Progression Server Poll Results: What's Next?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaneras Augur

I just don't understand the whole "need for progression". If there was intriguing and challenging content, and meaningful character progression, there would be no need to rush to the next expansion. There should be more for players to do, so that when the 6 months are up they hardly even notice Kunark is about to open.

Players should need to achieve specific titles or accomplishments within their home city or zones before they can even move past level 10 or so. Make them work for it, set specific goals.

All that's going to happen is many players are going to power their way to 50 in one week, then take a long hiatus until Kunark opens, and rinse/repeat the same cycle with Velious.

There must be a transition from level-based accomplishment to content-based accomplishment in order to keep people interested.
    Arderd and Crowd and Arkk like this.
  2. Venk New Member

normal speed and stop at POP, my dream Everquest experience
    Cloudous, YellowBelly, Hicyn and 4 others like this.
  3. Arkk Lorekeeper

I doubt they care so much. If they did, why wouldn't they send the vote to all email addresses of those who ever had subscriptions on EQ, instead of limiting it to those who currently play on other servers? They are really only listening to the voices of those who are happy with the current game, the few who post on these boards, or those on social media who liked the EQ page--and we should not be their sole target audience.

The voices of everyone who quit that would come back in a heartbeat for a classic server would create a more accurate picture, but then they couldn't put another 4-5 year band-aid on the demand with a progression option that will inevitably falter after the classic feel is made obsolete by quick progression.

Quick progression has been done twice, and can be done even quicker on a normal server--why repeat the same mistakes? Slowest progression is the closest step in the right direction; but as so many have been pointing out on this thread, it still catches up to later content, leaves behind population, and more and more quit when they get tired of the game being stretched thin with few others to keep them interested.
    Cloudous and Zoggzog like this.
  4. Dalinsia New Member

I agree stop at Velious with classic rules and nothing more past that! Then I think I would come back
    YellowBelly, Hicyn, Haless and 4 others like this.
  5. Arkk Lorekeeper

This would be a dream come true. Rebuilding new content from the foundations laid in classic.

I think they should put as much effort into adding era appropriate content to the early expansions: provide /Achievement goals, new raid encounters, events (or even just bring back and update the old, pre-existing events), and, dare I say, a new zone or two in each expansion that could be earned through completing Hunter and/or class specific challenges of that expansion's endgame--even if they were just instanced tasks similar to HA or LDoNs in the pre-existing zone layouts. They have all the tough work done.

This would keep players on the server, ease up the congestion in the highest level exp zones, and definitely bring people back into each newly released expansion so they can achieve and see something they never got to before. An extra Qeynos badge, tougher quests to upgrade the Sol Ro class specific gear, and maybe a greater variety of tradeskill quests and items--all of that would make original EQ more worthwhile for everyone.

And, on the backend, update the achievements on all current servers as you add them on to this server, and we will have something more than zoning achievements under those old tabs.
    Alaklin, Zoggzog and Venk like this.
  6. 11bangbang New Member

YES! someone gets it.
    MBear, Cloudous, Hicyn and 4 others like this.
  7. Zoggzog Elder

8. DefenseEQ Augur

Nolrog and Soltara like this.
  9. Alaklin Journeyman

Yes, that seemed like it was the intention when the first progression round started back in 2006, since they put up the progression tree; however, that was just to note the server's progress, as if anyone outside of those guilds were interested or cheering them on. Instead, it was like watching the game they loved being exploited and ruined on a leader board. And we know the result.

If they made all guilds have to accomplish certain raids, and classes to accomplish certain tasks to progress to each of the next expansions, people could have fun playing at their own pace with like minded players. And I'm not suggesting to make individuals have to flag through raiding like PoP introduced, but the guild itself. Players could have missions instead, where it wouldn't take more than a group effort to get them through.

I can't speak from the point of the developers, but all of these tools exist in the current game, so it shouldn't be that much extra to implement, right?
    Arkk likes this.
  10. Alaklin Journeyman

100% /agree.
    I've been wanting tasks to be added to all of those old expansions (to play as an alt or even my main) since they added the tabs. It's been a tease, and this seems like a great, relevant reason to finally add it in to the game.
    Zoggzog and Arkk like this.
  11. Alaklin Journeyman

I don't think it would kill the server--it might kill the race. The race, however, seems to be what killed the progression servers both times.
    Zoggzog and YellowBelly like this.
  12. Alaklin Journeyman

That's due to them purposefully splitting the vote with all of those options at once. Polls shouldn't have so many similar options and expect they are getting exactly what people want, since I would have voted for slow progression or locked forever, and many others felt similarly.
  13. Alaklin Journeyman

I tend to skip posts this long, but I'm glad I read through it. I and many others who stopped playing long ago, and keep coming back or hanging on out of loyalty as well, say the same things in our discussions, and sadly, so many won't come back for this version of progression because it inevitably progresses past a point they care for and they just become reminded of why they quit.

I hope the developers are paying attention to all of this input, as so many people here are voicing the same sentiment of those who don't have the game downloaded anymore, don't pay attention to EQ social media, and wouldn't spend any time reading and posting on these boards. Those are all old and potential renewed subscribers that we should be aiming to bring back.
    Cloudous, Rhoulicas, Zoggzog and 3 others like this.
  14. MMOer Augur

Classic player here. Played both progression servers. Here is my two cents.

The longer the expansions take the more money they will get from me. Period.
    I will have a minimum of two accounts running. Assuming they charge that's 20-30 per month. Plus I am more willing to invest in goofy from the market such as animated graphics that twirl around my character and such if I plan to be around for a long time (ie years)

My ideal would be regular time for expansions, locked at PoP with no bizarre/AH implemented.
    Cloudous, Zoggzog, Arkk and 1 other person like this.
  15. MMOer Augur

I'm not DL'in the client just to vote... if they really wanted a true representation they would send me an email being I was a previous player and ask my opinion. This voting in game stuff does not represent the player base that would even be interested in progressions. This is where they went wrong last two times as well.

Pretty stupid if you think about it really.
    Cloudous, Zoggzog and Arkk like this.
  16. Soulsavior Elder

Name ? for server ... HOW about : Daybreak
  17. Soulsavior Elder

OW and soooooon it will be time for a new PVP server right ?
  18. Souleach Journeyman

I myself would love to play in the classic style with 6 - 8 months in each expansion and lock it at PoP
    No Mecs
    No Auction House
    No AA
    No LFG finders
    No Maps
    No Mounts
    Have to look at your spell book until you reach a certain level.
    No Quick Travel ( Unless you are a Druid or Wizard )
    Classic zones not the upgraded stuff that is out there now.

I miss the old days of sitting in EC tunnel selling my wares chatting with people and meeting the community. Back when your reputation meant something. If you were a and just all around bad person you had problems getting groups or a guild. Camping Raster in Guk for my monk epic for 6 straight days alt times with a friend so we could each get what we needed. The line to wait in Najena to get Journeyman Boots. The line to get on the list to get into a FG group for a FBSS. I just really miss that old classic feeling and want that back I don't know if it is even really possible but I have hopes it is.

This would be my hopes for a progression server.
    Cloudous, Venk, Zoggzog and 2 others like this.
  19. Darth Augur

You don't want 6 months of classic.

You think you do, but you don't.

The last Progression server had 3 months of classic, population on Vulak tanked during this time. Entire guilds quit, the raid scene became a toxic mess of cheating and exploiting and petitionquest.

Anything more than 3 months is going to cause the same toxic experience.
  20. Rhoulicas Augur

This is how feel as well.
    However, I am a bit disappointed on the vote turn out, but I am not surprised. You won't be getting many back for a non locked server. Why not make one? One that is locked at LDON or DODh. Just based on economics, a locked server is going to be a hit. Why are we going to do the same old TLP server thing all over again? Consider a locked server, please.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.