Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Vindar Augur

Except when you are working with the software these people use, it really takes no effort at all. What you are describing can already be done.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Don't misses still agro the mobs?
    Demetri likes this.
  3. Triconx Augur

You realize swing aggro is the same whether or not you hit the mob? It's easily proven by just...tanking Emp Ssra without a bane wep. You're still generating aggro even though you are doing ZERO damage. Never ceases to amaze me how people don't understand basic mechanics yet will complain about any potential changes to said mechanics and provide easily disprovable arguments on why the changes are bad.
    Demetri likes this.
  4. magikarp Elder

yep, risk-free training will be nice for blitzing bosses. i also expect some combination of motm pet ignoring mechanics and bosses locked to that mage/necro to be a potentially interesting way of moving a boss into a chosen position

question is what happens to the lock if the sole player that pulled dies or drops agro? the announcement suggests the mob walks home and only then unlocks. if that’s true then dragging it away and fd’ing or taking a coth box could be used by just a couple ppl to buy lots of time to prep a raid force
    what happens if they’re invited into a raid after pulling?
    can we heal them without drawing any agro to the lock?

another funny thing i predict is since raids are capped, and if healers can still heal players locked into an encounter, might as well just put all the dps you can fit into the raid and ask the healers to commit to the out of raid healing meta

it’s going to be really weird for sure, but yea probably faster for hardcore guilds once the system is understood
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Prior to the TLP ruleset being announced, I had been seriously considering giving a TLP a try. Even though my real life schedule doesn't afford me a lot of game time, I am having a change to some of my scheduling that fits with about the time the server would be launching. I started playing EQ2 from a few hours after its launch and there is something about fresh/new that has a certain mystique. Even though I have been playing EQ for many years, I thought it might be interesting to start in the 'beginning' with only the beginning available. Having played on FV most of my time in EQ, not having free trade or the shared bank of my current other characters would be the biggest difference but that comes with 'new', too.

When the ruleset was announced, I still thought it would might be fun giving it a go. I'm indifferent to FTE having played with it before in other games and knowing it's not a big deal and doesn't really alter most positive things in game play. I know it most from EQ2. I haven't played EQ2 in a while but that has absolutely nothing to do with FTE or anything even closely related to it, not even the grouped encounters (which aren't FTE and I sincerely doubt are being brought to EQ). I also had played with something like the Legacy bonuses on EQ2 and it barely affected me there, too, even though I am an alt-a-holic. I am much more of a "it's the journey" player so I rarely watch my XP bar or whatnot like a hawk.

After the toxic sludgefest of the comments on the forum decrying anything not Mischief 2.0 or not exactly what any of the posters thinks is 'the only' right way to have the game (i.e. the extreme ire of the anti-FTE), I began to seriously question if I wanted to subject myself to the toxicity that they represent. If they truly do represent the majority of the TLP player base, I have zero desire to mire myself in that muck. Since I am more of a 'journey' player, I started to think about the "progression" attitude on full display, that nothing matters but the race.

But then I got to thinking about that, too. If those demanding FTE be abolished are going to stay away from Oakwynd since it's not likely FTE will be removed, those insisting the progression needs to start and x after classic stay away because they've played classic too many times and don't want to start there again, and those demanding Mischief 2.0 is the only way to have a TPL are to stay away from Oakwynd, it might actually be a really good TLP for someone who normally plays Live but wants to try a new TLP or even for the more casual TLPer who wants to experience the progression. While I still have my doubts about the race, I think there is room for the journey, too, with the toxicity self-weeded away.

So, please, if you don't like the ruleset of Oakwynd, don't play on Oakwynd. If the ruleset appeals to you or if you're indifferent (as I am) to the ruleset, then play on Oakwynd if you want to try a TLP or you want a change of TLP. The other current TLPs aren't being shuttered; you can continue playing on one of those if you want to play on TLP. The lifespan of the TLP servers aren't planned around a single year recycle. No one is forcing anyone to move from a current TLP to the new one. Have fun on the others.

And... if the population of Oakwynd isn't high enough for Daybreak to consider it sustainable, it's possible it could be shut earlier or they could only just deem the experimental parts didn't get the desired outcomes.

It's really that simple, you don't need to attack other players who might not agree that FTE is a great evil or that Mischief 2.0 is the only way to go. Play on other servers, vote with your attendance or lack there-of.

But, yes, if the population of Oakwynd is sustainable and Norrath doesn't crack from the inclusion of FTE, they might deem the experiment a success and, yes, I know that is exactly and only what you fear, that others could have fun in ways you don't approve.

Note, though, that even with Mischief's high popularity (and FV's as well) it isn't compelling them to bring Free Trade to all servers. FV has been around for over 2 decades and was only ever a nominal RP server (which became less and less RP as the years went on) and has been free trade the whole time.

Ironically, the one thing from FV's original days, one character per account, that was deemed to be its death knell is exactly what so many claim is the "only correct" way to play on a TLP as a reason why the Legacy ruleset is unacceptable.

Sure, I would like to have Heirloom on most No Trade on Oakwynd as part of the Legacy aspect, but I would also like that on all servers, really.
  6. Trident Elder

Impressive to claim how things will work without knowing the full details then in the same post proclaim how things will continue to work without all the details.
  7. 6BoxerOnCoirnav Lorekeeper

8. Thatoneguy666 Elder

No, I'm not afraid someone might have fun in a way I don't approve of. Oakwynd can exist for all time as far as I'm concerned, as a bastion of hand-holding, rail-road gameplay, embraced by casuals and enjoyed by millions. No problem with that. No problem with WoW or any other game I don't play either.

Just don't infect the rest of the severs with it. For me and many others it would kill a lot of what makes EQ special.
  9. Triconx Augur

Because the very things they claim will not exist will continue because FTE doesn't functionally change in group mechanics, only the outside looking in, genius.
  10. wade_watts Augur

This feedback should be seriously considered. This player may or may not play the TLP because he doesn't have much time. He's played periodically before and stopped playing for indeterminate reasons. I for one think it makes sense to cater a ruleset to the types of players that may play, sometimes, for a short period, only if it's convenient with their RL schedule. This sounds enormously more impactful instead of catering it to the significant majority of players that run multiple accounts for consistently long periods of time supporting the game and the company through many TLP's and have many connections with players that can relay what would bring people back.
  11. Trident Elder

You are much more fun to rile up than Waring! I appreciate the tradeoff that happened today.
  12. Triconx Augur

Says the guy who spent a week straight posting and reading about Oakwynd. Look in the mirror of who's riled up there, nephew.
  13. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Never grouped anywhere and had an oog healer? oog buffer? oog dps? oog puller, helping things along? Making the incredible slog of EQ AAs a little less unbearable?

Well you can screw off with all of that with FTE. A very brief evaluation of how the mechanics of oog healing and buffing aggro will work clearly indicate that the ability to buff or heal anyone outside your group MUST be removed entirely. Any other system is going to be an absolute cesspool of abuse and exploits.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  14. Triconx Augur

Maybe...get gud?

Regardless, oog anything isn't the discussion at hand. We are discussing IN GROUP aggro mechanics. Stay on topic or don't post. Anything else is not constructive and considered troll behavior.
  15. Trident Elder

My guy, you literally live on these forums every single day and take the contrarian stance on every single thread that gets posted. You have absolutely no leg to stand on.
  16. Thatoneguy666 Elder

The discussion is FTE. Which affects every aspect of the game in a grouping scenario in an open world zone. That's a big portion of all of EQ. You consider whatever you want troll behavior there good buddy. Quite frankly I don't give a rat's a$$.

The advocates such as yourself have really nothing to say when it comes to how this will drastically change the game we all know and love besides, "Well it might be nice to have a change."

If you trust this team to make such complex and sweeping changes, I'd say you're overly optimistic. Even in the best case scenario, I don't want this mediocre and played out mechanic borrowed from other titles which have 60s respawns being slapped onto the Everquest experience, with the standard 20min+ respawns. .
    ForumBoss likes this.
  17. Triconx Augur

I dare you to look at my history and claim that, nephew.
  18. Triconx Augur

You replied specifically to in group aggro mechanics and derailed into oog.

Regardless, the game already has abilities that temporarily ignore aggro on everyone, but allow them to generate aggro, and stay focused the person using said ability until the ability wears off. It's fully possible devs are expanding on that for oog aggro mechanics in which the player will generate aggro but the mob will remain locked on the FTE group. If the lock breaks the mob will swap to the next highest aggro person and lock to them. But of course this is SPECULATION just like 99.99% of the posts littering these threads.

I guess you don't know about these abilities?

Edit: I've made it well known when I disagree with the devs. Those posts are easy to find. I'm not going to bat for them. I'm not even advocating FTE. I haven't made up my mind if I like it or not. I'm just playing devils advocate and pointing out the cognitive dissonance that plagues these threads.

Also, 20 minute respawns is not a standard lmao. You clearly aren't well versed in this game if you think 20 minute spawns is actually a thing.
  19. Silver-Crow Augur

So much wailing and gnashing of teeth over nothing.
    If you don't like the server rules don't play the server... simples

There are plenty of 'other' servers out there... including pvp and free trade.:rolleyes:
    Lejaun likes this.
  20. Jontrann Augur

It would be nice to know the new ruleset before the bags go off sale as some of us are still waiting on it before we decide to play or not.