Overseer progress reset

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kilj, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Kilj New Member

All the categories of my overseer have been reset back to level 1. My persona had just leveled to 85 and unlocked the overseer. I believe this is what caused my progress to reset back to level 1.
    Veltio, PatCleric and Rondor like this.
  2. Udayan New Member

My progress reset right as I made my persona.
    Was maxed on all stats in overseer on my 95 necro. Made my persona last night which is now a level 16 monk. When I switched to my necro persona today, all his stats were, and still are, level 1 and its only giving me level 1 quests....
    PatCleric likes this.
  3. Rondor Augur

PatCleric likes this.
  4. Bernel Augur

Just wondering, but what sort of success percentage are you getting with elite agents and level 1 quests?
    PatCleric likes this.
  5. Rondor Augur

Here are some of the highest percentages I can see for tasks being offered for me now if I use Auto-Fill and let Elite-ness vs Traits-appropriateness weigh in automatically.

Most or all of them are 94% up to 98%, so the selection below is just a sample.

NOTE That I'm not including the Conversion quests which are always 100%.

98% success showing for: Strange Parts - Level 1 Common Research - with Rodcet (Elite), Meldrath (Elite)

97% success showing for: Recruit Travelers - Level 1 Common Recruitment - with Juline (Rare), Phinigel (Elite)

97% success showing for Pluck the Pups - Level 1 Common Stealth - with Cazic (Elite), Chiasa (Rare)

95% success showing for: How the Cauldron was Made? - Level 1 Common Research - with Lorekeeper (Common), Kele (Elite),

94% success showing for: Secure the Shipment - Level 1 Uncommon Military - with Galeth Veredeth (Rare), Changeling (Common), Rallos Zek (Elite)

94% success showing for: Brownie Points - Level 1 Uncommon Trade - with Bristlebane (Elite), Poisoner (Common), Kele (Elite)

===

I tried swapping out some of the non-Elite ones above for Elite ones that had the highest stats, but I would always get 1 or 2% lower predicted success rate. So the contribution of attributes of some non-Elite agents is still sometimes stronger than an Elite agent's "raw awesomeness" towards increasing the success chance.
    Bernel likes this.
  6. PatCleric Healer of Aradune

Adding on here that I also had my Overseer reset from Max to level 1 (aradune server). is an account that has a persona. Another account i do not have a persona on is still max.

For some reason the other post on this issue had the 5 or 6 comments posted on this moved into another post that was for chat channel issues and is marked fixed (Chat Channels Down after December 12, 2023 patch)

hoping this is noticed as still being an issue.
  7. ChaosCurse New Member

I noticed you have to zone and it resets it use to be where it wouldn't allow you to open upon the change of class it happened to me today so
  8. PatCleric Healer of Aradune

@Chaos - so that does happen to me. on initial load of persona (staying in the same zone) - all the stats rest to 0% / Level 1. when i zone the stats do update, but they are not where they used to be - they used to be max and now its acting as if after the persona fully reset them to level 1. Even when I load in the primary toon (which had been max, and has all the achievements), and then zone - I still show the newly reset levels.
  9. Veltio Journeyman

It looks like my Plunder and Crafting categories have been reset to level 1, where they were previously at max. All other categories are still at max.
    PatCleric likes this.
  10. Bernel Augur

One thing that's curious about this bug is that Overseer is at the account level. If you have characters of various levels on the account and they run /overseer, they'll either bring up Overseer or get an error message about being too low according to their level. I'm wondering if what happens with personas is that there's some internal inconsistency about which persona you are. In some places it says you're the 125 Necro and in other places it say you're the level 1 SK. The initial level check for /overseer lets you through with your 125 Necro, but then somewhere in the Overseer code it accesses you as the level 1 SK.

Even if they can't fix the bug, a simple fix would be to never allow the Overseer levels to go down. If NewLevel is less than CurrentLevel, do nothing. There should never be a reason for an Overseer category to be reduced. So even if Overseer thinks you're a level 1, it should leave the progress alone no matter what. Even without personas, you might have level 1 and level 125 characters on your account. If Overseer got confused about which character was using personas, it shouldn't reset the progress.

I believe there have been instances of Overseer progress resets even before personas were implemented. They had all the agents and the achievements, but their progress was back at level 1. This may be from a pre-existing bug in Overseer that's being hit more commonly with personas. Regardless, just changing the code to prevent progress from being lowered would avoid this issue.

Just as a wild guess, I'm thinking that a way to avoid this problem would be to only access /overseer if you have logged in as the over-85 character and everything seems okay. If you do something like swap personas back and forth and then bring up /overseer, there may be some dirty state info somewhere which says you're still the under-85 persona. If the character select switched you to a different persona than you logged out with, don't start /overseer. If your spell book is messed up, don't start /overseer. Trying to avoid those potentially problematic situations might help prevent Overseer from getting into a bad state.
    Rondor and PatCleric like this.
  11. Fenthen aka Rath

You need to be 85 to do Overseer. Progress is account/server based, so if you transfer servers, you get whatever that new server's progress is (likely none). There's even a warning you receive that your overseer progression doesn't carry with you.

I have never seen overseer progress reset. If this happens, try camping to desktop and logging back in.
  12. Veltio Journeyman

I've been in and out of Everquest fully a few times since I noticed my two categories reset. They did not pop back. They have been gaining experience up again from level 1 as I do tasks. No server switches were involved, at least with the issue as it has occurred with my account.
  13. Bernel Augur

I was just able to reproduce some weirdness on the Test server, but it's not permanent loss. Seems like just UI for me. Here's what I did:

* Type /overseer. Get level error message
    * Switch to 115 main.
    * Forget to check stats first. Doh! They would have been low. I haven't done much overseer on Test.
    * Collect rewards from completed quests.
    * Swap back to 76
    * Type /overseer. Get level error message
    * Swap back to 115
    * Progress reset

[IMG]

* However, the progress is restored when I zone:
    [IMG]

I can do this repeatedly by swapping personas, see the progress go to zero, and then be restored after zoning. But I can't figure out how to get it to be permanently reset. Perhaps there's some way the zero'ed overseer state gets saved and then it becomes a permanent change.
    Rondor and Veltio like this.
  14. Veltio Journeyman

Maybe if you finished a quest while in the bugged state, it would add xp to the level 1 category, and it might stick?
    Bernel likes this.
  15. Bernel Augur

That's a good guess. I'll give it a try later today when the quests complete.
    Veltio likes this.
  16. PatCleric Healer of Aradune

Yeah, your screen shots look as if all the stats reset, and the few tasks you completed started the exp gain again, not reloading previous stats. No amount of zoning, camping to desktop or persona swaps have brought the stats back. And only lvl 1 quests AR available to select, which tells me it's not just UI related
    Rondor likes this.
  17. Kilj New Member

My stats never fixed itself. I have just been slowly leveling them back up.

There is also the overseer rotate countdown. Maybe if you are in the UI bugged lv 1 state when the countdown refreshes new tasks, it resets you.

Or it could be something wrong with Aradune since it seems like a few of us are from there based on that other thread.
    Rondor and PatCleric like this.
  18. Bernel Augur

As soon as I complete the quest, the progress all goes back to normal. Here is everything showing no exp:
    [IMG]

As soon as I "Select Option" for that Crafting quest, the bars all go back to where they should be:
    [IMG]

So I'm not sure if this scenario is relevant to the Overseer reset or not. But it should be fixed, regardless. Maybe looking into this visual reset bug will help track down the permanent reset bug as well.
    Veltio likes this.
  19. Rondor Augur

The same or similar issue is now also reported in this new thread:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/overseer-completely-reset.295445/

In my case, ever since the "Overseer reset to level 1" happened to me on December 12, 2023, I have been slowly working to re-level my Overseer quests on the account in question. On all other servers on the same account, and on my other 2 accounts, everything is fine and I still have my Overseer progress. It's just that one account/server where I have tried Personas where "The Blip" happened and I lost all the Overseer levelling progress. I didn't lose any agents (as far as I can tel) in "The Blip" - only Overseer experience progress.
  20. Daikano New Member

I did some testing on Thornblade since the bug already hit me there and I had some completed tasks. The steps I performed were as follows as I think these are the key steps.

1) Log in as your lvl 85+ and do /overseer and complete a mission but don't claim the reward
    2) swap persona without zoning. type /overseer and get an error about not being lvl 85.
    3) swap back to lvl 85 without zoning. The reward window pops up immediately. If you open overseer, the window will open rather than say it hasn't loaded yet (which does occur if you didn't do step 1)
    At this point your overseer stats page will show lvl 1 for everything.
    4) claim the reward. (Don't do this step if you aren't willing to risk encountering this bug!)
    If you don't do step 4, your overseer will definitely reset to normal status as soon as you zone.

In my experiment, the stats didn't stay fully reset but rather the XP bars on the stats page moved up to where they had been before and incremented based on the XP received. However, I hadn't been maxed lvl 5 in this experiment. I was already level 1. I SUSPECT the complete reset bug only manifests when you accept the reward on a category that was maxed XP (like research) while the UI is showing everything at lvl 1 and 0 tasks completed.

I suspect it is safe to assume that no GM is going to go in on the back-end and manually flag my overseer back to the level it was before the bug occurred. I guess I start over. :(
    Rondor and Bernel like this.