I think fast unlocks and fast exp are bad for the game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Aug 11, 2022.

1. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

Couldn't disagree more... I think the average MMO player with lets say 10-15 hours a week can very easily max a toon out in an expansion at the current release rate (2-3 months), especially on servers very early into the game like Yelinak. But even on a server like Rizlona or Aradune with friends there are only so many things out side of raids for you to really farm out and do... and many of them are very skippable if you are so enclined, (for instance while a cleric needs both their 1.0 and 2.0, most characters don't really need their epics (1 or 2) outside of the expansion or level range they are done in. when that expansion is live.

On the flip side when a server stays in an era for too long, players get bored and many leave... sure some come back when a new expansion comes out. But most have moved on for other games or other servers by then... the level 70 range is notoriously bad for TLPs for killing guilds and attrition as people get bored when they have that long with no real progress on their characters and not much to really log in and accomplish...
    Xhartor likes this.
  2. mark Augur

3 months if theres a lvl increase 2 months if no lvl increase,better and faster keying for vp,vt etc
  3. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

In 4 weeks, even us filthy casuals have killed Phara Dar and there are still 4 weeks left of Kunark for us to rinse and repeat. The only people advocating for longer expansions are people using TLPs as money grabs, Krono farmers or forum warriors who haven't actually spent months in Classic or Kunark and seen how bad the player attrition gets.

4 weeks, 5 weeks with lvl increases.
    3xFaction and loot
    No Keys
    Long spawn turn in mobs left up
    Epic mobs spawn halved

The only thing that could make it better is if the group killed the mob and it dropped the loot you would get a delayed 2 hour loot lockout for 3 and a half days. If you looted the item you would get a 30 day loot lockout on the mob. Anybody killing the mob twice under loot lockout would be booted to origin, loot locked for 30 days and zone locked for 7 days. Any damage done by groups with loot locked players would not count against dps race in determining the winner.
  4. Kahna Augur

Wow, I have heard some bad suggestions on this forum but this one takes the cake. Hope you never want to help your friends kill their epic mobs. Cause no guild has multiple of xxx class and they all need help killing the same mobs. No one has ever made a mistake turning in their items and had to redo certain steps.
  5. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

That is not for epic mobs. It's for gear camps. I.E. Circlet of Shadows, Goblin Skull Earring and other farm related gear camps.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Hope you never want help camping an item
  7. Triconix Augur

Or the mob doesn't drop the item being sought after. Imagine camping a named only to get the crappy item and needing to wait a few days to kill him again
    Appren and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

You are not going to invent a ruleset that is somehow krono farmer camp proof. They have more time, more accts, and probably more game knowledge than you. Some are even more "resourceful". All you are doing is hurting everyone else.
    Appren, Genoane and Skuz like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just make a server that players can't log into and it will solve all the krono farmer problems :)
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

How to kill the Krono farmer market...
    ..flood the game with loot.

Scarcity drives up value, drives up motivation to corner that item.

Random loot system tackled it well but it does have a negative in that players who enjoy having to put in effort to obtain items are deprived of that sense of achievement in an effort to tackle krono farmers hogging the spawn locations of desirable loot-droppers.

There is no method that has only an upside.
    Stymie likes this.
  11. Triconix Augur

I think random loot would be fine to achieve that dopamine rush that people get when acquiring a high value item if it wasn't coupled with 2-4x loot as well. Random loot didn't cause the flood gates of gear to open up. It was the addition of every group/raid mob dropping 4-12 items a pop.

How hard is it getting an item when raiding a zone like potime will net you close to 100 items vs the normal 30-40ish?
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah good point, randomised loot solves the "spawn-location hogging" dilemma while the additional amounts of loot in the iteration used on Mischief devalued the overal prices of loot.

Variants of Random loot that were conventional flagged as opposed to free-trade, which had some increase in volume though not the maybe as high as 4x volume seen on mischief, hold some interesting potential.

Personally I think the old loot paradigm no longer works on TLP because it can be exploited so easily by players intent on Krono farming & who are already knowledgeable in what the market most desires, where to find it & how to monopolize it effectively.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Bewts Augur

I can only imagine how over geared my guild would have been on lockjaw if we had 100 items per PoTime run… we spend 6 months in PoP.
  14. Xhartor Augur

How many people on Agnarr have mulitple characters with full BiS?
  15. Iyacc Augur

We stopped doing Time after a while to split Fire. Slightly more loot and more chances at P5/Q. Yes, we could have done both but Time just became a longer raid than was necessary for the rewards for our small guild.
    Mischief is a crazy ride. Nothing has been as silly as PoP. Really small guilds or unguilded could farm the bottom half of PoP raid targets and come out with way more Time gear than they would have even thought about on other servers without ever setting foot inside.