Aradune -- nothing in patch notes

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Stune, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Erronn New Member

Necro's were apparently more important than Aradune...
  2. Tucoh Augur

My guess is that the only person who can fix it happens to be the executive producer. We've got no idea what's going on internally to DPG but I'm sure it's a dumpster fire.
  3. Geshp New Member

I should have said "they don't have to be mutually exclusive". I think we're both making the same point, that they can make their initial burst of cash selling bags and keep the money rolling in every month by keeping people happy.
  4. Stune Augur

Which seems to be a slippery slope for many already. I can't see the revenue anywhere close to what it was a few years ago either.
  5. Zyrom New Member

Game updates notes do say "highlights"
    I hope DPG did something to resolve the extreme queues and server instability of Aradune. This premium server is almost a month old and still has unresolved issues. I would hope you have addressed at least some of the issues plaguing this server. If you have then GREAT! A good CSR decision would be to add anything you have done to help Aradune in the patch notes. Letting the paying customers know what actions you have taken would help to pacify them and ease the situation. While not saying anything will only put more stress on an already bad situation.
    Gio1999 likes this.
  6. trashmemes Lorekeeper

They did nothing. They do not care.
    Gio1999 likes this.
  7. Breaker Journeyman

-NPCs in Classic through Luclin will inflict 20% less damage while charmed.
    Thalliius likes this.
  8. topple good idea generator

What are you skuddlebutts talking about? Because of this patch, right now there is absolutely no queue at all on Aradune!
    Zrender, Thalliius and Gio1999 like this.
  9. Tyranthraxus Grognard

knights will no longer have their mounts until luclin
  10. Gio1999 Augur

Selling the game to Tencent! What server issues?
  11. Geshp New Member

I'd love to see the numbers, but I have a feeling that would just infuriate people. I know what the hardware and hosting costs are (or at least what they should be) because I've designed and budgeted them for work. I think the uptick in subs is probably a lot less on server launch than one would expect though - a lot of people keep their subs going, were already subbed (like in my case, I was already playing the EQ2 TLE) or are sitting on piles of krono from previous servers. My guess would be that the decision is treated much more like an investment than profit redirection.

The real issue is that they are still running their own hardware at all, or at least that is my assumption based on the recent post about upgrading memory, etc from Jenn. Many games have moved to a cloud hosted environment that you can scale up and down very quickly (Fortnite is hosted in AWS for example). You don't have to make the decision to invest in hardware that will be sitting idle in a couple months, and it becomes much easier to justify an uptick in opex temporarily versus a large capex purchase that will take months to show ROI if at all. We moved entirely to the Azure cloud 4 years ago because we have a very seasonal business model with high peaks and low valleys in user traffic specifically to take advantage of scaling features and to unburden an already overwhelmed IT infrastructure staff from things like hardware maintenance. It is not an easy move, but it is certainly much easier than it was 4 years ago.

To be honest I doubt there is anyone at DPG doing the complicated budgeting and revenue analysis required to make a lot of these decisions, and I don't mean that as a knock on them. This isn't a huge company we're talking about. I sometimes get the feeling they are surprised how many people want to play and are just waiting for the bottom to fall out on this revenue stream, thus the concern over any significant investments. Adding hardware only makes sense if you think it will lead to increased revenue to the point they are at least paid for or close to it over time. They also know there is a very sharp decline in people playing not far off, and it may just be worth it financially to wait this out even if it leads to a chunk of people quitting as much as that sucks for the player base.
  12. Thalliius Augur

How do you know what they have done? they are still patching
  13. trashmemes Lorekeeper

Fixing the Aradune dumpster fire would be significant enough to make the patch notes, dont you think?
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Your sub also covers other servers! Don't forget!
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Addressing the underlying issues with Aradune performance (so we can up the pop cap again) is top priority, but nothing substantial could be ready for this update.

We still believe (for now) that a third tlp at this time would ultimately split the playerbase and cause more harm than good in the long run. That said, we know the massive wait time in the queue is awful, so we will continue to monitor carefully.

We do have many prospective server crash fixes in this update, but the we won't know for sure until the changes are up in the live environment. These fixes address known issues, and we expect there are still more as yet unknown issues impacting the server crashes as well.
    Protagonist, Zrender, Fanra and 3 others like this.
  16. Zyrom New Member

Thanks for the info Mepps. Hopefully something can be done soon to at least let people play.... It seems now unless you log 3-4 hours before you want to play then you will miss playing :(
  17. Trox2010 Augur

So the plan is to just continue monitoring until the player base leaves for a game that at least pretends to care about them?
    Acidjunkie likes this.
  18. Seraphis New Member

Good to hear from a dev, but that's a whole lot of nuthin' in that post.
    Tewts likes this.
  19. Raisehell Lorekeeper

Explain to me how a temporary and voluntarily split is more harmful than half the players...oh I don't know, not being able to play period?
  20. Psyv New Member

You are causing more harm to the player base by having insane queue times. You won't have players at all if we can't actually play the game. I don't want to pay for Queue Simulator 2020.
    Tewts likes this.