Past Expansion Collector's Edition Bundle Now Available!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you buy the bundle on any character that has items from it already those items are lore & would be lost - however if you bought it on another character on the same account, one that has none of those items, you will eventually be able to pass the ones your main misses to it via the shared bank as Ngreth says (quote below) they will make them Heirloom.

I just wish I had known that before I deleted my old main berserker who had all those items on him, I might after the July patch had been able to pass them to my new Berserker - ah well.
  2. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I agree Warpeace. The pricing is a head scratcher and the fact that they aren't individual items that can be claimed by whichever character on whichever server on any account that buys them is also a head scratcher.

It just doesn't make sense to charge $80 for this stuff and expect more than a few people to shell out the money or use their monthly DBC on it. They should have had a $25 or 2500 DBC bundle deal and the items should also be sold individually.

In my opinion it's better to sell 1000 items at $5 than it is to sell 10 items at $80 but what do I know?
    Bobokin likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

All about them "whales" now.

Even games that run as predominantly Subscription based games that don't actually sell "player Power" are not immune to the whale effect, it isn't covered in the video below but the same principles apply in terms of haves vs have nots, and the pricing structure is simply unable to divorce itself fully from the temptation to cater to fewer players with more money than more players with less.
    In EQ's case player power can be ascribed to a whole range of aspects, wardrobe, collectors edition items - the glamour stuff still creates a clear distinction between those with money being able to feel superior to those without, it's definitely not as bad in EQ as it is elsewhere but you'd have to be blind to not see its still in effect to some degree.

4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It is better to see Darkpaw monetize the game through optional cosmetics than DLC packs (e.g. imagine having to pay for access to Hardcore Sebilis) and Battle Passes.

Darkpaw could also incentivize subscription revenue by severely curtailing Free-to-Pay or enhancing All Access but offer free in-game cosmetics.

Expensive cosmetics could actually be a source of revenue that allows for things such as generous F2P and free expansion unlocks.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Camou the Persistent Augur

Well, i would love a lot of items from collector bundless since 2013, but this gate clickies and such is nothing a normal player would require at all. Matter of fact, i barely use any of them, gh portals does it all far better anbd has not senseless cool downs.

The bundle contains nothing at all of interest for me, pittyfully.

Regarding marketing of online products i can not see any of the hundreds successful ways demonstrated in modern games, but a complete alternative path to approach customers. Im working in this field of labor and i recall the same unstructured and clueless online shop concept when i was working with gobal players and consulting them. took me 1 year to convince change a global players merkting team to change their online shop concept (am workin as consulter since 1987). The online community, especially gaming community, is very different to common phone-shoppers.

DP concept might be successful for US American market, but for european market it is inappropriate and considerably about lowest standards found on tiny and small business online shops. In that sense, the bundle works for this concept - but not for its customers. 1 out of 10, could be done much better.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sindace like this.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I have most of this stuff somewhere, never bought a collector's edition of anything, so not sure how. Would be interested in another clockwork merc, I might bite on that solo at 2000-2500 DBC. Then I might have to consider buying some DBC to pad my account instead of just relying on the 500 a month.

Take that for what you will. I'm never going to spend the equivalent of $80 on cosmetics in one shot. You might get me four times for $20 on things I'm interested in, but never a big sum when there is stuff in there I don't even care about.

DPG keeps doing stuff like this, so it must be selling enough for them to feel it's working, but I don't think they've successfully tested the other side of the equation. Meanwhile, my money sits in the bank or gets spent on other things. It's the same thing when Rocket League tries to sell me a set of wheels for $20, it's laughable. If it was a car, and really cool, at that price, maybe. Everyone has their own judgment of value, and if you want their money, you have to find the sweet spot that falls within their value calculation.

I'm already paying two subs, and bought CoV on both in the last few months. Probably will buy the next expansion on both also. That goes into my calculation, I pay a lot into this game already, not gonna drop big bucks on cosmetics on top of that, but opportunities to get more money from me do exist.
    Stymie, Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  7. Alchem The Judge Journeyman

I spend a good deal on this game. Crates, services, potions, Family and Friends Collection Editions -as in multiple, and I don't have problems with what I'm getting. This will be the first time something came up that I was super excited to see and purchase and just be let down. How you value those items together at $80 is just so beyond me. None of those items were exciting then or now if we are to be fair. I would consider this a bad round for DP and I believe you should too.
  8. Sindace Elder

Did these expansions even have collector's editions for sale?

Seems like these came from preorders rather than collector's editions. Would've much rather seen actual collector's edition items from newer expansions than Underfoot. Fact is 80%+ of this bundle is useless. The portal clickies out of era are pretty useless, so it leaves a bunch of faction items for expansions no one plays in and 2 mounts for $80. Bags/potions would've been more useful. Illusions would've been $$.

Swing and a miss. Good idea, poor execution.
  9. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

A number of those (if not all of them) came from neither Collector or Premium editions, and/or were given away for free for a very long time.

I own a significant number of those and have purchased a whopping 1 collector edition (back when you could get the RoS upgrade for like 75% off)

A few of them you just got. And stuff like the memophic staff were also physical items in the box as well as the in-game item.

Its not at all a collectors edition bundle, its the "digital items from the physical box" collection.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

SOE started digital downloads as far back as LoY (Legacy of Ykesha). One can consider the boxed editions (where they were set a higher price point over digital downloads) as equivalent to today's Collector Edition.

The Ornate Barding and Mottled Worg were boxed edition claims. I believe the Roboboar was a boxed edition claim but was also offered briefly to returning players.

I believe the only item that really came free was the 'Mark of Brell.' I don't have any of the other items on my free accounts and I've been playing since 2001.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Bobokin Augur

As I recall, NONE of these items came from a "Collector's Edition" because there were no Collector's Editions back then. If you paid for the expansion, they came with it.

The price for these would be laughable if it wasn't so insulting to the player base of Everquest.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Bobokin Augur

First, these items were not from Collector Editions. They were part of regular retail expansion boxes. That was back when SOE rewarded players for buying basic expansions and sticking with the game.

Second, many people would rather just quit the game or do without rather than get fleeced for every expansion. Just because you will pay, doesn't mean others will.

Third, all markets have people willing to pay the higher price now and others willing to wait for the sale. Most people who wait for the sale will not pay the higher price now because Everquest is a price elastic good. When the discount went from 50% to 20%, most of the people I know just left the game or went FTP in old expansions. Instead of earning 50% from those people, Daybreak got nothing. The 50% price reduction reflected the loss of not being the most up to date expansion.

Fourth, the price of this is far too high and shows why Everquest is a shell of what it once was. Remember, these were items included in past regular retail box expansions for free. Sure, a few people will purchase this and that $200 armor they had a month ago, but a few people will purchase supercars, diamonds, and original masterwork paintings too; that doesn't mean it is a good business model for the masses.
  13. Bobokin Augur

Bringing these back is a good idea, but these should have been added to the Marketplace as individual items at regular individual item prices. Placing them in a single set and charging $79.99 makes them off limits to many players, and that means upset players.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Boxed editions can be considered somewhat of a collector's item (and, by extension, equivalent to today's Collector's Edition). This discussion can extend endlessly as a semantic exercise.

If this game is bad or people are quitting because of optional cosmetics, then this game is really not for them. Those are folks better suited for something more cosmetic-heavy like Fortnite or Rocket League. EverQuest is not defined by cosmetics.

As I said before, Darkpaw is a business. They have the marketing data to set the appropriate pricing scheme. It's probable that they saw almost all players wait for the 50% discount to buy Premium and Collector Editions but nearly inelastic demand when Heritage Crates and other non-discounted cosmetics came out.

I'd much rather see Darkpaw monetize through optional cosmetics than DLC packs (e.g. imagine having to pay for access to Hardcore Sebilis) or Battle Passes. Or, say Darkpaw concedes free cosmetics but - in a trade-off - restricts F2P and ends free expansion unlocks. Way more people would quit if they lost F2P or other free content.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Well, considering that there is a large portion of the player base that spends hundreds of dollars each on Collector and Premium Editions, Heritage Crates, and Kronos. (People literally trade multiple Kronos for single items on TLP and Live). It is not off-limits to many players.

We get it. It is human nature to want the lowest possible price (even free).

Breaking apart items from a bundle is counterintuitive to a good price point. For example, let's say they sold CoV's Premium 'Visage of the Othmir Gentlemen' for $10, instead of maintaining the bundle price of $140, most players will go straight to that item of interest, skip over the rest of the bundle, and Darkpaw would make substantially less. People will argue that they'll get a larger pool of sales but it is detrimental to long term viability of the Collector & Premium Edition pricing scheme. What we have now is a multi-prong approach (Darkpaw offers crates, Collector bundles, and individual items in the shop).
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

The market will play itself out and right now the vocal response is the price is too high. This is a very loyal and dedicated audience that is willing to spend on the game. Maybe, DPG should consider not fishing so heavily for whales, but instead fish for tuna.

Games becoming dependent on a very small percentage of your base doesn’t bode well for stability and growth. However, there exists the above average spenders, “tuna” that are very lucrative.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Bobokin like this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I can counter that there is a "vocal minority" but "silent majority."

Darkpaw has the internal sales data.

It is human nature to want the lowest possible price (even free). We can run the gamut of alternatives and do the mental gymnastics to secure the lowest possible price. That's not how business works (consumers arguing over subjective price points).

Darkpaw will use pricing strategies and market psychology to make the most money.

Again, I'd rather see Darkpaw capitalize on optional cosmetics rather than target Free-to-Pay and other game content. Remember Smedley wanted to increase subscription prices at several points.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

HH and Legecy zones were supposedly added as the expansions are so small now, they seem to have forgotten that as we haven't had new ones for years, even new anniversary content has been reduced to 2 quests and a mission, can't remember the last time we had a new raid.

F2P should never have come as far as it has, at just 2 expansions behind that is an aweful lot of content to do at zero cost.

I'd rather they increased the subscriptions and the price of Krono and had cheaper items in the market place or heaven forbid have quests that awarded similar items and reduce the F2P freebies.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

High priced cosmetics gets about a handful of complaints. If you cut Free-to-Play, you will be seeing hundreds of players up in arms. Any concern about cosmetic prices and population will pale in comparison to the blowback by restricting or curtailing F2P.
  20. Kanbian New Member

Apparently you have an understanding of simple math that has evaded the staff at DBG. Not to mention pointing out a VERY obvious flaw that these aren't sold as individual items and unable to be claimed individually. I think the fact that not being able to claim these until underfoot is also a huge mistake. I guess it was too difficult to offer them on tlps (where there will be the MOST interest). Most of these items were available long before Underfoot but if you were to drop $80 on this junk you would still have to wait until Underfoot is released on your tlp to claim ANYTHING. This is just sad work. It's almost like asking people if they would like to pay for a service that does nothing but send them spam emails