Classes locked to expansions is bad for TLP players

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Skuz, May 8, 2022.

1. Manafasto Augur

Other than for XP or to farm for Shield of Immaculate I never take my BST back. I did not even bother doing his epic this last time around. It does suck having to reroll to play a class you love. Duo/Mbing is just not my thing.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As I have said before there are other things that are missing such as epic quests that can't be completed (or started) until SoL/GoD unlocks. There is more to playing and enjoying a class then being able to loot items in groups/raids.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Its almost like they only have the ability to support 16 classes and 16 races due to code limitations. That combined with the lack of time to balance the existing 16 classes means that adding more would just make balance that much worse.

I don't know about you but if I was in Daybreaks position I would not want to unlock those classes early if they had parts that could not be done until the expansion that they came with unlocks.
  4. Manafasto Augur

What if it was as easy as uncommenting out specific code, publish, patch.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think that the benefits of starting in classic greatly outweigh the defecits of having some content not being available until a later expansion, every single class has things they cannot get until later expansions anyway.

So I gotta wait until GoD to do my 1.0, big freaking deal, the BER 1.0 is nice & all but as a raider, which the vast majority of TLP players are, it is 100% irrelevant except as a completionist's "I did it" check-mark. There are a reasonably decent range of 2 hander weapon options up until GoD & GoD itself has a BER class-weapon that makes the 1.0 look like a kid's fisher price weapon.

The main enjoyment to gain from the 1.0 is the lore, which for BER is actually pretty good.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is fine and I am sure others agree with you even if I don't. However it appears that the devs don't agree with you and it appears the new level locked server shows that agreement as they unlocked expansions all the way to GoD as part of having Beastlords and Berserkers available at launch.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Pretty sure that isn't how they are locking things behind expansions and that doesn't fix the problem of doing things that are locked in expansion zones.
  8. Vlahkmaak Augur

I plan on winning the lottery when it hits a billion+$, and after the government cleaves that number by 50% of more, I will then buy DPG and make this a reality. I'll also relaunch a separate version in VR/ with Unity5 or CryEngine. Until then the devs win this TLP round. :)
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

And that was the whole point of my original post, I know they don't agree and I am seeking to change their minds with a well-reasoned argument and to see how much support there is for this.

People have been asking for this for years, the GoD Start server was a concept I came up with as part of accepting the status-Quo, but that does not mean I can't argue for change.

And after all, I argued for the switching off of truebox on TLP after DoDH unlocks along with several other regular forum posters & Yelinak & Vaniki will feature something which gets close to that even if it isn't exactly how I & others originally envisaged it.

Bobbybick made a great case for reducing 1.0 bottlenecks & those largely got done too.

There is always hope that if you present a good case it will get heard, and change may follow.
    Barton likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I would consider reducing bottlenecks in content that you can access is different then introducing classes that have content that is impossible to do because it is locked behind the expansion the class was introduced in.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Different in what way?

A bottle neck is a bottleneck & classes locked to expansions is a pretty clear example of a bottleneck when it prevents players even joining the server.

I mean is there a class-change token?

So I can't start as another class on day one of a classic launch & swap class later on with a token like I can race.

Are there issues with removing a part of that bottleneck, yes absolutely, but nobody expects all of the issues with that to be solved in one hit, hell you can look at the history of EQ and find examples of things that took multiple partial fixes to resolve satisfactorily.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Other then it is enabling players to complete quests that are in era and not trying to unlock new things? Sure it does suck that people can't play the class that they want when the server launches but none of that changes the fact that parts of the Beastlord and Berserker class would be missing until SoL or GoD launches. As much as you whine and complain that they should be available at launch it will never change the fact that they have things that are locked behind SoL/GoD. As much as some are complaining about not being able to play them at launch you will have as many (or more) complaining that they can't complete certain things that are locked behind future expansions. Are you saying your complaints matter but theirs don't?
  13. Ariana Augur

You said complain 4 times in that paragraph. Nobody is complaining. They're suggesting an improvement to the game, understanding it's a longshot, but knowing that other similar improvements have been made in the past. Please stop trying to delegitimize this request/suggestion by framing it as whining and complaining. Nobody is doing that here.
    Stymie, Skuz, Edvvard and 1 other person like this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is complaining? I sure have seen a lot of posts asking for Beastlords/Berserkers to be available at launch and they don't like having to switch classes later once the expansions launch. With how often it gets brought up I am not sure what else I would call it.

I am not trying to do anything about the request itself but just remind people that they are likely not being released because of class related content that is tied to the expansion. With that content locked up there is no question that people will be complaining that it can't be done when other classes can also do that same content.
  15. code-zero Augur

There are in game stories about the origins of both BL and 'zerkers that are in fact tied to the expansions that they released in
  16. Ariana Augur

EQ lore is hard to track down through Google and you've got me curious. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction, or maybe briefly sharing a little? I've never really gotten into the lore but have started looking at origin story, racial origins, etc recently.
  17. Edvvard New Member

Asking for beastlords & berzerkers at launch actually got us Vaniki. Be careful what you wish for.
    Lineater likes this.
  18. Ponter Elder

Now that DPG is doing more creative things with their TLP servers I don't see the problem of adding in those classed from launch. It's way less impactful than the random loot system IMO. While I don't think I'd want it on a standard style TLP, I see no reason it shouldn't be tried on one of their creative ruleset TLPs. It would certainly be interesting to see how those classes have to adapt to content before the gearsets we're used to them having existed, and seeing how their class mechanics impact the leveling experience of classic. Just slap some trainers in a main city, have Vah Shir spawn in the Paineel starter zone zulul. Space kitties that fell off the rock when it got yeeted into space.
  19. code-zero Augur

Quite a bit of it is found in dialogue, something that comes to mind is there's a lot of berserker lore in the dialogue for Sverang which is odd. The lore is spread out across a number of quests though