Wine xp quest

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by v_elderblaze, Dec 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Yup - including the mail quest where bots lined up and scripted non-stop.

Also all the actions were ever taken on killing the quest exp - and not the underlying issue. Exploit using 3rd party bot programs, which are live and well still. Our friends on Oakwynd are back and known sellers from Tunnel are in bazaar selling 1000s of deepwater ink, and now nodding blue lillies.

Chat is being spammed non-stop for AFK PL services and us normal players thought AFK Expping was not allowed.

Until there is aggressive policing of bots (Especially factory-level raid bot armies, 24x7 farming ones), normal players will get punished for the bots abusing stuff. I kinda have accepted this over the years as part of EQ, you should too. This is not a hill worth fighting for.
  2. AethDW Elder

None of the scenarios here are really great for the company, as it's some combination of:

1. Randomly calling out players as "exploiting" again something that clearly appears to be how the game is intended to work and no one has questioned and/or
    2. Not acting on said oversight by the design team for years and years due to unknown reasons and/or
    3. Having such a horrible early game experience for people leveling on anything but a fresh TLP that people resort to this carpal tunnel inducing mechanic and/or
    4. Not having thought that their expansion's new feature would cause people to use that mechanic in large numbers and done anything before hand to mitigate it (nor, just speculating here, that such a stress would be what caused all the recent lag across many servers/zones)

You know what you should do if this is causing a problem, though? Actively enforce your TOS against people using "illegal" third party programs.
  3. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Define abuse. Can you quote the official regulations about this? I'd really like to see them.

If a quest exists in the game and a player uses that that quest to derive faction, experience, and/or physical rewards that is not abuse. That is simply playing the game as it has been presented to the player. For those EQ veterans out there, the oft used phrase "working as intended comes to mind".

Since there are no GMs in the game any more and the play nice policy has been jettisoned, we are often told to simply deal with it. If abuse (whatever that is) is not to be tolerated then bring back GMs and bring back the play nice policy so we can have a consistent level of abuse free gameplay that is equally enforced on all levels of gameplay in EQ.

Questing is an intended and integral part of the game. It's called EverQuest after all. Not OneQuest or TwoQuest, but EverQuest. The existence of repeatable quests are the norm throughout the MMO industry.

If I want to take the time and kill decaying skeletons for a few days so I can a few levels for my level one character that's my own business and nobody else's. After all, the official trademarked slogan for both EQ and E2 is the following:

Free to Play. Your Way.™
  4. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

#3 is not valid anymore as we can turn in stacked wine and wine stacks to 1000.

Others are spot on.
  5. AethDW Elder

I mean even with 1000 it's horrible to do manually, but the times I did it was to like 43 without any bonus running so it'd be high enough to get PL'd. Probably a lot easier to like 25ish :D
  6. Manafasto Augur

The player can still manually run to each location and use an action script to perform the task.
  7. MYCO9 New Member

I got to 24 in about 45 minutes. It seemed to cost me around 4-5k but I'm not positive on the numbers. It was very cheap. Keep in mind this was with the bonus going, plus alts on the account for legacy bonus.

In regards to it being an exploit or not. Players getting in trouble or not. All of this is concern due to a poorly written response to the problem by not a developer, but the senior community manager. That's the forum moderator basically. I'd prefer this person not have a developer tag, so as to help alleviate any concern regarding a disconnect between the dev team and those playing the game when statements such as this are made.
  8. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Taking bets on NPCs coming back next patch with close to zero exp for turnins with just faction.

We have seen this movie before.
  9. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

To be fair, the Community Manager relays dev responses to us, I don't think he/she is making calls on EQ gameplay.
  10. Numiko Augur

Also to be fair the community manager and probably half the devs are also fairly new and would be unaware that we have been to this Rodeo before about this quest as noted in the 2016 post that was linked. I'm pretty certain it was nurfed one or two times even earlier too.
    fransisco likes this.
  11. Sansas New Member

12. Sansas New Member

Ewaz of_E'ci likes this.
  13. dentalplan lisa needs braces

The thing that's frustrating about this for players, just in case any daybreak employees are reading this, is that a quest like this gets botted to the point where it's affecting zone performance and instead of actually cracking down on botting and automation the quest itself gets nerfed and everyone gets punished for it.
    Kaenneth, Dre. and Ewaz of_E'ci like this.
  14. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

nonsense
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

I clicked this link hoping this was something about Wine that would let me play EQ in MacOS. :(
    Metanis likes this.
  16. Ewaz of_E'ci Journeyman

Took break after the other issues happened, was hoping they would have finally fixed the legacy issue on the current TLP... instead i find that instead of working on that, they are suspending people who manually turned in a quest....

I have canceled both of my accounts and have put DBG on suspension until further notice.
  17. Ravanta Suffer Augur

One of these days DB will realize the only reason why most of us are still playing EQ is because of our friends that also play EQ.
    Barton-Vox, Brontus and Iyacc like this.
  18. Endacer Augur

I seriously don't understand. People have been calling and crying for cheaters to have action taken against them. Instead of getting rid of people who crash entire servers economies, or the MASSIVE amount of bot armies and afk farmers on every single server, they choose to target people turning in an item, for a quest....as the quest was intended. If they decided this quests intent wasn't what they wanted....remove the exp, whatever, but giving people 14 day or higher suspensions (longer than a lot of the previously mentioned cheaters ever get) for using a quest as it was intended is absolutely ridiculous. They really shot themselves in the foot with this one.
    Barton-Vox and Ewaz of_E'ci like this.
  19. magikarp Elder

the sad problem for me forming any perspective on this, since i havent logged in for half a year, is that from memory, p much everyone cheats

so dbg could have looked at those who were doing the wine quest excessively and checked for 3rd party programs running

could be such that:
    wine quest = not banned
    wine quest + cheating = banned (surprised pikachu face)

yet, there's no way to know if this is true because the hypothetical control variable population of NON-cheaters is so minuscule
    Taladir likes this.
  20. fransisco Augur

I bet the real issue was the server lag time. Instantly completing 4,000 quests and all the overhead involved in that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.