Luck

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You have to loot the item to see if it is better.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

While I think the luck system is bad I am not sure it would go the way you say. If I am running a raid guild I make one change. Raiders who don;t have a particular luck item get dibs and bid on things between themselves before it gets opened up to everyone. That would mean everyone would at least have to have a Ring of Awesome before people could bid on them to upgrade their luck. But then again I don't run a raid guild. Maybe that would cause too much of an uproar.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

EQ Devs saw how much the WoW playerbase was complaining about THEIR new expansion loot system and wanted a piece of that action I see.

I'm surprised they didn't double down on it and give the luck fusing process a chance to fail and go full Lineage on us in terms of redundant grinding. At least hCHA might have a friend to swap war stories with if we see another expansion after this.
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

Will their be a way to convert you TBL Expansions convert luck to the newer raid gear in the Fall Expansion of 2019 or will it start all over again Rand 1-5 once looted?
  5. Zamiam Augur

I swear I think the Dev's morning discussion goes something like this ..

Devs: Ok how can we close EQ down for good , we tried the 20+ multiple hails in TDS that did not work .. we then made RoS gear req EoK gear to upgrade and AE aura attacks from mobs and flying mobs that did not work .. these darn EQers keep coming back is there anything we can do..

Devs1: Hey, I have a Great Idea lets give them a LUCK stat they will have to farm gear 4 or 5 times to max out .. and to top it off lets give them a rootin tootin Rock garden for pre-ordering and to wet their lips a bit lets offer a Djin Hat for beta users..
    we also wont give them anything spectacular in the collectors or premium package , but will still way overcharge it..

you devs are funny .. you talk about how giving us some upgrades or better stuff would cost us a new zone in the next expansion .. well you know I would give up a zone if it meant some decent stuff for once .. I would be alright with 3 or 4 zones .. heck some of these expansions are copied zones anyways .. when DB first took over didnt you guys say that we would not be getting a full expansion every year but it would be broken down into 2 smaller ( sub expansions, ? forgot what they called it) mini expansions throughout the year.. also I would be ok if we skipped a year didnt have an expansion at all then the next year have the game get some major needed rework and a big expansion 2 years down the line.. maybe work on it for EQ 25th anniversary ..if it makes it ..

but you guys really need to do something .. this is getting Ridiculous ..no new keyrings , no Heroic toons included , only 1 old graphic illusion.. this game needs some serious attention ..
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This will change. You will know what the item is on the corpse. For tradeskills though, you won't know until it's made.
    As it is, currently, you will start over. *BUT* my current plans is that the next would perhaps (not set in stone... this is only general idea.) do 3 to 7 or... 5 to 9 or 6 to 10. Only the first idea has a "start over" possibility. ther rest is "at least as good or better". I can set the min and max, I don't have to start at 1.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Mediik Augur

8. Goodn Augur

I'm not a fan of the luck system being introduced, but you have spent time on it so it is getting introduced in some form - I get that. I would seriously consider making some changes to make its introduction simpler for people to understand and get used to.

First, make the first iteration of luck only 3 levels. A 5 level spread of something means some people get lucky, and some get hosed. Since luck already works like RNG...you are in a sense having the chance to get double hosed...never a good thing for a shrinking player base.

Second, make all items start at level 1 luck. This eliminates uncertainty from the picture on one side. You know what an item will give you for luck and you will know how many other items you need (namely 2) to max it out. Raid guilds can get some certainty for what loot is worth (creating more uncertainty in raid loot is just flat out boring for usually 50 of the 54 folks there). And the unknown for TS items, especially for those not able to super farm, is just cruel.

And then give the system a whirl. You can easily see how many folks are upgrading items for better luck in the group and raid game. You can more easily tune 3 levels rather than 5 (and let's face it, there will almost certainly need to be luck tuning post-beta). And folks can tell from parses/play how much luck is worth to them. Raid leaders can see what effect it has on raid success.

Luck is a big directional change for items. Let's stick our foot in the pond before diving head first in and having to redo a bunch of stuff on the way to the end.
  9. Zerplow New Member

Does this include raid drops in the advanced loot window?
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Are you talking about things like?
    * fear resistance AA (SPA 181)
    * sanctification (SPA 180)
    * stun resist (SPA 195)
    * steadfast will AA (SPA 293)
    * persistent casting AA (SPA 229)
    * strikethrough (SPA 292)
    * heroic strikethrough
    I agree and I posted before that it's not good for players and NPC alike. Sure NPCs have crutch abilities to make up for their AI limitations like summoning and warping, but 100% strikethrough in era? As much as I like strikethrough and melee stun resistance for my characters, having any of them at 100% is "not good for the game".

Likewise normal spell casting resistances, even after the complete rework many years ago, makes NPCs that cast player spells a laugh since nothing lands anymore with Defiant plus gear stats. The negative responses to that can been seen in NPC only spells that cannot be resisted, reflected, or cured.

The corollary to 100% "immunity" being bad is that 100% "vulnerability" is bad (design) too. We see evidence of this conundrum in spells that have both min and max resist rates that tune in a middle ground so to speak. Expand on those methods!
    Slippry likes this.
  11. Tiggold Augur

What raid guilds are not gearing their tanks first?
  12. Wulfhere Augur

Your points go to the core of the game's design and evolution. Luck is no different then any other game stat. I would argue that there is no incentive to increase most of the stats in the game. Now wether Luck is magnified on par with HP, AC, Mana, or as marginal as Charisma and Clairvoyance remains to be seen.
  13. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

How will Bazaar prices work for items with luck?

Will you be able to distinguish the saved price of the 1 luck version of an item from the 10 luck version?
    Yinla and Jhenna_BB like this.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Are there going to be Tradeskill Items that have Luck?
  15. segap Augur

It's different. For all the other stats, the new stuff starts off as an increase when you replace it. They do do some silly stuff like shuffle values between slots so that while the total is more, you lose on some slots and gain on others. Luck as implemented requires you make an investment (including real money) on something that resets the next expansion until you build it back up again. And the time frame to build back up again (especially with raid gear) could mean a significant time span of losing what you got after having it for only a short period of time.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Will you even be able to see the actual Luck of an item before you buy it?
  17. Tappin Augur

We won’t know how bad this is going to be until more data presented and analyzed. If a new expansion drops next year I wonder how many will use their upgrade prior to having a full set. This may backfire in the end.
  18. segap Augur

I'm also curious about how the luck combine works. Do you need to remove your augs or else lose them? For type 3s, that could be another 20k plat added to the cost. Then there are some type 3s bought with currencies that are perfected distiller only which will require additional loyalty or dbc to remove (or else camping more currency to replace them or getting from ldon chests). For visibles, the purity augs are also perfected only.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I hadn't thought of this, I would assume a different item ID# would have to be assigned for each possible luck score for separate pricing. Otherwise, you'll only be able to place one luck score out at a time. Depending on how knowledgeable players will be on the stats once they loot the drop, the bazaar could be much slower than the crazy amounts of transactions we saw with Conflagrant. Being able to place all luck scores (at the desired pricing) might prove more useful than we'd think.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Oh well then Luck is like them new focus and synergy AA that improve a spell from one expansion only. It literally makes one not use a newer rank spell until you have the 100 or 200 AA required to invest in new AA ranks that make it an actual upgrade.

Luck will be of little interest then to causal players.