New TLP Announced for May 2023!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Protocol, Jan 11, 2023.

1. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Oh that's fair, I forgot they randomized quest drops as well. I kind of like being past all the stupid raid drops for flags.
    Brontus likes this.
  2. Hdizzle Augur

Free trade with Relaxed truebox server would melt everything.

It checks so many boxes...

All they would need is the subsequent overflow server and a predetermined merge date for the two servers next spring.
    Ragnoruk, Brontus and Crabman like this.
  3. Crabman Augur

Only thing I feel is that the second server should have some discernable difference as to not just be overflow / transfer back and forth server. Relaxed Truebox vs no truebox restrictions. Randomized vs non-randomized loot tables. classic vs "insert expac here" start. something like that...
  4. jordune Augur

Mischief style server, relaxed true box starting on
    Opening of server, little xp boost, mabby start it in luclen
  5. jeskola pheerie

Here's mine:

1: Vanilla TLP with Relaxed Truebox starting in Classic
    2. Mischief clone starting in Classic
  6. Valcron Elder

Everyone keeps LOVING extra boxing...
  7. Brildon Augur

Sounds like you just want to play on a live freetrade server such as FV (minus the no mob summoning, but good luck on that)
  8. coltongrundy Augur

Any reason for these predictions? Omens is normally the worst time a TLP, having that be the start seems real bad

-edit-
    Oh did you mean it would become relaxed truebox starting in omens, or did you mean it would be a relaxed truebox server, and it would also start in omens?
  9. Dethrin15 New Member

Please not another Random Loot server. While some people may have enjoyed it, several others hated it and felt it took away a lot of the challenge of the game. My hope is a Phinny clone with free trade and normal loot windows, possible with a Kunark start.
  10. Protocol Dragon Defender

What challenge?
    Brildon likes this.
  11. coltongrundy Augur

challenge? what game are you playing?
  12. Dethrin15 New Member

Exactly. The game is easy enough already that I don’t enjoy making it easier by having rare items handed to me, or killing trivial raid mobs in an era and receiving expansion boss loot. I feel it loses a sense of accomplishment of seeking out items yourself and putting effort into your character. My personal opinion, but I know many people really got bored quickly with the random loot. I feel like a normal FV type server would be a better choice for a new start.
  13. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The easier access to loot is not the only reason why content seems easier. I would go so far as to say that opinion is actually really dismissive of the very large number of game changes that have made the game easier. Especially in the last few years.

More loot doesn't really change the difficulty much. It just decreases the amount of time to clear content. The large amount of QoL updates and the more widespread knowledge of event details are the bigger causes for any perceived reduction in difficulty.

I don't personally know anything about expansions newer than Torment of Velious, but for the most part the only server that has any real difficulty is Vaniki. A new TLP with FV loot rules is not going to change that. In a lot of ways, it's still going to be even easier than Yelinak.
  14. Dethrin15 New Member

I agree, but I feel like FV loot rules will probably be included in the new servers since we’ll be two years out from Mischief. It only makes sense for them to put in a draw to try to pull more people to the new TLPs.
  15. Crabman Augur

I dont think challenging was the right word, and I dont think harping on the difficulty/ease of a TLP is really what Dethrin meant. Free trade rules on mischief were amazing for reasons other than being easier or harder. The market in every expansion was amazing, being able to gear alts easier or sell items when you got upgrades were all new things brought to a tlp. Plus this made for a great catch up mechanic that is so very needed on tlps and in my opinion is why mischief is still going so strong.

I "assume" what you meant by challenge was more "quests, keys, specific bosses" you need to complete in order to get specific items. You have to get VP Key for PD loot, you have to kill AoW for a boc, you have to get VT Keyed for the best gear in luclin and so on. Those were all removed by having randomized loot tables. (technically I know they were also removed by free trade, but killing grummus for a shinai doesnt have the same feel as seeing it drop off VZ) I personally enjoyed a lot of the randomized loot tables, there are a few I would change here and there but I know a lot of people along the way were wishing it was just free trade.
  16. Hdizzle Augur

If you are taking the perspective of a member of a guild who only raids Instances 2-3 days a week and does no open world raiding (that's a sizeable amount on most TLPs); its more challenging to gear when the loot you want only comes from one loot table and you get 1 shot a week at said loot table and you may not even to be able to buy it if the loot even drops, and then you have to bid and win the bid etc.

I could see someone interpreting standard loot rules as more challenging vs Mischief serve loot rules.
  17. code-zero Augur

The only reason that Mischief/Thornblade could even be Free Trade was because of the Random Loot code. I prevents bottle necks and monopolization of desirable drops.
    Stewgottz likes this.
  18. Crabman Augur

This doesnt make any sense. I agree that randomization does reduce bottle necks, but free trade does not create more...?

Every phinny clone server has had bottle necks for various tradable items gebs/fungi/hiero cloak ect, as well as no trade items such as jboots ring, cleric epic crown/ring, peggy cloak, monk pipes, vp key pieces and others. What about a free trade server without random loot would make this any different? other than they would start being brought to the tunnel along with gebs / fungi and the price most likely reduced as the market would become more saturated. So if anything, both free trade AND randomization reduce bottle necks and monopolization of desirable drops.
  19. Stewgottz Augur

Server 1: Free trade Selo's!

after much lamentation and sorrow on the everquest TLP forums..

Server 2: Yelinak2.0 with relaxed truebox in classic/no truebox after OoW
  20. Stewgottz Augur

You're right, people sell LR's all the time on every TLP server free trade or not.

Randomized loot encourages people to play through zones that have less desirable loot because of a chance to get desirable loot.

And it in theory discourages players from sitting in on camp farming one item all day.
    code-zero likes this.