Why we should stop boxing on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wisp99, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Madae Elder

Oh, then I was right, you are one of those people and you should be banned. Now that we figured that out, you can suck it up that someone doesn't like you and move on with your life.
    I say again; "Boohoo". Cry me a river. :(

Also, it's hilarious how you don't understand how that comment was followed up by another statement that was the justification for it. Understanding context would really help you in life, you should give it a try.
  2. Machentoo Augur

And I'll say again, it's not your call. DBG allows players like me.

Have a nice life.
  3. Madae Elder

You crack me up. All that to say absolutely nothing.
  4. Aneuren Tempered Steel

There have been some really good posts in this thread, but at the end of the day I fail to see how calling Daybreak to change the rules post server launch to prevent all boxing is any different than calling Daybreak to change the rules to eliminate Trueboxing.

They should have offered alternatives from the start, for players that want to forbid/embrace boxing. To change the rules now would only cause immense strife.
  5. ShivanAngel Augur

Played on a lot of TLP servers, if they released one server NO BOXING and on server with boxing, I can say with a lot of confidence the non box server would have population problems...

THAT MANY PEOPLE BOX.

On phinny a non boxing guild tried to get off the ground, it actually couldnt, there wasnt enough interest.
  6. Madae Elder

Simple solution would be to just release a server with strict rules and punishment on anyone caught offending. At that point, everyone knows what they're getting in to and what is/isn't allowed. Pretty sure P99 doesn't allow boxing, everyone goes in knowing exactly what to expect and it works out just fine in the end. If a server like that can survive with it, DBG could definitely get one to survive too... but knowing the lifespan of TLP servers (alive until the next, pretty much), unless they make a dedicated server like that, the population would probably spread out way too much over time, since that's (clearly indicated by this thread) not something for a lot of people.

I think it would work. It would have to be advertised, maybe some polls and stuff to see how much interest it gets. Would take a bit of work to be successful maybe, but it could definitely work given the right conditions (P99 being the example).

Also, for it to work, the people need to be in on it to, usually. It takes a pretty niche player, those willing to help police it by keeping an eye out for the offenders, plus DBG would have to have some effective GM's on watch too to make sure people don't sneak in, and also to investigate and all that. Takes more work than a regular server, for sure, which is why it may be unrealistic for DBG to have tried yet.
  7. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I truly hope they do release mirror boxing/non boxing servers. Daybreak knows that there is a demand for it and, by ignoring it, they set otherwise good people against themselves on these forums. It just isn't right.
  8. Nykara2 Elder

It just seems to be a select few who have issues with all boxers. Most are fine with those who box one or two chars, its just the mass bot armies they have issues with (myself included, not a fan of them).

Sadly there just doesn't seem to be a way to make a balance between the two without totally condeming the legit double/tripple boxers who are fine. That's the part that sucks but it is what it is.

I'd personally rather not see a bunch of legit players banned because of a few bad eggs.

I'd happily be on a server where they legit banned any box 6+ box armies and left the other boxers be if they made one. Can't see it happening though, not without condeming the others as well and that wouldn't be fair or fun.
  9. Machentoo Augur

For one thing, no one is calling for Daybreak to ban players who don't box.
    Aneuren likes this.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Ditto it's easy to visually ban a 7+ boxer

It takes too much time to do the same thing against a 6 box group.
    Could be a 5 boxer + 1, could be a two 3 boxers.. etc..
  11. Nessirfiti Augur

I thought about making a post like that, but then I realised Hyperbole serves no one.
    It's really not though. I often run with a few other guild members and we'll leave characters out of group, and end up with 8 to 10 in the same camp, but there are 2 to 4 of us there.
  12. ShivanAngel Augur

I box, I have made that clear before.

The only "Toxic" boxing I have really encountered is the 12-24 boxer which has almost been eradicated thanks to truebox rules. However my biggest gripe with these is that it is functionally impossible to do without breaking DBG's own EULA, that they refuse to enforce on those people. Show me a person, boxing more than 1 group, that is doing it without keybroadcasting (that is 1 keystroke for 1 action on 1 character).

Some 6 boxers that do like 5 mages 1 cleric are toxic as well, but they arent the norm. These are the people that just KS with impunity and make life hell for people. Again these arent the norm.
    Faydark likes this.
  13. Sturn Augur

You can but stating that "boxing isn't acceptable here" is an untrue statement. You don't have the authority to say what is and isn't welcome on a server run by DBG.
  14. Elemenopi Augur

A clear demonstration of lack of understanding of the social aspect of the game the OP was talking about. Pet farm in game while asleep, and while awake quote the letter of the rules to anyone who understands how game system integrity is compromised because of it.

While reading all this box army defense Im imagining a DM sitting a table taking bribes for in game allowance to play 12 characters in a campaign balanced for 4-6, then allowing those items to be "sold" (using fake currency of course) to any other player character whose player also paid the DM real money, but would never be able o earn the item in game on their own until they were much higher level.
  15. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'm curious what 6 characters do you leave oog when you have 4 in the main group?
  16. Madae Elder

I never implied it was anything but an opinion.
  17. Sturn Augur

"I don't think boxers should be welcomed here." - opinion

"Boxers aren't welcome here" - statement of fact
  18. Elemenopi Augur

Precisely my point. People are obviously NOT using 6 computers.

We can also measure the ms between characters casting. Not only does the MAC check work here, but when ALL characters stand at EXACTLY the same time, cast at EXACTLY the same time, then sit at EXACTLY the same time (down to the thousandths of a second) it is clear cut and dry.
  19. Madae Elder

You know what imho means? Or do I need to spell that out for you?

Really surprised there are so many "adults" here that don't understand the meaning of context.
  20. Elemenopi Augur

Pssssst... There was a RMT economy surrounding EQ long long long long before Krono appeared.