Confirmed Recent mounts / familiars and use of overly reflective textures

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jedis, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Jedis Arch Mage

It seems that with Pixel Shaders 2.0 enabled in options, some of the newer mounts are super reflective of light on one or more sides. This was noticed last year with the Pride lion familiars. The mallard mount from Extra Life has the issue to some extent, however the new Stomples Day bunnies are really bad with the shaders turned on.

Here's the same model, comparing the ToV mount to the Stomple's Day bunny:
    [IMG]

Any chance the DX upgrade coming this year will fix this habitual issue with new models? Is there anything that can be done in the mean time, other then disabling Pixel Shaders 2.0 in options?
    B0HICA, Emilari, Silver and 11 others like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Is advanced lighting on or off? Is bloom lighting on or off?
  3. Jedis Arch Mage

Advanced lighting is off. Bloom lighting is off.

[IMG]
    minimind likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I call it the "Voodoo of EQ texturing" :p best practiced by a necromancer.
  5. Herf Augur

This is a recent change of some type IMHO. Makes the pets etc. look washed out of detail.
    minimind likes this.
  6. Herf Augur

Indeed turning off pixel shader 2.0 'fixes' the problem. I'm just wondering if I'm losing other nice things in rendering with that off?
    minimind and Jedis like this.
  7. Cactusrustler80 New Member

Yeah, this is horrible. I need sunglasses when I use this mount. Hope this can be remedied else it'll just be a lucky rabbit on my mount keychain.
    Silvena likes this.
  8. Pretiosa New Member

Category: Other [Can Repro]
    Date/Time: Mon Mar 27 15:57:20 2023

Character: Level 65 Magician (Main)
    Zone: The Plane of Knowledge

Description: The Bunny mounts in daybreak store does not like Pixel 2.0 Shaders.
    If I turn on Pixel 2.0 Shaders it white washes the mount, does not show any colour. It makes it look like it is glowing bright white.
    I tested by turning it on and off.
    Also tried to see if it was the bunny look but the bunny pet illusion/familiar does not do the same.
  9. Aiona Augur

Same thing happens to mine, it glows brighter than a thousand suns! haha
  10. Jedis Arch Mage

11. Herf Augur

It's not just bunnies. It's pets, and the duck mount.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's a poorly written shader, left to rot for years?

Best advice that goes around is 'Turn it off'. :rolleyes:
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

The artists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should.
    Fenthen, MasterMagnus and Silvena like this.
  14. Pretiosa New Member

Another thing I noticed is, when on the bunny mount the camera angle looks like I am looking at myself slightly to the right. See more of the right side and the left side is hidden away.
  15. Pretiosa New Member

Another thing I noticed is wrong with the bunny mount. When you summon it and you got camera centred it looks like you are looking at yourself more to the right and the left side is hidden away. Not sure if its a bug or its intended, but knowing sitting on other mounts they are centred it is really weird sitting on the bunny mount.
  16. ttobey Developer

The artists have nothing to do with writing shaders. Whatever that is.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's funny, as a hobbyist I always thought that too. As a former software developer that learned (hobbyist level) art, I've always liked the numbers.

But writing shaders? That's crazy stuff. Or so I thought.

Blender allows writing GLSL shaders, so I dabbled a bit, monkeying with math to affect an image is pretty fun.

Been working on my own little game, and GODOT 4.0 just released with visual and coded (fragment) shader coding.

Writing shaders is far more approachable than I used to imagine.
  18. Soulbanshee Augur

Shaders pleeeeeease.
    [IMG]
    Nennius likes this.
  19. klanderso Developer

Merged threads.
    Jedis and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. Jedis Arch Mage

Would updating EQ to use Shaders 3.0 fix the issue with the textures, or is this an engine specific issue?