Should encounter locking system be moved to Live servers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Enable it every April Fool's Day.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. YellowBelly Augur

No
    No
    No
    No
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

I can understand why they tried FTE for their new TLP server. From what I've read here on these forums it's been a mixed blessing for the CS staff at DBG. Only they know if it was worth it.

I think the cost/benefit analysis would be drastically different on Live servers. Perhaps they actually do such analysis?
    Hobitses likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No, no, no and no!

I don't want to see it on future TLPs either. Oakwynd wasn't for me and any future TLP with FTE won't be for me either.
  5. Angahran Augur

NO, NO, NO and again NO!
  6. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

I play on Oakwynd, and so far I love the server. But encounter locking is hardly noticeable. It would be easy to get a character to level 50 and not even know that encounter locking was a thing.
    Therefore, I think it should not be added to other servers, because it really makes no difference to anything. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

If FTE is hardly noticeable, as you state, then we might get a surprise patch note on live servers that this is now a thing. If the next xpac is anything like TBL or TDS where they have zones locked behind progression, then FTE would be very noticeable as people try to get these accomplished when the xpac goes live.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Point of reference, DB has never said they were intending FTE for Live (or even for other TLP). They only mentioned a feature on Oakwynd could be considered for Live. It's far more likely to be the XP bonus for max level characters both as an incentive to max level and as an incentive to create new characters which would have the potential of increasing the level spread of players to bring back population to older expansions.
    Hobitses likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They can keep that on Oakwynd as well. :p
    Mikana likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea but you know they will eventually or why put it on a tlp in the first place.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have already stated that this is a solution for an issue that is only relevant to early era TLP servers which suggests that it has no place on live servers. It was added to the TLP server as an attempt to solve a TLP only problem.
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

My 3x XP recruit-a-friend account already has six 120's, I hope it stacks multiplivity!

Personally, I'm hoping for FV-trade-heirloom rule.
    Hobitses likes this.
  13. Tappin Augur

Are you even sure TLP is doing well this year? If the EQ streamers are any indication, I doubt it's doing as well as last year's...
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

And they have yet to explicity come out and say that FTE isn't going to Live servers, so you have to assume that's still the plan and was the plan all along.

With as much hate as FTE has generated on this forum, if they didn't intend for it to go to Live servers, don't you think they would have immediately come out and said that in order to put out the flames?

I've discovered in this game that when there's a "good" option for something and a "bad" option for something, the devs will always choose the "bad" option.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

Oakwynd got launched only for one reason: Testing the encounter locking system. If the tests are successfull the feature might be added to the life servers.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Pretty sure Oakwynd got launched because they thought it was time for a new TLP and not just to test the encounter system.

"some" feature from Oakwynd might be added to Live servers. Not sure I ever read something specific about encounter locking.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Whoops Augur

No.

Also, regarding "it must be going to live servers, too" theories:

(emphasis mine)

What part of that says "testing for all live servers"? What part of that implies a need or desire for that solution or the wide-spread existence of those issues on live servers?
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

IF they were standing by its primary goal it would be removed after X amount of time.
  19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Daybreak needed a few new concepts to come up with so people would resubscribe for the yearly TLP, and FTE was one of them. I think everyone can calm down about this, I don't see any reason to suggest it would come to live servers.

It's like thinking the random loot code of Mischief would come to live too - it won't, you can relax.
  20. Mikana Augur