Please rethink this new TLP Daybreak Team...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vicious EQ, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

First to level 1 wins the game. Killing mobs rewards negative exp. Dying rewards exp.
    Dexar and minimind like this.
  2. Crabman Augur

If we are going to compare this to Miragul, then this type of server should be a one off that opens in October, not as the main tlp of the year.
  3. Piznut Angry Gnome

I mean the OP is one of the most well known RMT people in the EQ community. He can't farm Krono on new TLP's if it goes to GoD first, which is the basic premise for this thread.
    Xhartor, Kalipto, Fenthen and 3 others like this.
  4. Pappasalt Augur

Will someone please think of muh sheckles!
  5. Rcbauer Augur

krono farmers be mad.

NECKBEARDS ARE BEING TORN!!
  6. Vicious EQ Elder

Say what you want lemmings!

Level locked GoD is coming....everyone get your perks ready so we can all stop from de-leveling as we bind rush everything for the first month at level 30-50 before the server is caught up to Mischief / Thornblade.

Then once we get caught up we will be without our decked characters we already have in that era on last years server on a far inferior ruleset.

TLP 2022, where everyone will want to play for a month for the meme's, then crawl back to Random Loot for one more year hoping TLP 2023 isn't as weird.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

As if a million krono cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
    Rcbauer and Fenthen like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

9. Vicious EQ Elder

10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Perhaps as a starting point, I would expect to see it have significant changes anyway because the devs usually enjoy having their own input / spin on stuff or disagree with parts of the concept, even if players have ideas they do end up trying.

The LLP idea definitely predates mine by at least several years, though it was barely fleshed-out at all by most who have suggested it before but once you give it some thought it has a lot of interesting potential.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Indulge me, what is LLP?
  12. Pappasalt Augur

I have no skin in the game really, i dont krono farm like OP and unless its a fast progression server...which weve seen one of...i dont intend on leaving the free trade anytime soon.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  13. Gnothappening Augur

Ah yes Miragul, the pinnacle of TLP success. Honestly though, if they release this and a Phinny clone at the same time it would be fine. They could go ahead and make the Gates one pvp too, since it would be DOA anyways, might as well kill two birds with one stone.
  14. a_librarian Augur

I can't imagine them not doing a phinny clone along with whatever gimmick of the year server. Don't panic
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Level Locked Progression.

You can do this in 3 ways

1. You can have every single expansion open from the very start, enabling all race/class/combinations of the live game to be used from the beginning and the "unlock / progression" is simply where no players can advance beyond the stated level cap at each point in time.
    So you would spend X weeks at X level cap - and have all of the content open, zones, etc.

In terms of game-balance, things such as defiant gear could be level-locked to where the expansion lock previously made sense, in this case Level 75 unlocking would enable defiant gear dropping on the server.
    Mercs would not be available until level 80 unlocks (to keep them in line with releasing with SoD)
    Things like the all/all Dark Elf mask would stop dropping as they do on standard TLP after the same number of weeks pass as they always have before.
    MoTM would also be removed based on level unlocks to roughly match how they operate on expansion-based TLP unlocks.
    The tutorial zone would be available once level 65 is unlocked (assuming a equivalent classic start LLP cap of level 50 or less to begin with)

This is my preferred system

2. You have an LLP EDIT: ELP (Era Locked Progression) server that also unlocks expansions, this does not allow all races / classes / combinations at the start but what instead happens is that expansions unlock in level brackets, so all expansions that have a cap of 65 would release together, all those with a cap of 70 would release together.

I'm not a fan of that approach at all, defeats most of the potential fun to be had.

3. A Hybrid of the above two or a hybrid of LLP & conventional Standard TLP - such as the in the linked post I had an LLP-start up to 65 before reverting something close to a Standard TLP (with changes in the 70 era).
    code-zero and Doranur_Aleguzzler like this.
  16. coltongrundy Augur

House of Thule is the exact very thing as Gates of Discord. Got it. Thanks for the info.
  17. wade_watts Augur

This is a good point. If they were going to do level-lock progression server and release w/ up to GoD open at launch it might make sense that they are planning to do it with a mischief ruleset since they would have had the mischief loot rules tuned out to GoD only by that point.

Maybe the rumors aren't so wrong. I'd actually play on that one.
  18. Triconix Augur

Oddly, I think the era-locked style is more interesting to me and seems to fit the overall idea of a "time-locked" server. Most people view the timeline of EQ in terms of these naturally made eras already so it fits well. You still get the natural progression of EQ without needing to account for and develop special code for unlocking things scattered throughout the history of EQ (defiant, UI changes, QOL changes, mercs, zone revamps, etc).

Your former idea of straight level locking doesn't seem to fit the premise of "time-locked." I don't associate any period of time to locking chars at level 20, 30, 40, etc. I just associate all those levels with classic. An era locked TLP already does a level lock to a lesser extent, but in a cleaner, more organic way.
  19. Arclyte Augur

I don't know where this rumor came from, but I wouldn't play on such a server. Neither would most of the people I know.

This would be good for Mischief/TB indirectly, though.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah some players will feel more comfortable perhaps with ELP as it is closer to what they are already familiar with.

The reason I like the more open type LLP concept is purely because players will have the option of playing the class they are most fond of right from the outset, on anything that is not open LLP or GoD-Start nobody can play berserkers until GoD unlocks and the devs have been quite insistent upon tying races, classes & combinations of such to the expansions they were originally released with, despite a lot of movement with "systems" being rearwards unlocked for QoL reasons.

Also I think part of the attraction of the more open LLP is precisely because it departs from that expansion locked formula so much, want to go hit soem harder content with your below era level raid squad? You can do that with this ruleset, the only one that would offer a chance to see how much the envelope can be pushed by players when equipped with knowledge, and the power-creep of the earlier game.
    It may even serve to inform the devs of some metrics about just how advanced that power creep has really become.