How can I tell if someone is hacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bizaro, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Bizaro Journeyman

I am turning to you guys, the veterans of Everquest. I returned to everquest in October of 2012 I have not played since PoP. I am very unfamiliar with hacking. When I tried to log on Tuesday I found I was banned. After several days of trying to sort out the problem the most I've found out is that I either an item, experience, or something else l gained while grouping with someone hacking. I have looked up several people that I group with on a regular basis and have yet to find anyone that has not logged on.

What do I look for guys? I just joined a new raiding guild. Should I be scared/cautious grouping and meeting new members of my new guild? I want to continue playing but I am truly scared to spend more money in the station cash store or for a membership knowing that my account could be banned due to no fault of my own. If anyone can share any experience, strength, or hope for my situation I would be very grateful!
  2. Liliana Augur

I have an idea, don't use 3rd party programs with active hacks and then get caught and come here claiming innocence. Just man up already. You screwed up. Don't spam the boards with all your doom and gloom.
    UnnamedPlayer and BlankStare_001 like this.
  3. yaddab Augur

From what you said before I am suspecting that it is more to do with an exploit of the mission you were running over and over - for instance were you removing the mission early to beat the lockout timer ?
  4. Talif Augur

Dropping missions early to reset the timer (instead of completing them and getting the end reward) is an exploit now?
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Synthemesc Journeyman

You're not going to get an answer, at least, not the one you're looking for.

Obvious, but apparently needs to be said.
  6. Numskull New Member

If dropping missions early to reset the timer is cool, then consider me Miles Davis!
  7. huadmer Lorekeeper

The guy seems knowledgeable enough in the workings of everquest. He may have been falsely accused of said wrong doings but I also think it's just as likely that he knows what brought about this ban. Either way, just as in the past when people were falsely accused they got there ban reversed and account restored.

My advise is to either ride the wave and wait for your redemption or find another game you can place your trust into.
  8. Bizaro Journeyman

I tried this. I still got the lockout. I was the one that checked the chest, though. I am not sure if this gave me the lockout or what.

The point of this thread is hopefuly to make me and others aware of what hackers are able to do.At this ime the hacks that I am thinking of are probably outdated. The main reason people were hacking or got caught hacking before was for tradeskills. AFK fishing and that type of thing. It seems to be a whole lot more complex these days.

Ignorance has done nothing for me. I can no longer play with the attitude, "I don't care what people do, as long as it doesn't effect me." It's been effecting me all along without me knowing it and now I got hit in the face.

I have done some research on google. What I have found is pretty disturbing. When I played before I thought all this stuff was underground etc... Now they seem to advertise it. If this can't be stopped games are in trouble. I

am a little behind the times as I was not keepig up with this stuff for a few years. I have gotten totaly off topic multiple times now. Moving on
  9. Synthemesc Journeyman

O'DOYLE RULES! /flex
  10. yaddab Augur

Really !

Anyone starts posting details of hacks/exploits this thread will disappear faster than you can blink.
  11. Bizaro Journeyman

So how do I defend against it!?

What I am looking for is say if someone is hacking will x, y, z possibly happen. Are there any things I can look for? So far I've heard of warping (moving from location b to location c instanteously), ghost killing (still a little confusing, best way I heard is someone kills something with a ghost (or fake them) and then uses real character to loot). These 2 things seem easily identifiable. What are the ones that arent so easy.

I understand you don't want to talk about where to find hacks, how to use the, that sort of thing. I just want to know how to defend against them. Maybe a sticky post by a dev for awarness. Like I said, I've been gone for a while I may just be mising it.

I did find something on facebook from one of the top guys at SOE talking about the process of banned accounts and certain hacks people are using. I cannot find it for the life of me! This is where I learned of ghost killing/warping etc. If anyone has this please post
  12. Cicelee Augur

Everquest players are full of half-truths and misinformation. This statement is fact because you are reading it on the internet. And everything you read on the internet is 100% truth.
    Leerah and anthraciteMT like this.
  13. MHD90 Journeyman

cant you buy a random key maker for this game? which makes getting hacked impossible, unless they come to your mom's basement and steals the device.

hmmm maybe jus WoW has that device.
  14. Bizaro Journeyman

Sounds cool. Just fyi:

It's an appartment that's paid for by my mommy.
    ~Glad we cleared that up
  15. Ehff New Member

If your wanting a list of things that will get you ban or suspended. The best suggestion is to google search it. If you do that you will find tons of stuff. Once you've read up on the topics you'll know exactly what to look for and what to avoid. No one is going to actively post on official SOE forums a list that would get you ban or a list of websites to go to research this topic. Its simple, watch who you group with. Don't run old instances that would be questionable. And certainly don't post or mention ghost killing or any other hacks that have gotten people suspended or banned in the past. SOE is on a mission to stop cheating plain and simple. If you got caught or were accused of cheating/hacking or using an exploit to give you the edge over another player. Take the suspension and let it ride out. Its not the end of the world and you'll get to play again. If you have further issues contact SOE directly. They will give you a ban form that you can fill out and they will either over turn the suspension or ban or you simply start over with a new account and character.
  16. Starlanae Lorekeeper

OP is not talking about getting hacked..he has been banned because he was accused of hacking or benefiting from someone in his group that was hacking or even using a third party program himself. He admitted to using a third party program already in another post. He was using an audio trigger program called GINA. Regardless of the impact on the game this program may have, it is still a "Third Party" program that is not part of EQ and may have drawn a red flag when Sony made their hacking sweep. Regardless of what you all think and what EQ has seemed to allow in the past, any program that accesses EQ log files or runs in conjunction to EQ can probably be tracked and flagged. So what if it wasn't being used to create an unfair advantage in the game, it still violates the EULA and anyone who uses a parsing program, audio trigger program, or hell, even the item collector from Zams or Lucy may be at risk of being flagged by the sweeps that Sony runs. Since Sony will not go against their own EULA, they will never come out and say which "Third Party" programs they will allow or support. If you people want these abilities added to EQ, post as much to the devs in constructive requests and if enough people do the same and the addition of these things are possible then the Devs will add these to the game. Using GINA is just stupid and just asking for a ban especially when there is already an audio trigger function in EQ. Any guild that requires you to use these programs for raiding purposes needs to be put on notice as well. The real monkeys out there that use the real hacking programs have pushed Sony into a corner and the Devs can no longer pick and choose which programs are detrimental and which ones are not. You all agree to the EULA to play the game, don't be so shocked when your name is called if you are using these "Third Party" programs. If you want these functions..ask for them the right way through the Devs..don't go to a third party.
    end of rant

Have Fun!
  17. scrappydoo New Member

he also admitted to knowing and grouping with others that had/was hacking. my guess is hes not being honest and leaveing information out and trying to get by on sony.
    anthraciteMT likes this.
  18. Bizaro Journeyman

Thank you, very interesting read.

If I have broken any rules by creating this thread I apologize. That was not my intent and I am sure it can be erased swiftly. I read the rules a few days ago and did not believe it was. I have found lots of information thru google and friends. You are one hundred percent right about sony being pushed into a corner. This seems like an impossible situation.

Why can they not have a program that runs in the background to monitor if we're using hacks? Would that also allow the access to other areas of our computer? Private work information etc? If that's the case then that would never happen. The only solution I can think of is to have more people actively monitoring the players. With EQ moving torwards a totally FTP model with kronos etc I do not see this happening in a 13 year old game.
  19. Liliana Augur

Why would they need more people to monitor when they're logging program is already working and catching those using active hacks. This was a huge wave they caught
  20. yaddab Augur

Bizaro, 99pct of what Starlanae posts is absolute rubbish.

It is like saying I use word to read my log files, and therefore I will get banned. There is nothing wrong with the likes of Gameparse or Gino, or any other utility that simply reads a log file, on our own hard drives and manipulates that data so you can read it more easily.

So I output my inventory to excel - technically I am using a 3rd party program - is it against the EULA - dont make me laugh