes that the shaders, lighting, or whatever is "bugged" gets corrected at some point.

Is it game breaking? No.
    Does it prevent some people from making purchases or going for that nifty thing? Yep. I've seen enough people say "Too shiny. To reflective. Too bright."

So fix this or nuke Faerune seems to be the request. Nuking Faerune being it's own half workaround for this problem.

I wish I had remembered the bug report when I mentioned Faerune and lighting earlier, I would've pointed to it as well. They blended together in my mind as something I'd like to see corrected.

I ramble, that's on me.
    Yinla and MasterMagnus like this.
  8. Captain Video Augur

You don't want to nuke Faerune, TLP players will scream. It is the onlh viable light source in the early game that doesn't waste a slot. One of the fist player goals in the game is to get rid of the ubiquitous Gloomingdeep Lantern, which is way out-of-era on a TLP to begin with.

Player perceptions about lightting vary widely, and IMHO a large part of that has to do with the historical major differences between the default gamma in fullscreen vs. windowed mode. Windowed has always been darker with richer colors. Explanations for this distinction from a design perspective has always been, essentially, "Because." I've had the expectation that DX11 would eliminate the difference, but instead we've lost user control of gamma settings outright, and the interim result is more darkness but without the color improvement. I'm patiently waiting to see how they respond to the complaints about the slider.
    fransisco likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The easy fix would be to remove Faerune from helms and add it as an AA that is toggleable at teh same expansion/level faerune on helms is introduced. Then you can have it on if you want or off. They could do it like the origin and make it free for all.
  10. Angahran Augur

How about this, create new versions of helms that have ultravision and link them so you can convert between having untravision and not?
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

Do any of these helms have clicks? Probably easier to make Faerune a permanent duration self-click rather than have to juggle augments.
    Svann2 likes this.
  12. Spacemonkey555 Augur

There are 16 class helmets, 2xgroup and 2xraid in recent expansions so… make 64 new helms per expansion? Gotta be a better solution than 50-60 new items x however many expansions the modern gear setup has persisted for.
    Buff slot tax is always bad, I’d imagine worse on tlp than live.

It seems like an option in the display tab that turns off display of ultravision would also be easy, wouldn’t eat a buffslot either way, require no new items, just another checkbox in the dispay tab.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

How about they just hire someone that knows something about graphics and they FIX the problems?
    Silvena, Velisaris_MS and Angahran like this.
  14. Szilent Augur

Dislike. Item AAs can only be disabled en masse, I don't want to carry a dozen more items to avoid occasionally using a buff slot.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That still has the issue of taking up a buff slot when there already isn't enough.
  16. strongbus Augur

just make it a passive aa that can be toggle on and off no buff slot needed.
    Winnowyl, Barton-Vox and Allayna like this.
  17. fransisco Augur

There seems to be alot of ignorance about Faerune. All you humans and euridites won't be able to see anything in half the game without it.
    Beyond that, Faerune is more than vision. Its also enduring breath. Yup, you're gonna drown without faerune.
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

As an iksar, I remember having to go out of my way in kunark to get an ultra vision item because it annoyed the heck out of me when I didn't have lich in but still wanted to be in skel form. I couldn't see .
    fransisco likes this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EB is also a passive AA, Luclin AA maybe I know it was an early one, no one is going to drown.

I seem to recall a lot of weapons being a light source also now.
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

10 minutes until expected/estimated uptime and we don't even have the new patch files available yet.