Luck

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ngreth mentioned that he has made new chase items for TBL.

As for the new Luck system, I hope it's not a type of RNG time-sink vs. massive pay-wall "Ascendant" system that they installed in EQ2.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

There should be a Bloody Mess AA.
    Axxius likes this.
  3. Yimin Augur

I see i am not the only fan of FallOut

YiMin
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Yimin Augur

Good god I hope so thats just like old EQ fights for camps I LOVE it :D

YiMin
  5. Tucoh Augur

This doesn't sound like a bad mechanic personally because itll give me something to do with the horde of repeated drops i get. I probably wont camp stuff specifically for luck benefits because i dony care that much about gear.

However, i think this will hurt new folks who can be greatly helped by rotting gear drops. Now instead of cothing someone in to get a pet earring my mage already has ill loot it and merge it for luck.
  6. Eggolas Augur

Have to agree. Returning players could get EoK T1 armor drops as people would announce them rotting at places like Bi'faak or even T2 drops and pet earrings. This will make gearing more difficult for many, all else being equal.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'm a fan of the concept of the Luck stat. I'm not a fan of the implementation of how to increase the stat. Being forced to use the exact same item creates a lot of freseeable issues. For guilds gearing applicants this year, we're faced with the issue of how do we balance Full Members putting in to increase Luck versus the app who will have cruddy gear. The above mentioned camps always being taken scenario sounds like an even worse nightmare for players. There really should be a Luck Item dropping as has been suggested. I really hope concerns are considered, here. This has a chance of really causing a lot of negativity and drama we all don't need in game.
  8. Ghubuk Augur

Will be bad as well when each expansion comes out. You will lose luck when you have to replace gear. Seems to be not a good idea to have to go backwards when gearing up in new expansion gear.
  9. Eggolas Augur

Mechanism for Luck should have been droppable Type 3 augments.
    Wulfhere and Thrillho like this.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Luck will work on total luck thresholds. At the lowest levels all things that luck can affect will not trigger, but by the time you have max luck, all of the things luck can effect will be triggerable. These thresholds will be additive, so affects you already have won't stop working.

Luck by itself doesn't trigger, as a player in this thread suggested. Instead, when one of the abilities that luck effects is used/triggered/etc a luck roll is made, If you are lucky, the luck effect happens.

Someone mentioned a fear that we will "back down" on some effects because of luck. I can't promise this won't happen, but there are no plans for a general adjustment.
    That said, we recently found a few effects that in some cases go greater than 100% that make players immune all the time in certain situations, not in short bursts like weapon-shield, runes and similar. And this is WITHOUT luck. These abilities might get some adjustment, and we will be putting a cap on how effective these abilities can be. (This cap will still be near 100%, but we won't be allowing people permanent immunity) I can understand how saying something like this is scary to you guys, but I can't and won't go into it more at this point.
    I do think that many folks can see how 100% at all times immunity is not good for the game. We are not adjusting these abilities because of luck, but because of the 100% immunity issue. Even without luck, they can reach 100%
    But, because of the timing, if I don't say something now, you won't believe us when we make the change.

That is something I will need to be careful of in the future. We have the ability to set the low and high value, 1 does not need to be the minimum.
  11. Ghubuk Augur

One thing about luck that I see could be a problem is group vs raid gear. If the idea is that you combine multiple pieces of the same gear to raise the luck on it, how is that going to be easily done with raid gear? Unless in one of the bleeding edge guilds that are getting massive amounts of rot raid drops, will it mean that using group gear with higher luck (as it is easier to get multiple pieces of group gear) be better than using raid gear with no luck?
  12. OrchardField Journeyman

I'm visiting all the alchemist venders now and buying all of their clovers.
    Pink Hearts, Yellow Moons, Orange Stars, Green Clovers, Blue Diamonds, and Purple Horseshoes! You'll never get me lucky charms!
    Brutalis-trak likes this.
  13. Dahaman Augur

This is a great suggestion. A global "Luck Item" drop creates a rather nice implementation mechanic.

- it removes the over camping one spot issue
    - it removes the raid gearing of new members issue
    - it increases economic interaction between soloers, groupers, and raiders (if the rare luck drop is not nodrop)
    - it increases economic interaction between new and veteran characters/players

Addtional Potential: Make the global drops more common and combine 100 (or maybe 1000) of the uncommon drops to create the needed "Luck Item". This removes some of the RNG from the equation and transforms the Luck item into more of a currency.
    Caell and Ibadan Kun'Tirel like this.
  14. Giles Trainbringer Journeyman

Quick question, with Luck being added to the game, will it appear on progression servers before burning lands launches? is there a baseline for the stat or will it be set at 0 until burning lands releases on progression server?
  15. Vanrau Augur

It will only be on TBL items and newer expansions.
  16. Giles Trainbringer Journeyman

I realize that, but what im talking about is there going to be a racial baseline, are some races luckier then others and will that stat affect us before TBL launches. aka ogres have a baseline of 65 luck and halflings have a baseline of 105 luck?
  17. segap Augur

Which negates any reason to work on it. If it takes someone nearly a year to build up luck, through effort and real money, why do it if a month later, new gear gives the same luck you just finally achieved. Conversely, why work on it if you're going to lose it in a month when you start getting new gear in a new expansion. Either way, there's no incentive.

This needs to be done independent of gear. It needs to persist expansion to expansion. It needs to be designed to grow in threshold expansion to expansion. As implemented, it's just a hamster wheel where you never really come out ahead.
  18. Monkman Augur

Luck is going to make the game worse. It is not needed.
    Teylana, Xeladom, Slippry and 2 others like this.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't care about the implementation of the new stat's affects on abilities: I think it is superfluous and unnecessary, but whatever...it's new for a minute. I think it has a high likelihood of being forgotten after this expansion, and I think it will be funny to see all the messes it creates. But I can't stand the idea of camping the same item multiple times and fighting with all the other players trying to do the same.

I think the "fusing" items mechanic will cause massive hatred among players due to camp limitations. I know many players who already camp the same items 6+ times for their groups, and now those players will be at each camp for 20+ drops. We will all hate each other because all camps will taken for the first 6 months by the same 10 players.

Just when you thought camping mobs couldn't get more boring, we're gonna have you do it 5x more...

Suggestions:
    • Dropable item to raise luck stat (as mentioned by others).
    • Private /picks (long standing request to improve inter-player relations).
    • Allow any item with Luck to be fused with the item you want to keep (not just a duplicate of itself).
    • Increase named spawns and set 100% drop rates.
    Do NOT require duplicate raid items to raise Luck. That's just boneheaded.

How long do you think it will be until they sell something to increase Luck in the Station Cash store? Opening day? Or do you think they'll wait a week or two to let you get hungry first?
    Teylana, Wulfhere and Barton like this.
  20. segap Augur

I agree that the implementation could likely do so. I do like that they're trying to think of something new and interesting. We do need some fresh ideas and there's potential here. This could be fun and interesting if they'd re-think how it works, but the clock for December 11th is ticking.
    Jhenna_BB, Slippry and Sancus like this.