Launchpad problem

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Shavin, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Ok so worst case is need to buy and install new OS.

What is a quick fix for the next few weeks? Basically what files/folders need to be copied over to another computer so I dont spend forever fixing UI windows and hot bars etc?

Or just copy the entire 10gb ish folder and drop it on the desktop of the other pc? If I remember right it was some .ini files or something?

I planed on building a new pc soon, just dont want to dump the cash into it right now, much rather spread it out as to ensure the right parts are getting bought.
  2. Ghubuk Augur

An honest question. Why would anyone use an OS older than Win 7?
    Zirquel likes this.
  3. Socratic Journeyman

Why would I upgrade an operating system on a computer that does everything I need it to do?

So that I can run the latest version of launchpad (not a game, just launchpad) isn't a good reason to me.
    Suifeng likes this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Because they play EQ on a really old computer?
  5. Tullian Journeyman

I have always tried to keep XP because it has been a very reliable OS and I probably because I am so use to the set up. I really hate this with companies forcing people to upgrade when its not req'd
    Beastro likes this.
  6. Tullian Journeyman

Could we get a DEV to chime in please and at least say if there is a workaround or not? I was going to use a thumb drive to get the updates off my laptop and then put them on my XP pc then bypass the updater but do I need to copy the whole EQ file or what files can I add to be able to take the bypass route and login with out telling me I need to run the patcher?
  7. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Copying the files didn't seem to work over here either. The game launches (not the patcher obviously), but as soon as it hits char select it closes with no error message.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, xp was a great OS, but most new hardware doesn't come with xp drivers, so you would probably be forced to upgrade the OS next time you had a hardware failure anyway.

Still, one of the cool features with eq was that it could run on old computers, If they drop support for older OS'ses it will most likely affect boxers on truebox servers alot...
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

With the typically poor level of communication SOE and now DBG has shown towards it's players I don't really expect any kind of meaningful response any time in the near future on this issue. On the other hand, and partly as a frame of reference, what are the minimum requirements for WoW?
  10. nantalbus Elder

same as eq based on wow board. windows 7 or higher
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And to answer my own question:

As posted on Battle.net, the minimum requirement:
    • OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 10 with latest service pack.
    • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 or AMD Phenom II X3 720.
    • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 440 or AMD Radeon HD 5670 or Intel HD Graphics 5000.
    • RAM: 2 GB.
    That makes it a possibility. Hmmmm
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

WOW requires win7 or newer too btw. EQ was special with its backwards compatibility, My guess is that it will get fixed though...if it is easy...EQ does have alot of players with old computers compared to other MMO's
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Out of curiosity, is Win 7 even available?
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You should be able to find win7 on webshops still. I would recommend win10 if you computer can handle it though, its a nice OS.

Don't make any rash purchases though, DBG might fix it...:)
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Old computer here. With a kid in college (bought him a nice new laptop with win 10) and three other kids, a system that will run Win 10 is not in the cards right now. But, the Win 7 upgrade advisor says that:

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report

Computer Name:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
    Memory: 2.0 GB
    Information about upgrading to 32-bit Windows 7
    System
    Details
    [IMG]
    Custom installation required
    You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
    Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP
    [IMG]
    Outlook Express
    This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
    Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
    [IMG]
    More info from Dell Inc.
    Dell Inc. has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC.
    Visit the Dell Inc. website
    [IMG]
    Windows Aero support
    Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
    Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
    [IMG]
    CPU speed: 3.4 GHz
    Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
    [IMG]
    2.0 GB of RAM
    Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.
    [IMG]
    16.3 GB free space available on C:
    Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Devices
    Status
    Details
    [IMG]
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Broadcom
    Unknown
    We don't have compatibility information about this device.
    [IMG]
    ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series
    ATI Technologies Inc.
    Compatible
    This device is compatible with Windows 7.
    [IMG]
    ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Secondary
    ATI Technologies Inc.
    Compatible
    [IMG]
    HP Photosmart 5520 series
    HP
    Check Windows Update
    Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    [IMG]
    HP Photosmart 5520 series (REST)
    Hewlett-Packard
    Check Windows Update
    Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
    [IMG]
    HP Photosmart 5520 series (USB)
    Hewlett-Packard
    Check Windows Update
    [IMG]
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Analog Devices, Inc.
    Check Windows Update
    [IMG]
    USB KeyMaestro Multimedia Keyboard(Windows XP)
    KeyMaestro
    Compatible
    [IMG]
    USB Mass Storage Device
    Compatible USB storage device
    Compatible
    [IMG]
    USB Printing Support
    Microsoft
    Compatible
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

wacky work around::p
    Install an that can run linux, and install wine on that, I have heard EQ works on wine...or used to...

no clue if it works...

linux can run in dosbox it seems
    edit: emulators are not allowed for EQ, so nevermind...
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

I may just wait and see if DBG does some kind of workaround (hahahahahahaha. Made myself laugh there) or look into upgrading the operating system.
  18. Tullian Journeyman

nice, I will go play WoW then and keep my XP :p
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

20. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

If all else fails... Starcraft 1 (with the expansion) is now freeware, that should still work on XP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.