EverQuest Next Canceled

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Feradach, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Zamiam Augur

even if EQN had launched i know myself and lots of others who would not of even played it .. unless they can come up with a way to xfer the toons/or accounts from EQ to the upgrade new game .. I know i wont be playing it .. I have tens of thousands of hours and thousands of dollars vested in EQ with my 7 accounts and almost 17 years of playing. if EQ does get shut down eventually and another game comes around then who knows , but i wont be playing anygame Sony or DB if DB even releases another game just in spite that they left EQ in the wind and let it die.. thats just me ..

lets see here im 44 now so i started playing EQ when i was 27 .. thats a long time investment one that can't be replaced easily. and the money isn't that much of an issue its the Time investment and friends/ memories of a great game .. I played Ultima Online before EQ and i think that is still going ? so im sure EQ will live on for quite some time..
  2. Mouldy Shroom Journeyman

I don't think I said that. I don't think I said EQ was dead, or that it couldn't use more resources. Or even that you couldn't keep it going for several more years.

I do say that you there are things you can't do with an old product that you can do by starting again.

Like it or not, you can't just iteratively evolve EQ into a modern game, with a modern engine, fixing all its problems and maintaining a monolithic code base.

At some point the old code becomes a limitation. The only way to remove that limitation is to start again.

Let's remember that EQ was never designed to run for 17 years. They didn't build it from the ground up with forward extensibility in mind. EQ is a product of a very old egnine (World of Tanks, wasn't it?), with lots of ancient code, and systems that are already at the very /limits/ of what is possible. The AA system, in particular.

EQ is already Frankenstein's monster. It could live forever, but it isn't ever going to be pretty.
  3. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

All I know is I want Sklug back working on EQ and in charge of Test again! We've missed you Sklug!
    Nniki, Imrahil, Zalamyr and 6 others like this.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

New player models for EQ please. You've already created them.
  5. Moklianne Augur

Yeah, we all want Disney models in EQ....
  6. MrMajestykx Augur

frankly I'm glad it tanked, as posted here as well doubt many were gonna hit it anyway and to me was a parasite for the game of EQ as whole. just my 2cp, said my peace im done here, I m glad its done with.

[IMG]
    Hiladdar likes this.
  7. AlmarsGuides Augur

Any game that forces grouping in modern gaming = a flop.

People treat people to poorly for forced grouping to ever succeed. I think it only works on EQs TLPs because at least 3/4 of the people are old heads who had their teenage angst drained two decades ago
    Perplexed, Kravitz and Indrigoth like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The boondoggle is dead!
    Hiladdar likes this.
  9. shadowgod Augur

Not feasible because of resources. They could update the engine EQ uses but the resources to do so were used on EQ2 and EQN instead and that's why players left and never came back. SOE treated EQ and EQ2 like a brand new car except they never changed the oil and never got new tires just drove it until it died.

You say its too old ? WOW makes your argument wrong. If you're willing to put the resources back into the product players will come. They never did that with EQ ever no attempt to modernize the game engine ever.
  10. Forcallen Augur

Oh the places this game could have gone without all its money having been wasted elsewhere.
  11. taliefer Augur

there is absolutely things they could do to improve EQ. anyone remembering the "opening system" they tried to add to combat years ago? the devs tried. the playerbase overwhelmingly shot that down. same thing when they tried updating character models a few years back. playerbase shot it down.

the EQ playerbase is fickle. they want resources dedicated to the game, but anytime they've tried updating the game to make it more modern and more appealing to newer players, the ideas get met with outright hostility.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Umbraeques Lorekeeper

Really those resources could have been used to completely rewrite EQ.

So many times we've heard that "the code is so old, it just can't do that." So recreate it from scratch in a way so it can do that... Re-release it in its new form, copy everyone over, new graphics, new engine but the same game on the surface. Stop half--ing patch changes, make it better from the ground up.
  13. Reht The Dude abides...

Of course they could have, but they didn't want to or thought it wasn't viable. I don't think anyone is disagreeing, doesn't change the fact that they clearly didn't think it made enough sense to do so, fiscally speaking.
  14. Weverley Augur

I'm wondering something.They say landmark is continuing so would it be possible to create the world of norrath as it is with landmark game engine or do they have to recreate the whole thing.
  15. Gnomeland Augur

There are issues other than code base with Everquest 1 getting new players - for example, the fact that 99% of the player base on Live is at/near level 105. They'd have to support two player bases, in Everquest 1's case - the Live players who want additional content at 105+, and the players on Phinigel, etc. who want to start over.

We all see how this is turning out.
  16. YellowBelly Augur

I would be on the lookout closely during the next year or so though for something about the future of EQ1.
  17. Dre. Altoholic

Do you really think Hero's Forge looks better than the EQN models?
  18. quseio Augur

The human models for landmark look great let's get eq to get them....
    I think eq needs some way to get players into older somewheres a few ways player made quests complete them for points towards say a charm like ldon, a reincarnation system2here once you reach say 100 or xxxx number of aas you can be reborn and start over gain access to new spell linesand passive bonuses ,if you want to take you could talk to NPC and (remember) your past is go back to being whatever lvl you where .
    What this does lots of people in old zones ,lots of low lvls and another time sink.
  19. Reht The Dude abides...

Yes
    Moklianne, anvil, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  20. quseio Augur

Why are people so afraid to start over? Being a noob was FUN give veterans some kind of Bonus like a Aug or something that the higher lvl andaasyou had ineq 1 the higher the stats on the let's callit eq3 aug