Everquest is a pvp game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by icefilms, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icefilms New Member

Everquest is a perfectly unbalanced pvp game, it was originally made as a pvp game with features like guild wars, arenas, bottleneck progression, it was meant for guilds to compete. Now it is mindless raids killing Quarm 10 times a day maxing out loot only to go afk and show it off in front of the pok bank. Sorry but this is not everquest, you dont even need to go on corpse runs, everything is easy mode. Make a pvp server or implement guild wars and get rid of all this instanced streamlined WoW crap. Only the top guild should be killing in the elementals, everyone else should be huddled in their little LDoN rats nests hiding from the hardcores.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  2. Rosvineer New Member

Are guild wars not an option anymore? We did a couple way back when there were RP guilds
  3. Rhodz Augur

It was made with PvP possible but was never the focus of the game by any interpretation. They were just as clear about this two decades ago as now. Well even more so back then because they would talk to us fairly often.

Keep saying this but once a means of easily turning the game into a paying "job" came about things took a real nasty turn when it came to competition.

As for the attitude that only "elite" should play content paid for by all well... just no.
    We are not going to take it any longer, your server would be dead on arrival. Go play on Vulak if you want to feel "special".
  4. fransisco Augur

WAY back like 1-2 years after release, it was decided it let the pvp side of the game die.
    Pvp play was always a secondary thought, and in order to make ever add anything to the game, they would always need to consider how it effected pvp. The designers decided that it was holding the game back. The core of eq was never pvp. So they rightfully let it wither.
    Bailen, PCSS, Xanumbik and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

Brad disagrees with EQ being pve only.
  6. Rhodz Augur

Dont see anyone saying differently but the OP
  7. fransisco Augur

A creator of the game is irrelevant. Its the people who expanded on the game who made the decisions.
  8. Randomgamer Journeyman

Every once in a while someone posts about pvp but I honestly don't think there are enough pvp players to make a server for pvp. If the pvp community had numbers the Zek servers would still be around and populated.

Slightly off the OP. I read these forums and ppl posting about how eq was and comparing to TLPs. I played back in the beginning and It was different. There weren't 10+ guilds raiding end content at a time back then. I was on Mith Marr and until they moved to WoW,shortly after GoD dropped, Afterlife was the top guild in eq. I can only think of hmm maybe 3 possible 4 guilds that were hardcore with them on my server. Even then a lot of guilds were doing different raids. Sure there were some fights over content but nothing like what some of the posters "remember". They would have you believe it was 10 guilds fighting for content continuously on every server. If the population on Phinny at its peak would have been on every server back in 1999,there probably would have been double of all the the servers back then. Eq was popular for sure but never had the population like WoW. I'm not a wow fan just saying.

Probably the best moment for pvp history was when 3 guilds took down the sleeper together. Iirc there were some pvp fights going on while they were doing it.

I would like to see the pvp community get there own tlp. I just don't think there are enough of you guys to get dbg to use the resources for it.
  9. King Dedede Elder

You want PVP try another game that is balanced for it. Not one where you get all the advantages of slaughtering people who don't have the gear or levels to keep up.
    Bailen and PCSS like this.
  10. nagash101 Augur

o_O
  11. Grimreaper New Member

Y'all are some uneducated folks. Give that a watch. Original devs were horrified of pvp bc of ultima
    PCSS likes this.
  12. Carns Lorekeeper

The only thing brad ever cared about was looking cooler than everyone else. Ranger with Green Platemail, and Fiery Avenger a year before it was in the game.

EQ was not built to be PVP. It was very PVP adverse, having just seen UO almost be destroyed by PVP. PVP was ONLY included because the market testing was available and they were deathly afraid that a game with no PVP what so ever would not sell.

There was very little raid competition on most servers. In most cases, there were only two guilds doing top tier stuff, and in many of those, they worked amicably or cooperated. One can bring up the Fennin Ro Server, but by that time all the decent people had fled the post pottery nerf economy. If the only people left on the biggest server are all already human crapstains, does it not stand to reason that they would make two crapstain guilds and crapstain all over each other and the server?

The only competition on regular non crapstain servers was hoping one of the Uberguilds wasnt feeling particularly crapstainish and killing off a lower tier target to prove how much they don't need the other Uberguild they are tied to.

Given the level grind, not that many people made it to raiding level to begin with, and you are talking about servers with weekend concurrent populations of ~1200 to Fennin's 2000. That supports a raiding population about about 70 people. Agnarr has something like 12,000 current online.
  13. icefilms New Member

devs NEVER gave up on pvp, they merged zek into one huge server, which happened to be the first server to kill Kerafyrm btw.. which shows the skill difference between you auto attacking raiders and us PVPing jousters
  14. Leftharted Elder

I'm not sure about live era, but in these older TLP era's pvp was HORRIBLY unbalanced. Makes the Meta of class balance all out of wack, and near impossible to compete if you aren't some cookie cutter setup.

And citing what Brad was or wasn't approving of is indeed irrelevant now... Example? George Lucas and Star Wars. 8P
  15. jeskola pheerie

EQ is totally like this!

[IMG]
    dragonlee66 and Hinastorm86 like this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

everyone who plays EQ is in their 40s or 50s now. if you want things to be that competitive, there are other PC games people play in huge sports stadiums.
  17. urbanbo70 Elder

Why are you contradicting yourself?
  18. Rhodz Augur

UO was ... pretty bad.
    A large part of what drove Darkfall was the UO mindset and man did that stand out as wallowed around in failure. Frankly I like civilized PvP, yeah it is possible, but what it attracts now is not for me.
    If they want a pvp game which actually proves something I suggest chess. Civilized pvp
  19. Sokon Augur

I agree. That doesn't mean I don't see alot of potential. They just need some base dmg mitigation put in since player dmg output is so high now.
  20. Rauven Augur

Planetside 2 is the only game you're going to see real PVP in. Very little hand holding, and actions between players actually have consequences. Those of you with membership/krono can play it as a premium member as well since its also a Daybreak game.

Archeage and Black Desert come close, but are destroyed by P2W elements
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.