[Request] Make Shadow of buffs not infinitely long duration

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raccoo, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Kezik Lorekeeper

They need to just increase the cap . Even with no shadow buffs up I have wasted Glyphs because no room once the short buffs start flying .
    Duder likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could just take every single buff that has a duration over 1 hour and make it permanent instead(it should still expire on death, or if counters run out, or in case of runes have absorbed its max value, etc).
    And just remove shadow buffs from the game(once you do the AA-click, clicking it again does nothing), forcing people to use real junk buffs.

Or remove dispell as a mechanic...
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is a good point, even if you remove the shadow type buffs people will still run out of buff slots due to the number of buffs we have now.
  4. p2aa Augur

No thanks, this is a terrible idea. I'm able to click my item to update the AA, and then remove it. How hard is it really ? Seriously some people cannot do it ? Or don't notice that they have these shadows buff on and need to get told ?
    What is hard to look at your buff window, and remove the shadow buff ? Again worse, if people, after you told them, don't do anything, then it's their problem. There is no reason you are going to punish everyone who use the system accordingly, because some bad players don't want to do the simple fix.
    It's stupid to add more buffs slots, even if it's 24 hours 36 hours or whatever, at the end, this is not a game problem, but a player problem.
  5. Viper1 Augur

These are stupid and worthless and have zero tactical advantage vs the downside of being buff locked on a raid. Get rid of them.
    Flatchy, Duder and Raccoo like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are plenty of ways to become buff locked at a raid besides these buffs. If someone is becoming buff locked maybe it is time for them to figure out which buffs they really need and which ones are worthless for them.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

Ummm, catch 22? The ones who need to "figure out which buffs they really need" are the ones who don't pay attention to buffs or they'd have already clicked off the shadow buffs!
    Raccoo likes this.
  8. Pano Augur

9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The problem is a lot of the buffs they turned into shadow buffs were buffs people used as junk buffs anyway.

I'd prefer to see the short term buffs moved into the song window, i e anything that lasts under 5 minutes.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would just cause that window to fill up faster and send the buffs back to the main window. Already it isn't that uncommon with a bard in group and burns on a raid to have the song window full and those buffs going to the main window.
    Skuz and Thunderkiks like this.
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

Sometimes you get them damn things up by accident lol. Tring to check augs my right click on items a lot of times triggers the clickie. Bam 3-4 shadow buffs up.

I gave you the answer a page and a half ago, Make it players choice on your options page. The guys that are screaming F them idiots who cant see it are happy, and us morons who dont check our buff window every 30 mins are appeased.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

People who think these buffs should remain permanent to use as junk buffs, if they weren't permanent, what duration would you like them to have?

People who think these buffs shouldn't exist, if they were to remain in existence and not be permanent, what duration would you like them to have?

I tried this another way, and it didn't seem to catch on, so trying this way now. They don't need to go away and they don't need to be permanent, both sides can be happy. Stop talking past each other and make some suggestions. If DPG ever decides to do something about this it would be nice if they had some kind of consensus from the community as a recommendation.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do they need to change at all? For those who want them what is the point of having to click them every x minutes? For those who don't want them they still have to click them off manually. In the end all you are doing is asking for an unneeded change that will take developer time from other things.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I wouldn't say they "need" to change, but I think there are plenty of people who want them to change. This game has enough crap that gets left over from a change and then is annoying later on. These were originally buffs, so they mattered. Then they changed them to AA's, which was a good change, but the buffs weren't removed, maybe for a reason, maybe not.

As a person who didn't realize the change until recently, I was annoyed they were still there cluttering up my window. As somebody who has had to explain the situation to others to get them to click them off, it is also annoying. I like to look at the buffs on the player I have targeted for reasons that have to do with why I have them targeted, like healing or buffing. We don't need anymore clutter, but these aren't game-breaking either, hence my suggestion for compromise.

If they are to remain, there is absolutely no reason they need to remain permanent. As junk buffs, anything that lasts 24 hours or more is plenty sufficient for people who raid a few times a week, or once a week, or even once a month. If they were to go then we would lose the junk buff option, hence my suggestion to compromise.

What I'm saying is that with a longer duration you will still only need to click them when they get dispelled, or at most a couple times a week if they don't. And then they will still drop off the rest of us and the people we run into that don't know what they are. I don't see this as even remotely a major change on the dev side. Duration changes on ~10 buffs is likely not a big deal to make.
  15. Windance Augur

The real issue is one of educating the players that the buffs are 100% useless and can be clicked off.

I don't really care if they are permanent or long recast.

You can't please everyone and no matter what change is implemented some people will not like the change.

To me this is a very very minor annoyance and there are many significant things that they can do to improve the games quality of life.

For example revamp the aug system so we don't need 20+ different distiller reagents. Moving augs is much more annoying than clicking off a few buffs.
  16. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Just carry stacks of XXI distillers. Will work for all augs that are not Perfect Distiller only.

Of course, most people don't want to do that because they're cheap. But with the new stacks to 100, there now is at least a reasonable way to do what you want.

I've actually switched to that way on my mains ... carry a stack of XXI and a stack of XI ... and it pretty much covers everything modern close enough to efficiently.
    Niskin likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The problem is still that players are not paying attention to their buffs and understanding what they are getting. Even if you change these buffs to have a duration people will still end up having them and blocking other buffs. Same thing for removing them, sure they won't block other buffs but you will still have buff locked players.

In the end it would be better to educate players about buffs so they can remove buffs they don't need and not try to get them again because they think they need them.

We should be working to educate ourselves to prevent useless buffs from blocking useful ones.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can use any distiller reagent that matches what the aug has or is a higher level. On a live server you can just buy the top one and not worry about it. On TLP's you can buy lower level ones to save money (you can also do this on live servers as well). It was changed a while back so you don't need to match the level, just meet or exceed it.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I would love it if every player in the game always cared about every little bit of minutia the game throws at them, but that's not realistic. It can also be overwhelming when you have a ton of relevant buffs and some non-relevant ones. The more clutter there is, the less likely somebody is to look into that clutter, depending on the kind of person they are.

I still try to educate every person I group with about this since I found out, which was only a few months ago. That's a pretty small group of players so it doesn't affect me so much anymore. I'm thinking more about everybody else who has to deal with more people.

The point I'm making is that yes, for those who don't care about this, or want them for junk slots, it's easy to leave it how it is. Who cares about everybody else right? Well I do. I care about those who want the junk buffs and those who think these shouldn't even exist anymore, even though I am neither of those people. I am one of the people who thinks both sides have a point and that there is a wide range of compromise where both sides could be happy, if both sides would stop pretending the other side's concerns didn't matter.

In the end DPG may not feel like changing this, so all of this may be moot. But if it's not, and it's going to change whether you like it or not, wouldn't you like to have it out there as to what you would prefer for duration if you can't have it be permanent?
    Raccoo likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You seem to be worried about people filling up their buff slots with these specific buffs ignoring the fact that they would just get filled up with other buffs of little to no value.
    Warpeace likes this.