WTS taking over General Chat

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sheebea, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

Can the ignore list be edited by hand? I can see how the UI might set a limit, but can I manually edit the .ini file and keep adding people?

If you've been playing a character a long time, it's not unusual to have a long ignore list of people who talk about OOC stuff like politics, song lyrics, crypto, global economics, religion, etc. It's not that they necessarily fill the /general with that stuff all the time. It's more that I'll ignore them pretty much as soon as I see them talking about it. I'm not going to keep track of how often a person does it. Once I see someone going on about something like politics in /general, they get added to ignore.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Every game with global chat channels already sees all chat and auctions consolidate to one channel.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Doesn't mean they shouldn't add in an auction channel.
  4. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

No need, EQ general chat doesn’t see enough traffic and everyone is just going to utilize a single channel.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That depends on the server, on some it sees a lot which is why people have asked for this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

You could make your own channel then advertise for people to join it. If people think its a good idea they will put it on /autojoin auction:mypw
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What is your issue with them adding another channel that you will never go to? There are people that are annoyed enough by the large amount of WTS spam in those channels that they decided to make a post. The number gets large enough that you can't get them all on your ignore list. A solution that has been suggested is to use the same code that creates all the general channels and spin it off for auction. This would allow any interested person to join the channel on any server without first having to track down the password. It is something that should take little work and have zero impact on you.
  8. birdsong_pawn Augur

If they add an auction channel, then the sellers will just send their spam to both \general and \auction.

"I mean, that's what I would do." -- Strong Bad
    Warpeace and CatsPaws like this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

[IMG]

Can't believe no one realized this till now. Good job bird
  10. Warpeace Augur

Thay already do this with additional channels that spawn for General chat...when it works.:p
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

TBH a large part was your post saying they could "take action" against anyone that didnt do it your way.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't see why this means an auction channel shouldn't be added, sellers spamming multiple channels wouldn't start if they added an auction channel and already happens.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You should actually say what your problem is instead of just complaining about it. My idea for that was only for the people spamming the channel instead of using the auction channel. Regardless of having an auction channel or not if someone is sending enough messages to be considered spamming something should be done.

And as the statement you quoted I said might be able to not suggesting that anything would happen.
  14. Treiln Augur

They 100% would though. You need to be able to reach the largest market possible. Limiting yourselves to those who are only in /auction wouldn’t be a big enough market, so they’d dip into General as well.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not only does this already happen today without an auction channel but you would have players that would only look to sell/buy in the auction channel. I don't see why an existing issue should be considered for not doing something.
  16. Treiln Augur

Because it already exists. And adding an additional channel wouldn’t fix the issue. It would just create more spam across more channels. It’s like having 9 stalls for 5 horses. Building a 10th stall wouldn’t do anything
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Gonna have to call out the posters who are saying their ignore list is filled.

I just went thru a very large guild on my server and added over 120 names to the ignore.

If someone has more names than that on ignore just from the WTS in general then you should shut down that chat window and/or find another server.

Gotta go delete those names now:cool:
  18. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Give us billboards.

In zones we roams.
    In zones with homes.

On pails.
    On sails.

Along roads they pave.
    In places we cave.

In divides.
    On hillsides.

On dungeon walls.
    On dragon's...wings.
  19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

There used to be a bulletin board feature in original EQ. I remember the one in High Keep.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It could help reduce the spam as some would move over to the other channel not to mention if you have an auction channel Daybreak could establish rules about spamming other channels with messages trying to sell or buy something. Just because it isn't a perfect fix doesn't mean they shouldn't try it.