Archery Dead Zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raptour_MT, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Ruven_BB Augur

"My main alt is a ranger"

This made me laugh pretty hard. If Everquest didn't keep see sawing us playing a melee or range class there would be less issues. But currently they decided to turn us into range class again, but gave us an adps tool that is melee oriented. And as Kaedyn stated above, its a slap in the face, clearly showing that DBG doesn't understand the class (and this hasn't been the first time, nor will be the last).

Perhaps if they would listen to those that actually play the class full time, (started since 99 and have close to 3 years actual playtime with no baz afk) instead of Palys that think they understand the class playing them as alts, less issues would be arising like this.

Ruven
  2. Cicelee Augur

That is a slightly unfair way of looking at it.

Just because someone has an alt doesn't necessarily mean they lack knowledge, skill, ability and talent in a certain class. Furthermore just because someone has played their class for a thousand days over the past seventeen years doesn't necessarily mean they know more than anyone else who hasn't played for a thousand days.

Now I am not saying that Maedhros knows more about rangers than Ruben, or vice versa. Just saying you cannot make a blanket statement like "Well he has an alt, therefore he doesn't know the class like I do".
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Ruven_BB Augur

He made the statement my alt main is a ranger. If there was a paladin thread that I wrote opinions generally contrary to the Paladin's in general, then wrote my alt was paladin, I'd be laughed out of the thread.

I care about my class, but its the class I play, in groups and raids for the past 17 years in the bad years (where the ranger jokes started) to the good years. I'm not saying that if your not a ranger you can't make comments, but don't try to gain credibility by saying your a part time ranger to rebut some of the best rangers in the game (and I am not counting me in that group) is humorous at best, insulting to others.

The issue is there isn't enough overlap from being too close to fire arrows and being close enough to trigger adps aas. Because the risk of losing damage from the penalty is to large to justify riding that edge. Which means other melee dps classes that want our adps aren't going to get it because DBG decided this expansion we are range damage vs melee.

If the range was lessened for bowing, or the range increased for the adps triggers, it would solve the poor design that DBG incorporated. We are not asking to melee to be boosted, just let us use the the buttons that we bought at over inflated aa prices.

Ruven
    Orienn likes this.
  4. Maedhros High King

I said that my alt is a ranger so you would understand that when I play my alt, which I created in 2000 by the way, I too am subject to this "dead zone penalty" that you speak of.
    I have had a few times where I am too far away to kick, and then when I sneak closer to kick I am too close to shoot arrows. Like anything else, I have found that the more I practice it the better my results. I did an exp group for a few hours last night and dont believe I ever once was too far to use jolting kick but too close to melee, I got better at gauging the distance.

Getting a HUGE boost to ranged dps, and at the same time getting a really cool group utility that procs off the jolting kicks is not a slap in the face. I think people that throw around that phrase in pathetic whiny rants like this are probably a 35 year old person living in their parents basement and throwing temper tantrums when their parents use the wifi and interrupt their streaming on netflix.
    A slap in the face would be if they completely nerfed ranger melee, which lets face it is far better than alot of pure melee dps, and still added the kick synergy.

Youre crying about incredible options for dps that no other classes have because they dont allow you to be lazy, and you actually have to grow as a player to use the shiny new aa.

Happy New Year!
  5. Ruven_BB Augur

Seriously, I grouped on my alt, didn't see a problem? Raiding is a completely different situation than grouping. Tanks dying and ponging, pet pushing and other random dynamics makes it close to impossible to nail it like in a group situation. Sure there are events and situations that it can be weaved, but they are the exception not the rule.

You are making broad assertions on a class you are not fully utilizing, calling those that are asking for a change lazy, on a class you stated is easy to play. Your math doesn't add up, the gain of synergy is lost if I lose 5 seconds of dps (over 1mm damage). Keep in mind they have a built in bow damage delay, so reacting to sudden changes is hindered. So we spend 1k of aa for an option that is stupid to use because DBG changed our class from melee'n to range fighting.

Further, the ability we like to use is beneficial to the group, could have been easily tied to a spell cast that they put on kick. Can you imagine the uproar if they linked caster's synergies to melee skills?

Ruven
  6. Cicelee Augur

Goodness gracious people still believe this?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  7. Maedhros High King

You seem to be making alot of assumptions.
    Here is the Magelo link to my ranger:
    https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1336410
    He is on the same account as Maedhros, so everything I have done on the ranger I have earned by playing him as though he was a main toon, he didnt get the benefit of grouping with my paladin and just standing back shooting arrows like alot of ranger alts. Be sure to note the 22k AA and the Eyes of Life and Decay in my mask, I am very well versed in both grouping and raiding on the ranger. The picture is my ranger from many years ago using Aurora, not some epic ornament. Ive been raiding the ranger for a long time I promise.

The difficulty to use kick and Focused Squall of Blades while using archery has existed for years now.
    It seems like whining because where was this post before Outriders synergy AA was available?

If you are not having MORE difficulty with archery while in exp groups than on raids, I suggest you start grouping with more advanced people. When there are 8 or 9 mobs in camp coming from multiple directions from multiple pullers including yourself, I assure you it is FAR more difficult to use archery in exp groups than on raids where very often the boss is rooted or shoved in a corner someplace.
  8. EnchFWO Augur

It's easier to blame pet push than actually hold people accountable for spells that have knockback components. It's laziness.
  9. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Ok I have to ask - who in the heck is "crying" as a Ranger in this thread about the Dead Zone in the first place? Automatically it is being assumed people are "salty" because an ask about a change in game play was asked for. I can say with great certainty that people that are playing Rangers at the moment are pretty damn happy with where the class is on all fronts. So we can't ask for stuff if we play a Ranger because the class performs well. Got it!
  10. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

You got your fantasy in my reality! You got your reality in my fantasy! I propose any changes to ranger kicks require snake kicks be permitted once again. While we are making crazy demands, let's get locked doors to work like locked doors!

Full Disclosure: My main is not a ranger. My alt is not a ranger. I know a guy who knows a guy who dislikes playing his brother's ranger. I once shot a bow in real life. I dislike snakes.
  11. Ruven_BB Augur

Yeah, Jhenna asked me for a backrub once, I was so upset!

Frankly, if they tied the synergy to one of our bow spells shots or rain, this discussion probably wouldn't have even been brought up.

Ruven
  12. segap Augur

Well, discussing changing the trigger would have been a discussion many people would not have laughed at. Asking to make ranged damage not ranged on the other hand...

Many classes got strange choices made for what triggers their synergies. Requiring spells or abilities which were not commonly used by the classes ever. It's as if a dev was really proud of some spells/abilities and miffed why they weren't used more, so thought they'd force feed them.
  13. Ssixa Augur

Good luck... I've been asking for the dead zone to be removed for years. They always say it is "too difficult" to change the code or that archery is there to serve as a less risky option in terms of agro generation and wild rampage damage. Unfortunately, neither is really a good excuse in 2016/2017. Agro generation from raid tanks is so astounding at this point, they would have to die for you to get agro as a ranger in melee battle. With Cover Tracks available every 3 minutes, this is even less of an issue. More incoming damage from wild rampage? I'll take that risk. And saying it is too difficult is a cop out...we've seen how many changes over the last few years that we had been told were impossible changes to make? Sure it might take a little effort. Sure, it might only be really serving one class. But don't force our hand into using archery (again), if you don't expect us to want to be able to stand up in the frontlines plinking arrows in the mob's face. The fact of the matter is, the OP is right: this is a quality of life gameplay change opportunity. Make it happen, devs!
    Thraine and Jhenna_BB like this.
  14. Belexes ForumQuester

I play a ranger as my main character and I have no difficulty with the dead zone. It just takes a little practice. I don't see why they should remove it. Playing a class should always be about choices. Be glad there is an overlap here. I personally think there shouldn't be one.

I have competed in archery at a world class level and still shoot a bow regularly. There is no way I would be using a bow in melee range in actual combat, that is a good way to get dead. Trust me. I don't think they should allow archery DPS in melee range. I was pretty shocked to see how far out I could use the kick or the focused squall.

For those rangers who wish to do their fighting in the overlap zone, just practice doing it. It isn't that hard to figure out. It gets pretty instinctive after a while.

I agree with this. When I am in groups, I will often be puller, crowd control etc. It is not easy with auto shoot going when you need to switch from one target to another. For me, I will avoid archery DPS in those kind of situations. If I have one specific role in the group where archery DPS makes the most sense, then I use it. An example would be the role of helping goblins die faster in FM. ;)
  15. Orienn TreeHugger

I made a gina trigger for when your too close to use a ranged weapon actually helps in situations where lots of things are going on at once at least for me anyways.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

I've never heard a ranger complain about this other than this thread. I play with some good rangers and they seem to manage to handle it.
  17. catcattank Elder

Bigstomp, try asking them about it in situations where it matters? Or, if you see them melee'ing, kindly remind them that their ranged DPS is what matters, and not their melee.
    Thraine likes this.
  18. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It's a Video Game, you need to put it down and calm down, bro!
  19. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Did you even read the post this was in response to or did you forget to take your meds which is why you are spazing about a guy replying to another guy talking specifically about Legalos?
  20. Orienn TreeHugger

They're pretty close in terms of genre, both have mythical creatures etc.