Viability of a no box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zeltari-Ragefire, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Gemstones Journeyman

In my opinion some of those crazy makes-no-sense types of groups usually turn out to be the most fun. Once I was in a group where our only healer was a ranger. I've been in groups with 3 clerics or 2 enchanters. In fact, my best experience was being in a group with all casters. We had some major DPS going on also. Don't be scared to try new things. I hate when people say "DPS", tank, etc. It's supposed to be fun. You learn how to play your character really well when you're being challenged. Think outside the box.
    Friday and Son of a... like this.
  2. Epicus Journeyman

I see what you did there.
    Gemstones likes this.
  3. Gemstones Journeyman

4. Lateryn Augur

Going to be a server full of Mages, necros, druids and shm. Anyone who can solo well on their own.

People remember old EQ and no one liked LFG for hours and could barely solo a blue con as a melee.

Boxing at least let people duo or trio to let them play say a rogue/mnk/war/shd/clr and get stuff done on their own when they needed/wanted too.
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Boxing just allows people an unfair advantage against people who don't box, coming from a person that boxes up to 3 guys currently on Lockjaw.

Let one server have no boxing and let's see how it goes before the doomsday talk comes into effect.
    Friday, liveitup1216 and Fallfyres like this.
  6. Fallfyres Augur

-----------
    If soloing is one's favorite playstyle - WHY WOULD A NEW SERVER WITH THE RULESETS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT APPEAL TO THEM THE MOST??

More choice is better usually; but this server is set to be all about limited or no boxing -- and I think that translates directly to grouping up with like-minded players. Will there be some soloing? Of course, but why would you think it will be a server full of only those who are considered the favorites for soloing? o-0.
  7. Son of a... Augur

^^^THIS ^^^
    How F****** Up mentally, emotionally, and how shallow does the maturity level of a person have to be?
    How much mental and emotional scaring had to take place from years of abuse as a child or child-like adult from family members and the community at large? How much scorn from being a social outcast did someone have to take; molding them into the person they are today, and with all these servers available, that they would deliberately 'infiltrate' a no-box server, so they could box multiple toons??? This would be the most toxic person. Hands down, no competition.

The worst? No, not the worst. Far from the worst. The people who use 3rd party software that either allows the control of armies or bypass game mechanics are the worst. What you are saying is that Al Capone was a great guy....cuz he gave back to his community. So anyone who is mad at Al are the worst.

The idea of a no box server is great, but in reality, there is also the hack software. You have to have the ability to do away with both, and they can't. It's a pipe dream.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  8. Son of a... Augur

Come one now....you press CH and then you have to press SIT. Don't sell the class short.
  9. Terethian Elder

...I like being a cleric. It was my first class and I really like the feeling from being the good guy that holds things together and saves the day....
    Friday likes this.
  10. Jaxarale01 Augur

If you are clicking sit... you are doing it wrong... /sit should be part of your 1 button macro...
    Friday and Son of a... like this.
  11. Son of a... Augur

Well, there is your problem. If you incorporate the 'sit' into a macro, of course you're going to be bored still. duh :)
  12. Fallfyres Augur

--------
    Heh don't be offended Terethian...I'm glad there are players who love the gameplay of healing and being support.

MANY people enjoy being the supporting classes, knowing your 'supposedly boring hotkey lineup' is only boring to the people who DON'T have any interest in being a team support type player. Also, very often it comes from those who double down on their odds by carting around a box or two with their mercs, thinking they are the shizz on all the classes just because they can put one on autofollow and abuse its buff buttons.
  13. Epicus Journeyman

I could be wrong, but I think a good portion of the players that would jump ship to this server would be ones that don't want to "get stuff done on their own".

Let me play devil's advocate to your theory of necromancers, mages and permanent LFG status. People may never have to even use the LFG tool, because the very essence of the server will promote very large and tight knit guilds. You may log in and instantly have a guild group. If you're a warrior, you may likely have tells incoming before your screen loads. If you're social and behave yourself you may even find your name on other people's friends list.

This server has an opportunity to recapture what has long been lost. It won't be for everyone, but there are several other servers you can play with yourself on.

I personally think that there are two issues at play here.

1) People that rely on the sheep to feed them Krono may have to find another source. (pending more details on how the server will actually work)
    2) People are realizing that boxing on servers with nothing but other boxers loses its appeal.

If these 2 issues don't exist, then I have no idea why people are on propaganda campaigns.
    Friday and Fallfyres like this.
  14. code-zero Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ngs-prison-server-please.226090/#post-3313740
  15. Epicus Journeyman

16. Shmef Augur

definitely, i am hoping that they add more to it than just 1 client per device. the server needs to be structured in a way to give the players that want this exactly what they are asking for. i would very much like this server to be a success. i am pro boxing but i am also for people having a choice to be happy where they play. options are rarely a bad thing. it is a good thing to expand the discussions of this server so people can better understand what exactly it will take to get to a point that would make them happy, and to relay that information to daybreak early on.

i think that not allowing [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] would be a good thing for the server.
  17. Zodiacrat0222 New Member

I don't know how many of you remember EQ when it released but I was actually there, and this statement is exactly what original EQ was all about.
    It was designed to be a social game. People didn't always have the perfect group make-up so they got creative with what they had and just enjoyed playing the game. Socializing and having a good time was more important than racing to the finish line with the best gear.
    Advance this 16 years by having spell improvements, stat improvements, newbie area improvements, a nice cash shop to get fluff items just for kicks and you've got a great game on your hands that many people will come to.
    There are plenty of other servers to choose from for the boxing environment, I think it would be a worthwhile investment for DBG to give this one a try and see what happens. There is plenty of evidence out there to support an investment of this type and they have little to lose by trying.

Now, I myself am not an advocate of absolutely banning boxing. While I prefer a no boxing experience, I completely understand the value it can bring, but it has to be regulated or it's Ragefire/Lockjaw all over again.
    Limiting boxing to 2 instances of the EQ client software per computer is a great idea.
    An even better idea is limiting boxing to any number of EQ clients running from the same IP segment, BUT forcing it to only run on one MAC address per client. Also, adding a software agent to the EQ client software to periodically report the executable files running on the client computers would kill 3rd-party software from cheating or automating; essentially "fixing" the mage/wizard/monk or whatever armies from even functioning.

My idea to code this would look like this:

One household logs in an EQ client from one parent address.
    If they want to box, that's fine, but the server requires a unique MAC address (the address from the network card on the computer) from the same IP segment to run another EQ client software program.
    The EQ Agent program on the players computer reports to the EQ server once every 10 minutes. If any illegal 3rd-party software executable is running on the client computer, they get immediately disconnected from the server....each and every time it happens.

This would essentially kill botting and software cheating because it would make it extremely difficult to circumvent and would not be worth that persons time.
    The new Winter Sever would be full of the people that actually want to play there with the rules set as they are, and anyone else who prefers a different EQ experience has plenty of other servers to choose from.

That's my opinion anyway. Take it however you like, but I think this is totally doable.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  18. Tudadar Augur

Its kinda funny that lots of people think its no boxing allowed at all and lots of people think its one instance per computer. These are VERY different options. So far its been called nobox yet stated possible one account per computer which is very weird. I dont think the final decision will come for a few more months.

That said lots of people that think it will be pure are wrong imo. Its nice to think about it but its very unlikely to be executed properly.
  19. liveitup1216 Augur

I think the confusion stems from DBG calling it specifically a "no botting/boxing" server. One of their proposed means of enforcement was limiting clients to 1 pc so that families can still play. Yes these are very different means, but they said specifically no boxing and that further measures are being taken, not JUST 1pc per client.
  20. Eqplayer1999 Elder

this server cant come fast enough, hate how many times i got camps stolen from me by 6 mage groups, i left ragefire because of box/bots . even if most of you think it will fail, i will enjoy my time on it till it does
    Fallfyres and Friday like this.