Alternate Personas FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

Because every player would have a multiclass character that would make most classes even more useless.
    Especially support heavy classes.

Want tracking and foraging ? Just swap to that ranger, druid or bard persona.
    Want picklock to open that door ? Just swap to the rogue or bard persona.
    Want Shroud of Stealth for a save passage ? Just swap to the rogue persona.
    Want CotH or a port ? Just swap to the magician or DRU/WIZ persona.
    Want to rez someone (like your box alt) with 96% ? Just swap to the cleric persona.

And so on.
  2. Tuco Augur

Within the context about how live EQ is played in 2023, none of that is really overpowered. Anyone who has been active for a bit that doesn't have a bard box to do tracking, lock picking etc probably wouldn't get a persona for it either. Guild hall and pok ports are extremely effective. Player mercs offer 96% rezzes.
    Kaenneth and Micker99 like this.
  3. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Being able to switch to any persona out in the world would make the game more fun. All they need to curtail the power is make it limited by some exhaustible resource so you have to make choices about when to use it.
  4. Fiip New Member

Because of a little economic factor known as "opportunity cost." DPG is a small company with limited development resources. The result is that every hour spent trying to make AP work took away from something that everyone posting negative feedback on this thread would have enjoyed more.

At this point, it's likely transitioned into a sunk cost fallacy for DPG because of the amount of development time put into it. What is unfortunate about sunk cost is that it rarely matters how little money will be earned from it - because they built it, they have to try and sell it.

By contrast, the most money-earning suggestions I've seen posted in this thread which would absolutely mean the difference between begrudgingly buying the expansion for no reason other than increased levels and paying a premium would be a collectable and/or ornamentation depot. Both are filling up more and more space in my bags, yet no solutions are available to help me manage them at scale. AP only makes both worse. So instead of features that more of the community would be excited to throw money at DPG for more slots, we have something that ~95% or more of the comments in this thread are negative about.

I won't be asking for a refund because I only purchased the base expansion expecting AP to fall flat. If DPG had knocked it out of the park, I would have upgraded to Collector's but instead I'll save that money for expansion #31 and hope that they develop a useful feature that reduces inventory creep rather than making it 10x worse like AP does.
  5. Bernel Augur

Maybe what they should do is allow fast swap, but only on live servers and only in FTP zones. It doesn't seem like it really matters all that much if someone can have an easier time molo-ing in the older expansions by fast-swapping their personas right where they are. It doesn't seem game breaking if a Warrior in a HoT zone can swap to a Bard to do some tracking. That same Warrior can just make a Bard alt on a free account and drag him around for tracking as needed. Allowing him to use personas doesn't really give him overpowering abilities that he can't get some other way. It just removes a lot of the cumbersome aspect.
  6. Evertrek Augur

all other MMOs have this and EQ2 also needs this (not the silly loadout feature it got a few years ago).

if there is one (1) rollback due to AP, i will uninstall and never play this game again. thanks for 25 years of fun.... i've been on Luclin since 2000 and that would be a sad day.

p.s. fix the plat dup bugs and the econemy on both EQ1,EQ2.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yup 100%
  8. leaola Journeyman

maybe this is a way to get more money... everyone will need more room in banks... how much a month for 2 extra slots???? how much to buy extra mount, armor, familiar, transport slots... how much for extra dragon hoard or trade skill slots ( lvling a new lvl 1 tinkerer or poison mark use low lvl crap that you would let rot )...
    Iven likes this.
  9. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

That's not an answer to the question, or even in the same context. It's a lot of side mouth talk and double speak. So really, why all the trouble to try to talk people out of using personas, if they want to use them? My reasons for not using them and asking for a refund are all over these forums, but not once will you see me try to BULLY people into doing the same.
  10. Angahran Augur

Simple answer, scrap 'Lore' entirely and use 'Lore Equipped' instead.
    Cavall, Moege and Cimbaeth like this.
  11. Cimbaeth Elder

Personally, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of personas. I wish that each persona could load equipment onto a page like mercs do. That would solve the "overloading my bags" issue.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You might need to remove augs to convert, though. That would be an issue.
  13. Fiip New Member

Labelling people expressing opinions and having an open dialog "bullying" is in and of itself, a form of bullying. It appears you are for some reason trying to stifle the discussion being had when the question you originally responded to was made without malice or ill will and included genuine feedback about alternative ways to achieve the same end without DPG investing in a feature that seems to be dissatisfying a majority of the voices on this forum and every other place I've seen AP explored socially (Reddit, Discord, etc). White-knighting DPG or the minority of players expressing a supporting position on this topic isn't going to win you any internet points. Why don't you let the conversation continue without suggesting people are somehow crossing a line into unhealthy discourse when there are no indications of that in 9 pages so far.

One of the best points I've seen made and want to repeat is that none of this criticism is being aimed at the developer(s) whose hard work has resulted in this situation. These are product management decisions that someone higher up is responsible for but is unlikely to take accountability or change because that's not how business tends to work. Hopefully in 10-11 months we get a more exciting announcement for the next expansion's feature that will benefit a majority of players and have us excited to buy the higher tier packages for the extra slots/widgets/whatever it is.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Don't you have to remove augs to evolve something? It's the same thing.
  15. Tuco Augur

Feels like AP inventory creep would be made *much* easier by adding two inventory slots and 4 bank slots that are unique to each persona. This would work well for someone with 1 persona, and someone with 10 of them.
  16. Alnitak Augur

Hmm, are you suggesting to create an individual pocket in my pants for each of my split personalities?
    They'll discuss it later in their meeting and I'll let you know what they decide.
    Ndaara, Iven and Tuco like this.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

That a persona in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :p
  18. GrandOpener Elder

niente stated that they "would really like" separate storage for equipment set items. (But carefully did not promise that it would ever definitely be implemented.)

A very important question that will remain for some time after expansion launch is whether this system is considered "done" and what we get is what we get, or whether there will be ongoing development to try to keep it useful.

I'll admit I'm pretty down on APs right now, but there is a lot of possibility here (and clearly substantial player interest). It could eventually become a well-liked feature if the devs are given the opportunity to keep iterating on it over time.
  19. Micker99 Augur

What are you going to enjoy so much about them?
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Personas are a bit disapointing. If you have to go to a different zone to switch to them, I'd rather have been able to leave them in different zones so it is quicker to get back to what I was doing on the persona before I switched.

I'll find use for a couple of slots, I have some low level achievements and hunters which I think would be more entertaining to do on lower level personas than a 120 char.

Personas are extremely overpowered, but I must admit being that powerful was fun. I think they I will use them more for something to do while waiting for someone else to log in to group with or to raid with, or when I only have a half hour or so and want to do something productive.
    Ndaara likes this.