Should encounter locking system be moved to Live servers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Why? It's not an issue that needs solving on live.
    Hobitses, Celephane and Nennius like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'd wager it wasn't really an issue that needed solving on TLP servers either, especially once you get past the first 2 or 3 expansions and everyone is spread out more.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Am I the only person who sees it as a sort of test thing? Try, hate it, dump it from all future versions of The Matrix.
  4. Nessirfiti Augur

It's a system that Taken in the most kind light to encounter locking, only solves a problem that only exists for the first couple expansions of a TLPs life, and even then only in 3 zones.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the problem it was intended to solve, wasn't as big of a problem as it's proponents made it out to be, and that It's caused new versions of that problem, judging by the posts in the TLP forums of people bragging how many named mobs they've stolen from groups they've decided are unworthy of them.
  5. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I was trying to complete Hunter of House of Thule, and in both Miraguls and Erudin Burning there were high level Berserker automated players that would kill anything that spawned no matter if it was engaged by someone else or not; after petitioning they were still at it for several days disrupting normal play in multiple zones, I presume farming cash loots.

So yes, it's still sometimes a problem (but not the root problem)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sure, if the developers have been looking for a way to instigate a player revolt that could potentially cause serious financial damage & tank their credibility as a games company even further.
    Metanis likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

8. Igorath-Bertox Elder

no. you want it, go play on oakwynd.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Swiss Augur

10. Bigstomp Augur

Live servers are pretty good at getting along with other humans.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  11. code-zero Augur

Truth, also I'm pretty sure that training was the principle activity being addressed with FTE and that apparently was an even bigger problem than I had imagined and I have been trained on TLP servers before
  12. Knifen Augur

Dont even think Id notice it on live servers. Havent had any issues with people training or trying to steal a mob. Only time I could see appreciating the FTE lock is if I could ever catch that pesky Vaniki up long enough I could aggro lock him long enough to get on the other toons for kill credit. I could see folks grabbing that mob if unaggroed just due to the scripted rare chance of spawning every few days.
  13. Windance Augur

The OP posted a troll question IMHO.

Here is a follow up troll question: Can we bring all the bad behavior from TLP's to live servers!

Lets advocate no camps, open world raids, etc. on live !

Yes, that sounds like a great plan.
  14. Tutankamen Augur

No. And it really pains me to know that they spent development time and effort on something that nobody wants and that they could have spent that time working on literally anything else.
  15. Koshk Augur

A good attempt, Fian. Unfortunately, I suspect quite a few replies don't meet your initial qualification.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Voting no to this illicit forum poll.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

If he wanted to only hear from Oakwynd players then he should have posted it on the TLP forum.
    edit: and why should oakwynd players get a say on what happens to live servers?
  18. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

They put a lot of development time into it and it would be a massive positive feature for Live.
  19. Koshk Augur

Had the thread been written in the TLP section, do you believe the outcome would have been different? I don't. The same, usual suspects would have chimed in anyway. Some lack the self-control to ignore the "Reply" button.

Besides, Oakwynd and Live are not mutually exclusive. There are players who play on both. If anyone should "get a say", I'd hope it would be those folks.

Really though, I'm confident DPG will carry on however they see fit, regardless of feedback. The community didn't have a say about FTE in the first place. Hard to believe we'll get consulted before the next move is made.

Still, "hope springs eternal", right? Post on the forums anyway, and perhaps some benevolent employee is listening and takes action. <shrug>
  20. Hdizzle Augur

Noooo. FTE is training wheels, like truebox. Keep it on the kiddy tracks.