Ragefire Exceeded Expectations - What Now?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koschei Journeyman

I advocate a system whereby conventional methods for automation are not supported, greatly reducing the amount of players who feel the need to engage in combat with 6 times as much power as a player of one character. What that system is, I don't know, the upshot is that it would render the control of multiple characters by one person ineffective.

Whenever anyone talks about costs, they need to back that up with figures or some sort of calculation, or it can't be taken seriously, it's guesswork on your part. There may be more players who enjoy a fairer shot an experiencing the progression and sub for longer, neither you or I have no way of measuring that.

It's not 1999 any longer and I think the resurgence of both old players and new players is just what this franchise needed, to challenge the accepted norms from those who got a little too comfortable playing the games on their own terms and marginalizing content. It's really refreshing to see people step up and say, "That might used to happen in the good old days, but if I'm going to play this game, invest my money and time to participate in the community, I would like the people who run this game to realize I don't think that I like people who get six times the power due to boxing to compete or play with me.". I said the word 'like' here, stating a preference.

I see references to whining or crying, but clearly stating ones position is important, just as is voting on servers is also important. While we have different views, I respect what you are saying, but I'd like to strongly present a case on behalf for those who feel a little disenfranchised with the way that automated play has impacted their experience on Ragefire.

P99 is a straw man, I (and many others) don't have a copy of the game require to play it, and there is a far lower barrier to entry here. I would like DBG to give us a more measured experience with Lockjaw and give those who would like a one player/one character experience to enjoy the game as much as those who automate gameplay on other servers.
  2. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

This right here. I still fail to see why when we roll out 2 servers at a time (we all knew from day 1 they would) why can't we roll out 2 DIFFERENT servers?

Give us a 6 month release server AND a 3 month release server.
  3. Steampunk Augur

Enthusiastically supported! For whatever my support is worth, of course....
  4. Koschei Journeyman

You edited your response and added the footnote above, but I wanted to give a full account in rebuttal, so my additional comment.

You are absolutely at liberty to play each account individually, no one is stopping you, you will be granted ALL ACCESS, however I am stating my preference that I think pressing one key to fire off six spells at once is only fun for the person doing it, not for others who have to struggle to obtain the same level of success. Hanging your entire argument on this one phrase does you absolutely no favors and you know what, I want to challenge the stale, narrow minded thinking exhibited in these parts and say on behalf of new players and those returning to the game that just because it happened before, don't expect it to continue to happen in future. Nothing is set in stone, for that experience, may I direct you back to the aforementioned P99 experience.
    complexication likes this.
  5. Goodnews Augur

Please dismiss the big man talk. This is the internet. Give yourself some more class and intellect than that. We disagree. You have stated your opinions and I have mine. Clearly you feel 1 server in EIGHTEEN is asking too much. Have a blessed day.
    complexication and Stormrider like this.
  6. Maginus Lorekeeper

Ok since you want all access well that means you should be able to use dev/gm commands...no? well why not your paying for all access....cause it's against their rules? You don't say.....same argumentyour using against me on this subject. Hey if it's in the game you should have access right.......might want to rethink your position
    O_Castitatis_Lilium likes this.
  7. Stormrider New Member

That would make a great difference for Lockjaw. My early memories of EQ do include boxers. I didn't, I didn't have the computer or the connection for it. I don't have a problem with it, and I'm one of the people boxing on Ragefire. I prefer not to box, but it's nice to have that extra round of characters for buffs or just something different to do. You get to play more classes, different combinations of race and class and it's a good way to learn the strenghts and benefits of other classes with more than one account. Btw, if you're not getting a group it may not because people are boxing. More than a few of the people I know personally who are upset about other people boxing and them not getting groups are just plain not group players. They never attempt to make a group; if they get invited into a group they take over and do things their way and ignore the people that were there originally. People that over-box, i.e. those that make up a whole group or raid, tend not to play well with others either and just don't group regardless.

What really annoys me about Ragefire is the Marketplace commodities that make it even more pay to win. Bags are one thing, experience potions another. Loyalty, veteran and expansion claims are disabled, but by golly, you can buy the benefits you didn't earn to get ahead. Familiar/metamorphs are showing up on Ragefire, but the one I saw last night looked like one of the LoN.
    Melanippe likes this.
  8. Vaclav Augur

Of which it's only the top 10% that are out of the newbie areas that are instanced right now - the problems are just STARTING for the majority that are beginning to outlevel the instanced newbie yards you do realize, right?

What level do you think most people would be right now if all 900+ people were in Commonlands, 500+ in Greater Faydark, 300+ in Butcherblock, 150+ in Tox for Christ's sake?

You've got blinders on, bro.

(Besides the instancing you're so worried about was done the same way in EQ2 - a game no one has ever complained lacked community - this is not remotely WoW style instancing - that starts with LDoN)
  9. Koschei Journeyman

I think that's the same argument that 'anti boxing' crowd are using! The ultimate pay to win is having six time the power in the Everquest world by boxing efficiently. You earn rewards through beating content, but it's often overlooked for effectively socializing with others. With boxing, that's gone out the window and so you compete just based on the number of accounts you have = pay to win unfortunately.

I'm more fussed about that than someones weapon looking a little different.
    Kasuka likes this.
  10. Maginus Lorekeeper

The thing is though...he's wont lose his boxing....that's the part that boggles me. He can still be on the progression server ie ragefire and keep boxing but for some ungodly reason the second identical progression server just can't be a no boxing server....only reason I can fathom he wants this is so he can farm both servers and do god knows what with the loot/plat
  11. Eskey Journeyman

EXACTLY
    Maginus likes this.
  12. Eskey Journeyman

It's not like the people arguing for a no boxing server are trying to take anything away from you... They are simply asking to be allowed to avoid you.

In my mind the people arguing against this are simply doing so out of the mind set of "If there is a server without boxing how will I get a thrill out of ruining their experience. I should have the freedom to ruin anyone's experience I want since I pay a subscription to."
  13. Rotlust Augur

Going to throw my hat in. Please make lockjaw a no box server. I will start all over again to join that server.

Boxers can have there server we can have ours.
  14. Kahna Augur

I have heard the devs respond to a lot of the problems that Ragefire has had. We complained about the max capacity, they stated they were looking into it. We complained about no queue and they stated they would look into it. We complained about queue times and they said they would look into it. There has been a lot of complaining about boxing, but the devs have yet to state they will look into it. I don't think they see it as a problem. I wouldn't hold your breath on the issue.

And have you considered what happens 2 or 3 years from now on your no boxing server when the population falls to a point where boxes would normally fill in the gaps in player population? It's not going to stay this full.
  15. Chanur Lorekeeper

The servers have to be the same rule set you muppets. If not they will not be merged and one will be dead.
  16. Jada Rush New Member

My biggest problem with making the new server a single IP address server is that my significant other and I play together.

I believe that boxing is one of the biggest issues on Ragefire. Even if you were to allow for free transfers to Lockjaw, that's not going to solve the overcrowding issues of Ragefire. You'll just get more boxing to fill up the empty space from the users transferring to Lockjaw.

I'm all for a one IP only server if there's a way to make an exception for people that genuinely play together.

It would also be really nice if there was some visual aspect to the queue. Like, maybe give us a number that changes as we go forward in the queue or something. I keep finding myself wondering "Do I have enough time to get a snack, or do I have enough time to make an entire meal?" Having a good idea how long the queue will be would be really nice.
  17. Maginus Lorekeeper

Who's holding their breath, not me I'm using my breath to voice my opinion, as for the low pop issue you bring up I would do 1 of 3 things, 1. transfer to a new server, 2. start over on a new server, or 3. play something else cause I will more than likely be bored out of my mind from playing the same old game for that freaking long straight.
  18. Kasuka Lorekeeper

Precisely. I can see allowing 2, but any more and we run into problems. Honestly I'm half expecting some of them to purchase 6 more accounts so they can grief both servers.
  19. Chanur Lorekeeper

One guild is always going to monopolize raid targets unless others compete. You cannot compete at launch and "take your time". Complaining about TL downing raid targets is honestly laughable.
  20. Kahna Augur

So your answer is, let the server die.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.