tol is a dissapointment

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by mblache, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Drop the mic.

/Thread.

I do think Lesson could use a slight boost (triple XP) for the honest people.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Lesson is useless for level XP in ToV+, even if you quadrupled it.

The hatred of Botters & automaters I totally understand, but that leaves very little place for returners & players who are not able to get groups as they are too far behind, is your botter/automater hatred so high it blinds you to the issue of genuine players not being able to access the progression system at the level it was designed for in order to get that good levelling XP, they can't get groups and they can't solo it so....not your problem?

What then is your solution to help them aside from your aforementioned free gear?
    How do you counterbalance the ToV+ massively inflated xp per level requirements for players who will not be able to solo the missions/group content when they get there?

What I am seeing from players who hate botters so far is understandable but they simply do not see a problem because that problem does not affect them personally perhaps?
    Wdor likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You have grossly misunderstood.

I mean nobody should be expected by the game to 3,4,5 or 6 box in order to make meaningful progress through ToV+ expansions after they become "Old content".

My personal preference is the Side-kick system, if that can be done then nothing else needs to change, the other things I suggested were if that cannot, or will not be done.
    I'm looking at the long-term health of the game here not just a couple of expansions in the rear-view mirror.
    Short-term thinking is what caused this problem.

I should stop caring really, like most others have.
    Wdor likes this.
  4. Tappin Augur

Here we go with BS afk botters poop. The majority AFK botters are not AFK for levels (plat farmers mostly), and the servers they cause the most problems on is TLP.
  5. Sup Rog Elder

I just think it's stupid to have to level clicking a little mini in-game game, instead of getting the satisfaction of gaining the levels by playing the game and killing things, like how it always was. I would get much more enjoyment from getting overseer rate exp killing mobs, than clicking a few boxes twice a day.
    Wdor, Treage_Imminent and Skuz like this.
  6. Lubianx Augur

I really don't get the complaining about XP by killing mobs instead of doing the quests and missions.

I remember how long it took me way back to get from 55 to 60, some of us remember level 59 and other hell levels, even without lesson. The XP per kill was very similar to what it is today, and there were 2 expansions per year compared to 1 now. The only difference now is that you can use the quests and missions to get a lot of XP, use Overseer or use collectibles in addition to the normal grinding

There is nothing stopping you from doing this. It will just take as long as it did years ago.

The only complaint that is worthwhile is that T1 gear should not be 120 rec
    Wdor, Szilent, Benito and 2 others like this.
  7. Vizier Augur

It's not JUST the exp, its the lack luster cut and paste items that offer no meaningful upgrades until the raid loot is unlocked. The tier 1 loot is downgrades from ToV. The tier 2 is barely an upgrade.

We are incentivized to log in, click overseers, log out then keep an on discord for Task Adds from your guild. This is how the game is played now, and it's not fun.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Gorg00 Augur

It took me around 30 hours plus an hour to run through the heros to grind to 120. Pretty close to one day.
  9. code-zero Augur

Oh you are very very wrong, I'll have my top two characters on my two main accounts at 120 soon enough by a combination of progression, overseer and some grinding and the part I will hate the worst is the grinding. On live there is a constant stream of f2p characters being leveled up from 1 but mostly automated grinding. What the motivation is I do not understand but I have known some of those guys and following a quest based leveling path is overly complicated for taking a character to max level
    Benito likes this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Unfortunately in todays EQ if you dont like doing missions Daybreak has issued a great big SUCK IT the last three expansions. Their position is clear, if you want to level you must do missions or play Overseer that has nothing to do with playing EQ as it has been for many years.
    Skuz and Velisaris_MS like this.
  11. sieger Augur

Except you can trivially grind to max level in current EQ, you are not forced to participate in Overseer, you are not forced to participate in the Mission / Partisan / Mercenary system. However, that does comprise a lot of content, abjectly refusing to do it makes me wonder if you're getting the full / best EQ experience--but that's your choice.

The false claim was made in ToV and is being made again in ToL--that people are "forced" to level a certain way, it just wasn't true in ToV and it isn't true now. You could grind to 115 when ToV launched and you can grind to 120 in ToL. Multiple people in my guild have ground to 120 already, more are doing so as we speak.

All I can guess is that people are just mad it "takes too long to grind", if that's what you don't like say that. Don't say false things like "if you want to level you must do missions or play Overseer."

And to the person who is saying they only have 30 minutes of XP time per day--okay, for almost none of EQ's history was that sufficient time to level quickly. Which, that's 100% fine, if you have such limited play time...you shouldn't expect to level quickly? Even much easier leveling games like modern day WoW, you do not get max level very quickly with 30 minutes a day of leveling, it would take weeks to months.

I think people simply got spoiled by the 100-105 and 105-110 curve, and have no real ability to put things in the broader context of EQ history. As a long time TLPer who only converted to live in March of 2021, I did all the leveling from Classic to now in monthly increments on Selo from March 2019 until March 2021. I'm sorry but ToL isn't even that bad of a grind. Try grinding 50-60 on any TLP, it takes about the same amount of time as it does to grind ToL. Try grinding out XP in Secrets of Faydwer or Veil of Alaris, neither is fast. My perception is the 105 and 110 level increase caps were exceptionally easy to grind to max level in, people in my guild would literally pop a lesson the night before, stay in the Guild Hall / Lobby, then move to an XP camp and start pulling, when that lesson expired, they'd pop the next one, when that expired they'd pop a 4 hour potion--they'd be max level before the potion ran out. The ones who stockpiled collections or task completions would get it done even faster.

I guess for live players who have been in the 105+ era for years, forget that EQ existed before then and that this paradigm is only a few expansions old. I think the grind speed in EoK and RoS eras were simply too easy, and should not be assumed as a baseline.

The current grind speed is entirely appropriate for an expansion intended to last a year considering you can be done grinding within a week of play quite easily.
    Wdor, Fenthen, Szilent and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tappin Augur

I stand by what I said. The majority of bots on live are farming items/coin. The ones who PL typically employee dozen of accounts (not negatively effected by slower exp rates) and are concentrated on a few servers. There isn’t any reason to make everyone miserable to get of a small minority of bad apples they can simply ban (cough BB). This is not a valid excuse.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. LesserArchi Elder

I am mostly happy with the expansion but bummed out by the Missions.
    I have the mage box/chanter team/healer merc.
    I like to take it easy and somewhat relax playing EQ/ don't want to over complicate gameplay.

This expansion missions are impossible to do with the healer merc.
    Also made it worse with requiring tank, where it appears the mobs seek out the player characters.
    (not sure if CoV was same since I didn't played too long on that one)
  14. Qimble Augur

I doubt that guild exists
    Wdor and code-zero like this.
  15. code-zero Augur

You have totally missed the existence of a very odd subculture in EQ then. I suppose that they are doing something right if you aren't realizing that they are out there.
  16. Tappin Augur

Can someone please explain to me how af… er I mean Overseers and waiting in discord for task adds isn’t trivial?
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Maybe you have just joined the discussion, but can you tell me how does anyone actually do the ToV quests & missions content solo at 111 in order to avoid grinding mobs or only logging on to do overseer?

Once these expansions are "old content", as in a few years away after everyone currently level 120 is now 145+ who is going to drag the returning players through them?

Is everyone planning on keeping a set of 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140 etc alts to Pl new recruits through the quests & missions? And why should the game require that players beg to be carried through that content rather than provide them with a suitable active play experience?
    Wdor and Treage_Imminent like this.
  18. Qimble Augur

It's gonna be a long time before max level players can't group with 110/111s. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.
  19. Tappin Augur

That bridge will not ever be crossed unless something changes. Those new recruits will be long gone before they hit 115.
    Velisaris_MS and Skuz like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Difficulty catching up - let's cross that bridge when we get to it (newsflash EQ already loses players because of this)

Class progression - let's cross that bridge when we are losing players through a lack of it (newsflash, already happening)

State of the UI - let's cross that bridge when we get to it (EQ already loses players because of the bloated, cumbersome & confusing UI & allowing the game to scale it;s UI beyond 1080p has been requested since several years ago already)

Update the game engine....same
    Update the graphics....same

People were asking for Heroic character upgrade for several years prior to ToL, well that bridge was crossed already too.

Crossing bridges is something EQ is absolutely amazing at doing - however actually doing anything once they've been crossed it is absolutely terrible at EQ is a shining example of just how long a game can last with an utterly & repeatedly disappointed playerbase.
    Wdor and Treage_Imminent like this.