Regarding the emergency downtime

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Micker99 Augur

Oh wow thanks for the info. That's quite a mess for them lol. Not sure how to handle that one. Did it affect all servers? Reminds me of Diablo, when people used to dupe items online lol.
  2. Justaguy17 New Member

Seemed a bit odd. There weren't any krono up on market, and the ones I posted were gobbled up pretty quick.
  3. Necreta New Member

Rumor has it the Turkey Dispenser was broken and nobody was getting the bird.
    Nennius, Herf and Fenthen like this.
  4. Angahran Augur

If it's a dupe then it should be possible to determine which characters duped and roll those back.
    If they try to roll back every character for a week it's going to be a disaster.

Simply scan every character, if the character suddenly went from having 1 of item X to having 10k of item X then that's an issue. Flag the character.
    Scila and Fenthen like this.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

So you rollback accounts/characters that took part in duplication, ban accounts/IPs, and unlock the servers. Done.

Not knowing about this for a week and then shutting down everything in response maybe wasn't thought out very well. Not testing patches before pushing to production, also, not the best strategy move.
  6. Molybedium I'm Lost

Too busy testing AP to test live patches Sir! :rolleyes:
    Metanis and Fenthen like this.
  7. Justaguy17 New Member

So - dupers - easy to flag them I imagine.
    But what about the money/extras thats already trickled (or flooded) the system, with innocent people who were simply buying / selling as usual. I don't think there's a way to track or reclaim that money once its laundered.

Just my two cents.
  8. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Please, no targeted rollbacks. It didn’t work in 2004, and it won’t work now.
  9. Fenthen aka Rath

You leave them alone. They were honest transactions.

Duping has been around since EQ started, and still exists for a few folks who knows how to dupe raid items and sell them (FV server). You don't roll back everyone who took no part in it but may have purchased an item without knowing.
    alanus likes this.
  10. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

This does nothing to fix the economy of servers that still have a robust plat-based economy, nor does it do anything to assuage the people who sold kronos for what are now insignificant amounts of platinum (which is a huge selling point of the krono system as a whole). That means it has a significant ripple on a gameplay level, as well as hurting consumer confidence for the game's monetization.

It's a big deal.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

No, everything gets rolled back.
    Rouan, Velisaris_MS, Trolgar and 2 others like this.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

Why?
  13. Scila Augur

It's sad that some feel the need to do something like this.
    Rijacki and Windance like this.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

because thats how rollbacks work. It doesnt matter if "you didnt know", its too hard to prove intent. Everything gets rolled back.
    Trolgar likes this.
  15. Paradisic_parasite Elder

The dupers get a permaban, why would you rollback them? Lol.
    The rollback is for everyone to fix the mess the dupers made. Rolling back the dupers only won't fix any of that.
  16. Windance Augur

Roll back all the servers.

Come forward with an announcement of why it had to be done. Placing the blame on those who choose to exploit the game for real money.

Offer extra game time and bonus week to make up for the interruption in game play.
    Tulisin_Dragonflame likes this.
  17. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Look man I had to google to see whether the "u" or "a" was first, I'm going to get my google search's worth.
  18. Gorg00 Augur

Also like, you don't know that people who didn't dupe but now have too much money are innocents either.

Otherwise the dupers just use burner accounts and trade with their "innocent" alts.
  19. Bonemelter Nemesis Enforcer

So, they create a bug which allows for exploits, bad actors take advantage of it, which justifies a rollback, meanwhile how much of the money spent on items in the DB store like potions, clickies and heritage crates is reimbursed
    Fenthen likes this.
  20. Decalany New Member

The problem with this is that the bug was apparently easy enough to accidentally trigger. I had two items in my Tradeskill Depot that exponentially increased. I didn't profit from it nor purposely try to trigger the bug (I haven't the slightest idea how its even triggered). One of my items that was being duplicated was small vials (1000 or so turned into 3.2 million over the course of the day), the other being Heliotrope (300ish -> 13,000).

Rolling back/banning accounts, or blacklisting IP addresses for anyone who took part will end up catching all the people this accidentally happened to. As I've mentioned, I made no plat/Krono and have no idea what triggers the bug, should I be banned? If I was trying to trigger this glitch on purpose for a profit I would think Blue Diamonds would fetch a bit more cash than reselling small vials...

There should be a way to track people who had a massive influx of plat or Krono to target those people... I hope (possibly wishful thinking).
    Fenthen likes this.