True Box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tyrial, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodnews Augur

a no-box server would be nice; let me transfer my character there...
  2. Magic Augur

Them can just disable /follow command and boxing will be harder :)
    Or limit this command to 5 min each game day (for ppl who really afk and want to follow group)
  3. Polpet Elder

I 6 box on Coirnav. This is my Setup!
    NO VM
    NO SYNERGY OR OTHER SOFTWARE
    THIS IS TRUEBOX!
    3x Mages + 1x Cleric is controlled via external Numpads. Everythink is macroed.
    Chanter and Ranger on main Screens with Mouse + Keybaord.

[IMG]
    -

[IMG]
    Chatoyan and code-zero like this.
  4. Strawberry Augur

DIsabling /follow wouldn't help. They can the same spell commands to 6 toons at once, they can just as easily copy how they run to their 6 toons.

To stop boxing you just need to make it worth playing a single account again.

Let's say trash mobs now cast an AE dot on the group when you engage them, at a random place in the buff window. If more than 4 players click this off within 3 seconds, you can reflect the dot back to the mob.

Random mouse events are a nightmare for boxers, they can't deal with this kinda stuff.
  5. Strawberry Augur

This is truebox for you though.

It is also the most inefficient set-up you can possibly use. Let's not pretend this is how most 6 boxers play either. Using Synergy would reduce those 6 keyboards and mice to 1.
  6. Razzd New Member

Yep screenshots like this don't really mean much. Its a nice setup but the only way to prove someone is actually doing it legit would be a video showing gameplay and hand movements. I am not accusing this guy I am sure there are a few who do 6 box legit but the majority are most likely doing it from 1 pc with Synergy or something similar.
  7. Polpet Elder

Ist not inefficent because Synergy = 1 Mouse and 1 Keyboard. i dont use the lower 2 and uper 2 Laptop Screens, they are always closed. So just hitting the external numpads for pet attacks + cast. its 1 Click each numpad. i dont have do activate Screens like i Need to do when i use Synergy.

in that case: Synergy is inefficent.
  8. Starr Elder

I 4 box and have a similar setup. I use 2 desktops and 2 laptops with the keyboards next to each other.

What makes you so sure most have to use 1 pc with Synergy or similar?
  9. mattey New Member

I also 6 box on coirnav, My set up is:

Enchanter (main and main screen)
    Cleric 2nd main screen
    bard, old pc singing songs and on AF
    necro, mage, druid.

I use synergy to switch between the PC's, I move my mouse over 1 of the screens, hit key 1 2 or 3 depending what I want to do. I pull on the enchanter, put pet on it, then got to necro and mage and hit 1 for pet attack, then hit 1 to assist on druid, then 2 to nuke. then 2 on necro and mage to nuke.

Its surprising, I can literally do this within 2-3 seconds on all screns now, and within 5 seconds can have all attacking nuking and aheal fired off. I suck at boxing and will get faster as I go along.

I also have a second screen on the main PC with TS, DS and the net for info, giving in total 7 screens in my set up.

It is very easily done, but very stressfull, and some would say hardly worth it. T read a comment about they level 3 x faster? how? do we get a magic EXP bonus?

Or whilst you go buy 1 set of spells do we loose loads of time because we have to go and buy different sets of spells and songs from different places etc.
    Chatoyan and code-zero like this.
  10. Febb Augur

Maybe we should buy you some tin foil hats and a straight jacket.
  11. Lankie Augur

Does it matter if people box? They aren't doing well on a true box server. It's like 5% as effective as a real 6 group. Couple of adds, a resisted or broken Mez or two and the group will shut down and wipe.

I would like to see a no-box server and probably would leave Phinny for it though.
  12. TheRealAtabishi Journeyman

People are so naive thinking that a no-box server would actually work.

Daybreak is a business. Their main goal is profit. I'm sure they have all kinds of back end analytics that show them things like what the majority of customers want and what affects the longevity of their customers. It would be safe to assume that if their analytics show that the majority of sub'd accnts are single players who don't box, and that the majority of them are still playing 6 months in, 1 year in, 2 years in, that they would create a no-box server. I think it's pretty obvious on the TLP's that the vast majority of people who stay on the server the longest are boxers. There are probably just as many sub'd box accounts as there are players on TLPs. Not being able to box has a snowball effect. A year in to the server where the population has drastically decreased, without boxes it will take you too long to do anything, which would just cause more and more people to leave.

Other games where boxing is very popular have tried the no box servers and every iteration of it I've seen has failed, quickly having a low population very early.
    jeskola likes this.
  13. Lankie Augur

I think you are wrong. I'm sure their intention with True-Box is to eliminate boxing. If they could come up with a solution to stop boxing without any extra cost (staff etc), they would do it instantly.

Remember that each boxer is a person who doesn't add anything to the server, they will likely never group, or very rarely. So 100 boxers on the server is 100 less people to group with, and contribute to the health of that server.

Even when they do group, have you ever tried grouping with a 3+ boxer? It's like grouping with a small child the age of 5. Terrible plays. If I had to group with boxers only, I wouldn't even play EQ.

Unless I'm really desperate, I would rather sit LFG in guild lobby than group with a boxer.
  14. Weebles Augur

So untrue. First, a lot of people that box would either play a solo class or not play at all if boxing was not an option, so those people have literally no effect on the "number of people to group with."
    Secondly, a lot of boxers play only 1 other toon, and frequently fill groups from lfg (sometimes with another 2 box). Lastly, in my experience, I've seen no real correlation between efficiency and box toons (4-6 box teams excluded). I've grouped with my fair share of solo players with garbage reaction times.

It seems like you are just perceiving a narrative that fits your assumptions.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  15. Vaxpo Elder

You are really reaching if you think what you just said here is a viable defense for the ToS violations clearly going on.

while they technically could do this, it means that EVERY time they would have to have the same reaction speed, without fail. That is also humanly impossible. Fatigue will cause reaction time to change as will a number of other factors. What you are proposing is that someone is able to maintain their perfect reaction time for a 15 hour+ play session which is what I see these people doing. That is again, impossible.
  16. Numiko Augur

I really do not see the need for automation software in such a slow game as EQ, nothing has to happen fast here. This is not a twitch shooter game!

Yes if you want to DPS race someone this software may help but the vast majority of players will never get involved in one, or want to be involved in one.

I mean is it so hard to push 1 and 2 on 3-6 keyboards you need special software to do it?
  17. TheRealAtabishi Journeyman

Their intention for true-box was to eliminate 1 person playing 30 mages and out dps racing entire guilds. If their intention with true-box was to eliminate boxing, they would just not allow boxing. They wanted to make phinny seem as close to a classic feel as possible, which is where you get true box.

Where do you get that a boxer doesnt add anything to a server? lol every 6 boxer is adding the same to the server as 6 individual players. 100 one boxers are adding the same as 200 individual players. Boxers heavily contribute to the health of the server, especially later in to the server.

You need to take an economics class.
  18. TheRealAtabishi Journeyman

AlmarsGuides likes this.
  19. Machentoo Augur

Yeah, that would definitely make people want to play just one toon. Sounds like a boatload of fun.

:rolleyes:
  20. Machentoo Augur

They have the ability to stop all boxing. They have chosen to not go that route. It is pretty clear when the very first advertisement for the very first truebox server included a picture of a six box system setup, that their intention is not to eliminate boxing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.