Alternate Personas FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Agrippa Augur

Starting city factioning is something that I'm rather curious about. I my character hunts within Crushbone, just as example, would any dark elf personas become killed on site at their origin points? I' planning to play reasonably carefully, but I'm also hoping that it might now be possible to earn every achievement with a single character. There are certain be some much older factions that I'll have to be very careful with.
  2. Raymond Lorekeeper

I am trying to understand different playstyles so not arguing but really trying to understand if I am missing something. When you say you can switch over to cover a critical role, you mean switching over and running your persona all the way to your camp? Are you boxing? Do you mean if your group of friends needs a slower you will run your Shaman out? What if you broke a camp and it is not easy to just run to your current camp?
    Squiggles and Micker99 like this.
  3. Micker99 Augur

The thing is, it doesn't really add much to the game and it could have added a lot. It's not worthless for some people, but it's nothing that's going to change the game or move it to another level, like PoK, Mercs etc. did. Maybe there will be some perk found by using them, but I can't see their advantage over an alt at the moment, seems like more negatives. Really, the switching needs to be less limited.
    Fanra and Squiggles like this.
  4. Cinpus New Member

Meaning you just did miss my point. What advantage does this have over alts?
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure, it doesn't add value to the game for you but there are others who are excited for this new feature and what it will do for them.
    Heploc likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, it isn't made to replace alts but again not everyone wants to make alts in the first place. Just because you don't find any value in it doesn't mean others won't find value in it and use it.
    Heploc and Rijacki like this.
  7. asdfqwerasd Journeyman

their faq says that each persona's faction is their own. i suppose they would have to do it this way to allow you to pick conflicting racial factions and not be kos in your own personas city
  8. Iuwene Augur

Anyone noticed that in the live patchnotes today they didn't mentioned "changing classes quicker" anymore? ;)
    Fanra, Kaenneth and Fiip like this.
  9. Annastasya Augur

i feel like Alternate Persona is not a feature for me. i have reasonably limited play time. i can raid on a consistent schedule. i can do group stuff enough on my main to make reasonable progress toward making my character as useful as i can for raids.

i set aside some time to dink around on alts and really enjoy the game. What i enjoy about alts is that the characters play differently. The classes, races, gear and experiences in the same environments i've been through on my main or other alts is DIFFERENT and thus, adds to replayability.

The seeming push in the last decade to make every Everquest character similar, or capable of the same feats and the same experiences while playing makes the game worse, in my opinion. Alternate Personas sound to me like a hard lean into that direction. It's interesting how real world counter culture is pushing it's way into my escape from the real world.

But i digress. Simply put, i don't have the time or desire to turn my one main character into a weird multiclass hybrid with arbitrary limitations to functionality. This feature seems like it was made for people who play a LOT, have tons of max level alts, would like the convenience of leveling alts with access to the inventory and achievements of their mains, and would love to stop paying for 5 accounts to have everything they want available on just one account, given time.
    code-zero, Squiggles and Micker99 like this.
  10. Cuzon Elder

It doesnt even tell you anything about it personas. It just says see the in game help window. Why not include details in the patch message?!? Are they trying to hide how awful the restrictions are??
    Squiggles likes this.
  11. Agrippa Augur

That's certainly a fair question. Having 14 character slots per server is enough to cover any of the major roles, I think. Having that many slots (for myself) wasn't enough for me to fully explore the berserker and wizard classes, as specific examples, so I'm actually rather unsure of all of the possibilities there. But if a group or raid (or just myself) need any role covered, I'd be able to swap over with a single character now to cover any role. This isn't likely going to appeal to anyone that already has access to every possible alt on multiple accounts at any time. For anyone who might like to enjoy the possibility of doing just about anything with a single character, though, this has certain appeal.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Do you need to have classes at max level in order to "have" that class on your character? Or does a character/class not really exist unless it's max level?

Personally knowing the player you're responding to, slow leveling would actually be a boon to them.

For myself, my Vah beastlord will finally be able to learn to sing along with her mother even if it requires going home and changing clothes or changing in one of the big gathering locations (fast camp spots). As a 120 beastlord, she would still fulfill that even if her barding was in the single digits forever. I am also drawn to the idea of being able to have all tradeskills on one character, my half-elf bard, but because I am an RPer, I am "struggling" with the race requirements (and how much more I would need to expand my Depot on my main account vs having some of the stuff on the other 2 :) ).
    Ndaara likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't need any characters at max level, just need a character with a free persona slot.
  14. asdfqwerasd Journeyman

they seem to be designed for non-free trade servers and non-oakwynd where no trade items are heirloom. i play on thorn and i can't see any huge upside to them over an alt unless you're wanting all the achievements for tradeskills or something. not sure where they came up with this concept and that players would be interested in it and then assumed the devs could pull it off in a manner that wasn't crap
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even on a free trade or heirloom server they save you the trouble from moving items from character to character as you switch to a different one to play.
  16. Raymond Lorekeeper

I am going to make the best of it as I purchased the xpac on my Bard and have 3 free slots. I am going to log in and wipe out NTOV and loot all the no level requirement no trade gear and twink a SHM and ROG to mess around and do Alchemy and Poison. I guess that is their intent?
    Heploc likes this.
  17. asdfqwerasd Journeyman

at the cost of destroying your available inventory space? until they come up with some system to hold alt personas spare equipped items thats going to be problematic no matter what server you play on
    Fiip, Squiggles and Marton like this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

With the amount of 40+ slot bags you can get in the modern game unless you are a hoarder you should have plenty of inventory slots for items to swap between personas.
  19. Heploc New Member

I like your attitude. Better than complaining about the feature we really haven't had sufficient time to try out on a Live server.
  20. asdfqwerasd Journeyman

i feel like you're defending their choices here, i'm not out to debate your viewpoint but i won't be using them and this is partly the reason for it
    Squiggles likes this.