I think fast unlocks and fast exp are bad for the game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Trevalon Augur

I dunno, having played on every TLP and seen long unlocks, fast unlocks, fast exp, and slow exp and been in hardcore and medium core guilds I can almost unequivocally say that the VAST majority of players want Faster Unlocks, Fast EXP, More Loot, and More Rares.

The "slower" people are so few and far between its really not even a subset of the population.
    Skuz, Bobbybick and code-zero like this.
  2. Pappasalt Augur

Quit playing the same 3-4 expansions over and over, gg.
    Skuz, Genoane, Dexxeaa and 2 others like this.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

Dis you? https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...r-going-to-play-past-gates-of-discord.282204/

Sounds like the speed doesnt really matter to you, because you are only gonna play the same content over and over.

You might think you want a slow server and you might... but you are asking for a low pop, dead server. The overwhelming majority of the playerbase does not want to have slow exp. .Then do not want to spend 3 months killing naggy and vox. Then spend 3 months killing other naggy, green naggy, undead (but not undead) naggy and super vox.

If you want to play slow, then play slow. Just because kunark opens, doesnt mean you are forced to go there. Slow levelers can play on a fast server, fast levelers cannot survive on a slow server.
  4. Iyacc Augur

roflmao

best description of classic/kunark raiding ever except you forgot fish naggy, goofy naggy(innoruuk) and poop naggy(cazic). I'll let someone else decide which version of Naggy would be good for PoSky. Then of course you have the VP dragons which is like an elite/vip exclusive club.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Vlorg Augur

and ToV, which is a rainbow-fiesta of naggies
  6. Triconix Augur

How are slow unlocks going to help you with
    ?

Fast or slow, it doesn't matter to you. You reach 50 and quit. Maybe the problem is you're bored with doing Pixelated Undead Castle zone, Pixelated Frog Zone 1, Pixelated Frog Zone 2, Pixelated Elemental City ad nauseum every single year. Solution: Play beyond awful classic.
    Vlorg and Koshk like this.
  7. Strife Lorekeeper

Bruh, people who play the vanilla -> Velious gauntlet and then quit for the next TLP aren't even EQ players. Just nostalgia chasers. Like your opinions on expansion release timeframes are essentially void of value.

Faster unlocks and faster EXP keep people from burning out. This was shown on selo's where the highest number of people made it to live.

This is shown every single time a server gets to OoW / DoN / DoDH / PoR and the server population dies out.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Bewts Augur

The challenge is that arbitrarily choosing a time period for an era ignores any collective server or individual linkage to achievements in an era. It assumes the time period is sufficient to accommodate a majority of players.

This generally results in a subset of hardcore becoming bored because most content is cleared rather quickly leaving only achievements aligned to farming for gear and another subset of players with more casual play styles finding issues with an arbitrary period too short or too long to maintain the satisfaction of their guild-mates.

The ideal solution is an self-directed rate of advancement linked to collective server and individual achievements which can generally be linked to both clearing raid content and completing a combination of certain important quests (epics, armor sets, or era prestige quests).

This would provide a more “self-directed” rate of unlocking an era, albeit far more complex than the cost effective arbitrary periodicity determined by the development teams.
  9. Iyacc Augur

yeah but that's not til Velious and there's so much raid content then that you kinda lose the nag clone feeling
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That seems like a pretty big stretch that they would lower how many can be on a server and that would impact how it shows on the server status screen. There is no logical reason why they would cap the servers at a different amount as that would just cause issues later on if a server becomes more popular again.
    Appren likes this.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

I guess it depends how you mean this statement? Is there more attrition on a tlp between expansions 1-4 or 5-28, then sure it reasonable to say more people quit after pop. But it's not even a comparable time frame. Much larger chunks of people fall off before GoD vs after.
  12. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

One of the main reasons there is such a high population on TLP servers in Classic is what I call server tourism. People see a new server coming out, they roll characters there, gather up a bunch of cheap Krono and then bounce back to their home server. I have done it a few times, and I know of multiple people playing on other TLP and live servers who do this same thing. I don't think using the population of a new TLP server at classic is a good measurement of how many people actually ENJOY Classic content.
  13. Rothj Augur

Then why are servers launching in later expansions less popular? You can easily still buy krono on say vaniki.
  14. Triconix Augur

This is common sense that doesn't need to be answered, but I'll entertain you.

Later expansions have a majority of no drop gear which reduces the value of krono and krono farming vs tradeable items that can be kept and sold easier. There are also high value camps in early eras because of bad itemization allowing group content gear to be better than raid level gear.

A vast majority of people on TLP raid. The best gear the later you get into game comes from raid zones. The need for krono and plat dismisses heavily.

Classic/Kunark is just a krono farming bonanza with predatory targeting methods on the classic rerollers who have more money than brains.

Yelinak already had a massive drop off in population numbers and it's only in Kunark. It's maintaining roughly 50/50 medium-high population when it was 24/7 high population for the first month or so. The content is still in the proclaimed "best era" trilogy...why is the population low? Because people are bored with having nothing to do. They are fly over expansions at this point.

There's a reason why they keep shortening classic/kunark. It's not because people enjoy it.
    Skuz, Appren and McJumps like this.
  15. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Because, as I just said, it is much easier and cheaper to buy krono in classic. I can level an enchanter up and have them making jewelry in a few hours time in classic and sell it and make money hand over fist. You cannot do that in other eras. It would take a long time to make a significant amount of money on a server that started in say, TSS.

A not insignificant portion of the population on brand new TLPs is not there for the long term. They are there to make Krono during classic to spend on other TLPs and Live, then they return to their home server. You are assuming the large population on brand new TLP is all there to enjoy classic, and that just isn't true. Some of us are there to make as much money as possible before the well runs dry. This also explains the significant drop off in population a few weeks into the server.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are also forgetting a simpler explanation in that the live player base is spread out among more servers then the TLP player base.
  17. kengqvist1 New Member

Yeah, Kunark is pretty light on raid content, and VP is frankly not worth the trouble unless you're in a really hardcore guild where everyone will take the time to get keyed early. Most guilds skip it, or they end up doing it two or three times at the end of Kunark. But without VP, most of the raid nights will be spent doing classic content for epics and the few Sky quests that are still worth doing, and it definitely feels like the expansion doesn't have enough. And then you get to Velious and suddenly there's more content than most guilds can do on a three-nights-a-week schedule.

They could make the Kunark slump much better by simply changing the VP key so that it becomes feasible for most guilds to get in there. Most of the loot is pretty forgettable anyway, but there's a few good pieces, and it's just nice to see all the content. Nothing's really gained by gating the expansion's only serious raid zone behind a key quest that takes dozens upon dozens of hours and most of it is just tedious nonsense like waiting for a ground spawn and hoping you can click on it faster than the fifteen other dudes doing the same thing.
  18. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

19. Beardsy Elder

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. 3 Month/2month unlocks are far too long.

The next time they do a mischief like server, I'd love to see a 2 month(lvl increase)/1 month(no lvl increase) unlock. Instead of the current 3/2 method. The next 6 months on Mischief is going to suck because I absolutely loathe DoN/DoDH/PoR.- LoY/LDoN/DoN/DoDH/PoR are horrendously bad expacs(Imo of course)

Also for all TLP's: Release PoP/LoY/LDoN(3 months) at the same time, and GoD/OoW/DoN(3 months) then DoDH/PoR(2 months) at the same time too. There's no reason why we wait 4-6 months to clear all this crap. It's such a waste of time at this point, we've all done it so many times already.

Those that want to take their time, you'll be playing at your own damn pace anyway. Selos was a bit too fast for most, but a 2/1 unlock rate would work way better than what we're currently doing.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

Yep, DoN and PoR were all supplemental expacs originally (when they used to pump out 2 expacs per year), its ridiculous to have that content given as much time as a full expac like OoW and DoDH.
    Skuz likes this.