Relaxed truebox - if you're against it... why?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rapala, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Okay, I misspoke but that doesn't change that the "correction" was wrong. I said earlier in this thread that it was limited to 2 characters per player.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

The waves of suspensions last year were all M Q users. It was done the day before all 3 raid tier launches, then ~4-5 other times after that. The suspensions revolving around breaking Aradune's ironclad system were petition based AND said petitions were being weaponized (as they do every TLP).
  3. FranktheBank Augur

I was incorrect, my bad. My being incorrect still doesn't absolve you of being wrong. It's clearly not a no-box server and your last line is just you regurgitating what you said previously, which I already said is a terrible line of thinking.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As I said I misspoke but the point remains is that people played above the limit on that server even though there was a server with no limitations introduced at the same time. Just because they do a server with no limits doesn't mean it will solve the issue on the other server.
  5. Captain Video Augur

So what if it was weaponized? The players who were suspended were observed cheating, with video evidence, and DPG verified it. My point is, there was never any honor system. As an industry, we've known for many years that honor systems don't work in any large, commercial online games. Just look at the latest scandal FFXIV is dealing with, and that's just one recent example off the top of my head.

I predict we will eventually see a wider application of the relaxed truebox rule. We will never see that rule in effect in the Classic-PoP era; there are too many bad actors.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

I see the problem. You read the first sentence of my post and had trouble getting to the rest. Here it is, as a reminder, why your argument is bad.

Second, please stop with the same bad argument. This is exactly that same as your failed "people will complain" arc from last thread. You are literally the definition of letting "perfect be the enemy of good".

Did any boxers that wouldn't have otherwise played, choose to play because Rizlona was an option? Did Aradune end up with less boxers than a normal TLP, because there was Rizlona as an option?

You and I do not have the answers to these questions. I can guess the answer to the first one, based on some anecdotal evidence, but we don't know for sure. So again, because you and I are both ignorant of the truth, stop trying to pass off your opinions and personal issues as facts.
    Appren and TheStugots like this.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

If you actually believe this... you are beyond help lol. There are entire groups of people that will report bomb a person or person. There is so little oversight with the suspensions, it's actually crazy that you believe this.
    Appren and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am just pointing out the simple fact that creating a TLP server with no boxing restrictions won't stop players from violating the boxing restrictions on the other servers. Sure there are people who will move to the server without boxing restrictions but just creating that as a server won't solve the issues that players see with boxing limits being broken on the server.

Yes, they can create a set of servers like this and yes some will follow the rules and move to the correct server. However that doesn't mean that a setup like this is going to be some sort of magical fix for all the problems people have been complaining about.
  9. Captain Video Augur

You have no knowledge of how many players were suspended, for what reason(s) or on what evidence. Everything you say on this subject is anecdotal and rumor-mongering. I think it's crazy to so quickly distrust the company employees who are tasked with handling these matters, in the same breath that you and others of your perspective demand they make changes to suit your personal preferences. It's called biting the hand that feeds you.
  10. FranktheBank Augur

I do not need to know how many players were suspended, I know of two that were suspended and one that received a warning. The last listed was mass reported for 6 boxing druids.

What's weird is your perception that I made a demand? Where do you see this?

If it makes you feel secure to live in a bubble where Darkpaw CS does due diligence, go for it, I don't care. It doesn't effect me, it's just you choosing to put blinders on.

Here is a list of things I have either done OR had done to me OR had a close friend do
    • Trained, petitioned the trainer, trainer suspended, mass report the victim, victim suspended (all in ~1 hour)
    • Trained someone, ran to zone line, recorded them running the train over me, victim suspended
    • Mass reported someone for afk boxing and/or cheating to reduce camp competition, suspended.
    • Used the same video to report the same person twice, a month apart (suspended both times)
    All of those ended with the victim being suspended. Hell, there is even an infamous ticket from Selo about a bugged Ikkinz trial during GoD launch. The reply was that "the content was in Gates of Discord which was not released yet."
    I hope that CS improves and weaponizing petitions do not become more commonplace. Until then, I will continue sticking to exping far away from people and recording myself as a defense.
    Appren likes this.
  11. Delacroix Journeyman

Hehehe I remember that "unreleased content" reply. I thought the GMs were a bit better on the last TLP at least through June but from talking to a couple I don't think they are paying that much attention to watching the box camp spots a lot.
  12. Crackers Augur

Their customer service policies have been atrocious for years. It's not that expensive to employ GMs, nor is it unrealistic to have those GMs manage a guide program where players can assist in the policing of the servers. Yes these are cost centers to the business, not profit centers.

I'm always amazed that they don't see the value driven by happy customers. How many players quit the servers early over being trampled on by the jackholes of the server?
    Zrender likes this.
  13. Hdizzle Augur

Relaxed truebox makes me want to play Eq more.
    Rapala and Go Take A Nap like this.
  14. Trevalon Augur

I think that truebox is very important for the early expansions. Having lived through the days of non-truebox it was seriously a nightmare.

Not that Truebox necessarily stops the mass boxers, they will always be there. But it DOES limit EVERYONE from doing it. Ragefire/Lockjaw were literally cesspools where if you werent boxing at LEAST 3-5 you just were not doing anything. Everyone was 6 boxing and it was stupid.

That being said, OOW+ this game starts to change, and I do so the value of relaxing truebox after that. 3 would be sufficient, then maybe take away all Truebox at TSS or maybe SoD.
    Zrender likes this.
  15. MaestroM Augur

I just don't like box armies. Truebox doesn't seem like it fixes it though. I thought it would reduce boxing but I'm not sure there's been much evidence of that.

If there was a solution to boxing such that they could get it down to *insert name of private server here* levels of 1 person 1 toon while population is high, I would support it though. At the same time, and somewhat inconsistently, I don't think an "all bets are off" approach like Ragefire would be preferable either.

I do think that as expansions go on and server population drops, boxing becomes less of an issue for me and any rules limiting boxing should be relaxed, particularly as the server moves into more instanced content.
    Zrender likes this.
  16. liveitup1216 Augur

Every time there is a stricter box server and a more relaxed box server, they all just play the stricter box because that's where the advantage comes in over other people. Boxers won't play on a relaxed server because there's nobody to lord it over or make krono off. This has always been a debate since Phinigel, and the result is always the same.

Boxers bring in money for Daybreak at the expense of the server.
    Zrender likes this.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

You're conflating all boxers into 1 group. The ones who run groups/raids for profit (pl services, loot rights, etc) flock to the restrictive server because that's where their clientele is. If people could collectively stop using their services they'd go away. The ones who just wanted to play a couple of characters on a single pc went to Rizlona which going by eq resources stats continues to bring in more money for dbg per month than its restrictive sister.
  18. liveitup1216 Augur

Nope, no conflating. Any boxing to any degree or purpose is paying money to have an advantage by using multiple characters. If you make two servers with the box rules being the only difference, they'll still play on the more restricted one because they are paying for that advantage on purpose. If there's nobody to have an advantage over, they won't go there.
  19. Arclyte Augur

Yea, those people really showed who they are when aradune / rizlona launched.

Seeing people run a box army on Aradune while they had an equivalent boxing server to play on really soured me on boxing.
    Zrender likes this.
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

So how do you explain Rizlona then if all the boxers went to Aradune for their advantage? Did you even read what I posted that you replied to?
    Appren likes this.