Past Expansion Collector's Edition Bundle Now Available!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We don't have Darkpaw's breakdown of sales. We do know that they made around $11.5m in 2019 (from EG7 report).

Ngreth did write:

In reference to expansion bundles and Heritage crates.

DP Marketplace / Revenue suggestion | Page 2 | EverQuest Forums (daybreakgames.com)

If they are making money, I see no reason to alter their pricing and marketing scheme. Again, it is multi-prong (individual items in marketplace, crates, bundles).

I'd rather see money made from optional cosmetics than seeing cuts to Free-to-Pay to encourage more subscription revenue as a trade-off.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I would rather see them make money off that stuff too but I (and many others) think they are going about it the wrong way. That's the main thing we're disagreeing on. Thankfully we can at least have a conversation about it without getting bent out of shape and being hateful to each other.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They maybe making money, but there is a possiblity they could make more if they sold them seperatly. I'd purchase multiples of some of those items if they were indivudually priced but won't buy a single one with so much junk in it I don't want.

I have so much junk in my claim window, I wish there was a way to organise it and it had a search function.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd rather support the game I play with a regular subscription, EQ has been the same price for years, it is well overdue an increase, maybe then we might get some bigger expansions.

F2P do very little to support the game financially.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'm 100% confident that this is incorrect.

Around the same number of players on TLP as on live but all of them 100% must have a sub as no F2P option on TLP, then add on the krono & marketplace purchases.

Arguably the only thing Live players buy that TLP don't is expansions.

But let us not forget some players are active on Live and TLP.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Increasing subscription price would drive the game into maintenance mode. Also, the FTP model doesn’t do a sufficient job of keeping those players within the player base bubble. They hit a wall too soon and subsequently are no value to any Gold member.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I do think EQ1 F2P is a bit on the generous side. WoW F2P ends at level 20. FF14 F2P ends at level 60. But I am willing to pay $140 if I want the 'Visage of the Othmir Gentlemen' and be able to play 2-3 F2P boxes at the most current expansion. I'm heavily concerned that unbundling (and tinkering with current marketing) will lead to major unintended consequences (cuts to F2P and expac unlocks). If cosmetics go cheap or free because of some self-interested theories, we may soon regret the focus on cosmetics at the cost of actual gameplay.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

ESO has the better model for integrating FTP. WoW and FF14, I think don’t feel a need to change because they’re so popular. ESO does keep the FTP crowd close enough to the spenders to make the FTP players an asset to the community. EQ1 fails to make the FTP players an asset due to the restrictions.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I assume Live players also buy heroic upgrades, some of them are too lazy to do the 1-85 powerlevel every time they want a new alt/box.

Question regarding F2P: Are they even useful at 115 as "support" for a box group, or do they have too many restrictions?
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Saw plenty of boxes using 85 Heroic upgrades on Phinny I would assume some get bought on any TLP that gets to that late era, live probably does buy a lot more of them. But PL'ing a toon to 85 isn't hard.

For older content the use of F2P would be fine, aka overlevelled & a krono/one month of sub once in a while to bump their aa up - better than a merc at any rate.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Jumbur like this.
  11. Flat Toad Elder

Teeny, tiny question i've yet to see answered here is whether going for this deal unlocks the "special" Collections ACHs for those expansions that locked some rewards behind requirement for purchase of original Collector's Edition.
    Crude and crass, I know. hehehh... but stuff that would actually boost one's toon always interests me more than dressing up fancy-like.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No

RoF (L100) is I believe the only expansion that has a collection tied to special editions of the game, this packages highest expansion is Underfoot (L85).
  13. Indian New Member

Simply put...there is no "Moral Hazard". This is a blatant money grab. Most of the listed items were useless when the expansions they came out in arrived. Also, you are not getting all the items rewarded by the collectors edition, just one item from each. Darkpaw is worse than Sony was where pricing for expansions and "specials" are concerned.
    They are way over-priced.

For those of you complaining that this should be a cash option...it is! You just have to give cash to the marketplace to build up your SC. That's what? Two extra steps?

Darkpaw should remember that high prices do not encourage new customers to join the game.

I've played since 2000 and one of the main reasons the game was so enjoyable was its affordability.
    Its not affordable now.

Also, the game does lag and crash more often than in the past. I can't count the times I've almost completed a long quest and the game crashed and had to restart the quest from the beginning.

Each petition I have submitted for such occurrences received the same reply:
    We're sorry you experienced that, but our records show you never started the quest.
    I had to re-do my shaman's alchemy skill five times before they finally gave me the Mundungo rod. They only agreed then because I sent them screen shots of all my completed trophies.

Additionally, this information is incorrect...

[IMG]
    Indian

Profile Page
    I have been posting in the forums since 2000. In 2015 someone decided to change my name from Quaand to Indian without my permission. If they can't get this right, why should we trust them to care for their customers by offering reasonably priced items?
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is not the orginal SoE forums so no you cannot have been posting here since 2000, this forum did not exist then it had to be created when SoE was sold off by Sony to History Revised Jason Epstein.

On February 2, 2015, Sony announced that SOE had been sold
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Subscription prices and base expansion prices have remained the same for at least the last 10 years.

If you are talking about prices now compared to the year 2000 (i.e. $20 expansions, $5 subscriptions), well - hate to break it to you - but there is something called inflation.

The Collector and Premium Editions are cosmetic only (not Pay-to-Win) and are a way to support the game with higher contributions for some goodies (e.g. analogous to NPR/PBS fundraisers or crowdfunding).

Edit: EQ1 (and EQ2) Free-to-Play is super generous. You can buy the latest expansion and enjoy 22 years of content without paying a dime (beyond the base expac). You won't find many games like it. If anything, the Collector/Premium Editions likely subsidizes this revenue model (generous F2P).
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

On the other hand Darkpaw has opened up another way for mid-levels to get large bags. Now you can earn bags by completing hunter, unlike before where the only practical way(for the sub level 105 crowd) was through the marketplace.

The pay2win aspect has been reduced by this move. :)

So Im ok with them flaunting their collector bundles, as that is mostly just cosmetics.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

These forums have been around since at lease 2012 as you can find posts dating to back then. The only thing that changed when the purchase happened was changing the URL and the branding on the page.

Though this is the 2nd or 3rd iteration of EQ forums (possibly even more but not sure) though I am not sure if forums had been started in the year 2000 or not.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Thanks for the correction, there are holes in my knowledge as I was not active between 2008-2015 but I knew for certain this wasn't the forum we had back in 2000 (we had something I am sure), nor the one we had when I quit.
  19. KermittheFroglok Augur

Wow, call my a hypocrite for opposing this type of deal, but I bought this for all three of my accounts. Surprised they only charged $80 DBC for it, that’s much cheaper than I expected off they would based of the last time they did this with it House of Thule.
  20. Dre. Altoholic

This is the only one I wish I could go back and get on my newer accounts. Dreamweave Satchels and Verdant Topiary Lions are awesome for alts.
    Skuz likes this.