Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Risiko Augur

Although I know I am wasting my time making this reply because who ever is pushing this idea over there is not going to back down, but I'm going to make this reply anyway.

FTE is a bad idea for EverQuest. It's that simple.

It might be good for some other MMORPGs, but it is a bad idea for EverQuest.

The simple truth is that EverQuest was designed completely from scratch with a non-FTE concept. The entirety of the game is based on non-FTE.

This is akin to taking a turn-based RPG and adding in FPS game design. It simply does not fit the game design in anyway shape or form.

What you are creating is a frankenstein game that will require tons of band-aids to make it sort of kinda work. It's going to be one band-aid after another as the game breaking consequences of FTE come to fruition in EverQuest.

None of what you have offered up in this FAQ has eliminated the issues that are going to plague this change to the game because you can not eliminate all the issues that this is going to cause. All you have done by putting out this FAQ is to assure everyone that you don't get it and you are going to go forward with it no matter what anyone says.

So, by all means, go on and implement this frankenstein creation. Make sure you put your name on this game altering design you are so proud of here. That way, the rest of the industry will know just who was responsible for implementing the worst game design ever in a MMORPG that has managed to stay around for over 25 years. It clearly needs to have the core of its game design changed seeing as it made it 25 years as it originally was designed considering that the average MMORPG doesn't even make it 5 years these days. You're a genius.
    Hawfunk, pipedreams3, Critt and 9 others like this.
  2. Moforyguy12345 Augur

One other thing that worries me about FTE is the game feeling less dangerous and getting stale. As a Necro killing a named before someone else gets there to get it is adrenaline inducing and with FTE all I'll have to do is go in and snag it and take my sweet time. No more worries about anything. That makes me feel like I'll get bored quick.
    Balrigard likes this.
  3. Trident Elder

Where do you get the numbers that show BB and FV are always above Mischief?
  4. Trident Elder

How do you know this? You wouldn't just be pulling a theory out of thin air to support your argument would you? Or did you have access to internal numbers?
  5. Zansobar Augur

The goal is to bring players who quit the game back to the game, and interesting TLP rulesets, like a Mischief 2.0 would do that in spades.

DPG doesn't care about you if you are already paying to play on a TLP, the only way to grow revenue is to attract past or completely new players to the game. Live just doesn't do that due to the bloat, a fresh start TLP server with a great ruleset, like a Mischief 2.0, would.
  6. Zansobar Augur

They are keeping the server until Live because that is the rules they stated when the server launched. They don't want to get into a bait and switch issue with players. I'd be perfectly fine if they launched new TLPs that would merge into a Live server after X expansions, or when the population dropped to a certain level, as long as they stated that at launch.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure, but that doesn't mean that the goal should be to make every TLP the same so that player will just move from TLP to TLP server as the new one launches. There will be times when the new TLP doesn't meet every players needs and they chose to not play on it.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And there is a reason that they do that for each new TLP they launch. Also it should be noted that they will end a TLP server early if it doesn't have a strong enough population to survive as they are doing exactly that this year.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Mashef Augur

To be fair there have been like 20 positive feedbacks on Oakwynd and about 15000 negative. But go off about how popular it will be.
  10. Komodon Augur

You don't need Daybreak's internal data to make a statement like that.

It's a game heavy on the social interaction, and for those that enjoy that aspect there is this super popular thing called Discord these days that lots of people flock to. Join a couple of them over time and even with hundreds of former/current/future EQ players popping in and out it actually ends up being pretty easy to keep tabs on who ends up playing on what server.

Don't take my world for that though. Give it a try and see if that passes the thin air test for yourself.
  11. uberkingkong Augur

The method they use is called waterfall approach. Failure approach, gets people to leave the game. Costs from keeping servers up. Not very good, its 2023, a lot better methodologies out there.

They need to be more AGILE,
    [IMG]

Right now they have a closed doors, hand picked community people that make the decisions.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/community-resource-council-f-a-q.280526/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ty-resource-council-mission-statement.280525/

This Oakwynd is most likely the product of that community resource council.
    Notice how the developers, theres no team in EQ that are responding, in AGILE approach way.

It's there way, the highway, waterfall approach.
    Look at Vaniki, "can't do it, can't do it, its impossible"
    crickets.
    Waterfall approach have to just sit and watch it fail hard

Again the resource council, closed doors, hand picked, thats who they goto for first lines of suggestions.

Are they diverse as in, what is % of raiders, what is % of pvp'ers, what is % of non-raiders, what is % of TLP players, etc.

hand picked means biased, closed doors means not community friendly..

You want to get angry at anyone, https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ty-resource-council-mission-statement.280525/
    thats who you need to be angry with.

I'd like to know this data
    Are they diverse as in, what is % of raiders, what is % of pvp'ers, what is % of non-raiders, what is % of TLP players, etc.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is kind of hard to do an "agile" approach to launching a new yearly TLP server and trying to do it that way isn't always a good thing.
  13. Komodon Augur

As i've basically already stated and pointed out multiple times now, attempting to frame that data point as an actual representation of "everybody" doesn't really pass the scratch under the surface test. Especially when a decent enough chunk of that amounts to a lot of fairly rabidly/upset posters endlessly repeating themselves, and/or is those same people logging over to and/or registering alt posting accounts to purposely pile on with their displeasure (like the one I just responded to before you for example, and that from all accounts here looks to have been created solely for that purpose).
  14. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

I mean we do not know that. It simply could be that people who normally have no reason to post on the forums are upset about a change they feel will fundamentally change everquest.

I haven't posted on the forums pretty much since Aradune even though I have played all previous TLPs until the next one opens. But I didnt have reason to make a comment about anything because nothing was going to "destroy" a core function of the game that I played. Others may feel the same way.

Regardless, we can see (and they did see which is why they tried to appeal to the masses with some changes to make FTE a less bitter pill to swallow) that it is a very contentious (if not unpopular) idea.
  15. Jimmy2times Elder

The forums definitely aren't everyone but the represent a solid portion of players and the feelings of them that aren't represented. Twitch, reddit, and discord, from my observations, share the same sentiment as well. It is a strong majority of negative comments about the upcoming new TLP. I have to say I am in agreement as well, not that my single opinion really matters much, but just add to the pile lol.
  16. Komodon Augur

It could also simply be a lot more of what i'm suggesting and happening on an bigger scale then I'm even I'm assuming it is. Not like some of the people making a relative living at playing these games couldn't or wouldn't have enough of an invested interest to go to some pretty far extremes.

But If you want to lean heavy on some benefit of any and all doubt stance after taking a quick individual evaluation peak at a few of these posters total combined activity here, and in particular a few of the most constantly vocal accounts solely popping up April 5th...to each their own.
  17. Trident Elder

So...completely anecdotal evidence that has no merit.

The leaked server numbers tend to crush that idea pretty hard. About 1 year after Mischief's launch and in the final weeks of GoD, with Yelinak and Vaniki slated to open, it was hitting the same login count and DBC points spent as the top 3 non free trade servers combined. I can't even imagine how lopsided this was in the first 3 expansions before that crowd bounced.

Vaniki and Yelinak were then released and Mischief's numbers did not move and essentially maintained what it was hitting beforehand. All of this was occurring during a period where most would agree to be the point where players abandon other TLPs. Yelinak proceeded to get more logins up until Kunark, while Vaniki was never even remotely a real competitor. After Kunark Mischief took back it's top spot for a majority of the time minus Yelinak expansion launch weeks during it's golden era.

It's understandable if you do not like the ruleset, but the effort and ideas some of you come up with to discredit Mischief's success or profitability is o_O Unless they come out with an epically popular ruleset next year after dropping this stinker; Mischief will end up being the most successful TLP in just about every metric by a massive margin.
    Lineater, Dalyrina and KronoCatcher like this.
  18. Zansobar Augur

Players that like to play later expansions will stay on the old server, players that like the original and older expansions might move, but you will get a lot of ex-players on a new TLP, you very rarely will on an older one.
  19. Zansobar Augur

Well said.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that doesn't change the fact that the new TLP servers are not designed to be for everyone each year.