EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittany Augur

Reading through this entire mega thread, I can only imagine the script if the conversation got flipped.

"You know what to do. Go play on a live PvE server if you want to a TLP PvE server!"
    Dulu and PVPme like this.
  2. Dulu Augur

You KNOW this is a LIE because you posted in the original thread.

We had our original thread, and it was merged into this necro'd thread.

[IMG]
    PVPme likes this.
  3. Dulu Augur

Thank you, Kittany.

All we are asking for is official support of a Classic TLP similar to the servers we all played on back in the day. (Rallos, Vallon, Tallon, Sullon)

A single server that is at least close to those in spirit, and follows the TLP format.
  4. PVPme Augur

Hopefully it starts at classic and locks at Luclin. 4 months after reaching Luclin it resets back to classic and repeats! (imo)
    Fraggly likes this.
  5. code-zero Augur

Given that as of 2 minutes ago Bristlebane has a high population with Bertoxxulous, Cazic Thule, Drinal, Erolissi Marr, Luclin, The Rathe, Tunare and Xegony having medium populations I doubt that the devs need to tell anyong to go play on live servers to prove anything.

Of the TLP's only Mangler has a high population with the others all being low. Of course FV is high but Brekt is always low and Zek hasn't shown any sort of population in a long time.

So, no the devs don't need live players to prove anything at all to them.
    Fraggly likes this.
  6. Dulu Augur

Imagine if they took Agnarr, Coirnav, Phini, Mangler.. and merged them all into Miragul.

That's what they did with Sullon, Tallon, Vallon, and Rallos. They merged them into Zek. A server which had completely different rules than any of the previous 4, making NO ONE happy.

When the PvP community vanished overnight into private servers, or quit, everyone just kind of threw their hands up and said "Well, guess no one wants to PvP."
  7. Fraggly Augur

Huh? yes i know i posted there, all i'm saying is the necro thread is the cause for old info being first(?).

Whatever, i hope we get a PvP truebox and standard server! two new things at once, what could be better.

side note: are the bluebies in the meme supposed to be that guys pants? Hilarious if so.
    PVPme likes this.
  8. Kittany Augur

I mean no disrespect, and we have often disagreed and rarely agreed in the past. But I was just pointing out the sillyness of the go-to default argument with a role reversal. And if you think the parody is eye rolling, imagine how the opposition feels when it's used? It's not a good argument. Heck, it's not even a bad one. It's a downright ignorant and asinine thing to say :p

Edit: Replied to the wrong person. All fix't now
    code-zero likes this.
  9. PVPme Augur

What's kinda messed up is the Devs recognized its basically two different games (Live vs TLP) with two different communities but still felt the need to say something so hypocritical to the PvP community, who just want to relive EverQuest the way we remember.
  10. Stagentti Augur

Been a long time. Why did they do that?
  11. PVPme Augur

IIRC they basically just gave up on trying to balance spells/abilities for PvP. It was level 70 & it got to the point where spells would almost never land on geared players, due to the resist getting insane. MeleeQuest was in full swing. This is the main reason they'd have to stop any EQ TLP in one of the earlier expansions.

I also firmly believe that TLP servers(espically a pvp one) would retain a much high player base if they reset them in a "seasonal" type of fashion. (maybe every 6-8months)
  12. Kahna Augur

There was a year long gap between posts, it counts as an annual re-occurrence of this topic.

I stopped playing EQ about 9 months ago, once I decided that DBGs can't actually fix what is wrong with EQ because what is wrong with it is the people who play it. Not all of them, or even most of them, but enough to ruin it for everyone else. I don't actually care if you get a PvP server or not, or if there is even a new server this year or not. I bought a pony instead, and I am getting ready for my first Combined Driving Event this year. I truly hope you can find something you enjoy doing too even if you don't get the server you want.
  13. Dulu Augur

Because World of Warcraft came along, and put Everquest into the dumpster.

Subscriptions were bleeding rapidly, and the devs needed to consolidate their remaining resources to work on what they thought was their "main game", but really - all they did was alienate a sub section of their community, forcing a further exodus, exacerbating their problem.

Once the devs killed their own PvP playerbase, the devs/PvE community used that to justify not having a proper PvP server or support, or balance. "Look! No one plays Zek!"

And like others have stated above, each expansion just created more and more problems for the devs in terms of PvP. They couldn't keep up with the power creep of gear, and it was too much for them to handle. This problem is nullified by simply stopping the TLP at a particular point in time. Velious, Luclin, or PoP.
    Kittany likes this.
  14. Dulu Augur

Kittany, did you join our discord yet? Come be part of the crusade.

https://discord.gg/duJWSq
  15. Runes Augur

Man I have not heard so much whining and pleading and crying since my wedding night and it was me.

Give the salt stricken dozen or so PvP community members a 90 day server at the same time as a 90 day TLP PVE server and if any of the populations on either server drops to being consistently low after 90 days then wipe the server but give the option for people to transfer to the other server.

Both servers have the same unlock schedule and ya too bad for the people that want to transfer if their names are taken and they have to add a few XXs after their names, that's the risk you took for making a bad choice.

If the population stays healthy after 90 days the server stays open permanently until whatever ruleset was chosen.
  16. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

Why doesn't the PVP community ask Darkpaw to implement systems that would actually make an EQ PVP server more compelling to a lot of players and fix a lot of issues rather than just asking for the standard PVP server that even PVP type people don't enjoy? I haven't read through every single comment in this thread so maybe someone did bring it up already, but there is a lot of fixes Darkpaw could add that would potentially make an EQ PVP server rather fun. Although the question would be is how much time and resources it would take to make these changes and is Darkpaw willing to do it.

-Add diminishing returns to CC abilities on players so you can't grief someone with perma mez/root.
    -Put a cap on resists in PVP interactions. Your resists would still be 100% effective vs mobs, but say only 30% of your resists are effective vs players. Alternatively, add a cap resist vs other players.
    -Put in some type of reward system for killing players that has diminishing returns over a 24 hour period, like experience for example for killing another player. Alternatively you could release AA's at launch, and make the only way of getting AA exp by killing other players.
    -Make a PVP leaderboard or ranks.
    -Lose all movement speed buffs while in combat with another player.

There's a lot of things you could do. The first two things I listed would be the biggest things IMO that would need to be put in to a PVP server to make it viable as well as the movement speed thing. Without diminishing returns on CC abilities it's too easy to grief people, and without lowering the effective resists in PVP interactions, melee dominate Luclin and beyond.
  17. PVPme Augur

I'm sure Darkpaw Games would much rather first see there is a community interested in such a server before they start to expand on it, hints why any type of server will do so long it stops at or before PoP. The "seasonal" approach to it would be a perfect way to ditch it if it fails or expand on it if successful.

There is also already a leaderboard, but I agree there is a lot that could be changed to make it a lot more fun.
  18. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

I'm not sure if Darkpaw or anyone could get a good idea on the interest of a PVP tlp by just launching a PVP server in the current state. That would mostly only attract the already extreme minority of the EQ pvp base begging for a pvp server. There are a ton of people who play EQ that really enjoy playing PVP games but would never touch an EQ pvp in it's current state. I know I wouldn't. If they made some good changes that were compelling enough though in terms of balancing and rewards, that's where you could really start to see some interest from the PVP type players.
  19. PVPme Augur

-With proper buff management/pots you can counter these. Mezz with a Crimson Potion before you get mezzed. Root by making sure your top buff slots are open and using a Pumice Stone for dispel.
    -Resist would probably definitely need a look at eventually especially if the server goes past Kunark.
    -Rewards would also be something that would need to be looked at eventually. Titles/cosmetics/mounts are a few things they could add
    -there already is a leaderboard built in
    -loss of movement buffs during pvp could be interesting but not 100% necessary
  20. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

The point of putting diminishing returns on CC abilities is mainly to prevent griefing. Even if there are currently ways of getting out of it through items, not every single player will have them and result in a bad experience for many people. Diminishing returns on CC abilities is a necessary thing in every PVP game and any of the good ones worth their salt have it, even if there is a multitude of ways of getting out of a CC ability.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.