EverQuest Next Canceled

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Feradach, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Tulgin Augur

EQ Next shut down like 2 years ago lol
  2. Mouldy Shroom Journeyman

Seemed to be stuck in development hell from what I'd read about it.
  3. AlmarsGuides Augur

It got canceled once before.

Maybe they'll revive it again in another 5 - 10 years =P
  4. Alelo New Member

5. Mouldy Shroom Journeyman

At some point it's more cost effective to start again. Which also gives you the flexibility to make radical design and engine changes.

You just can't do that by continually bolting on more expansions to EQ.

Just one example was the changes Elidroth wanted to make to NPC and player damage. They abandoned it as not feasible.

EQ is just too old, the codebase too archaic, to make meaningful changes this late in its lifecycle. So effectively they have to make an EQ Next if they want to update EQ. You can't turn an old car into a new car by just repainting it every year, changing the tyres and installing a new stereo. At some point, if you want a new car, you have to buy a new car.
    Tarvas likes this.
  6. Arcainos Augur

With the (very) recent announcement of EQN being cancelled, can we expect these teams to be redeployed to reinvigorate Everquest and its future content?
    Nniki, Sancus, Elricvonclief and 3 others like this.
  7. Reval Augur

That'd be totes cool.
  8. Greyowl Augur

9. Mouldy Shroom Journeyman

Ask yourself. Will the company grow, in revenue and market share, by focusing on a 17 year old product that's in its twilight?

Put on your company director's hat. Would you commit your future earnings potential to selling a 17 year old product? When all around you new products are being developed?

Sure, not all of these new products will be a success. But you cannot hope to grow if you do not plan to release any new products, ever.

Microsoft wouldn't be relevant if they were still selling DOS 6 and Windows 3.1. That's just how it is.
  10. Numiko Augur

or they will begin working on EQ 4....
  11. Iila Augur

Maybe if it's a MOBA.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Numiko like this.
  12. Mouldy Shroom Journeyman

Surely nobody in the TLP community was looking forward to that cartoony not-at-all-like-EverQuest *thing*, that we were shown years ago. Coupled with what we know about the mechanics it was going to use.

Sure, the voxel stuff could have been cool, but the game itself looked horrid, and the mechanics were nothing like EQ at all. It was going for the Minecraft crowd.
    Beimeith and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  13. Vaclav Augur

More surprising news than this was that Russell Shanks is the new head. Hadn't heard of them getting it.
  14. Numiko Augur

15. Ducreux Augur

Yeah never heard of that guy before.
  16. Enkel Augur

The issue wasn't putting money into Next, it was creating EQ 2.
  17. Slartibartfast Journeyman

Sounds fake to me..
  18. Korillo Augur

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/22/90...resident-john-smedley-steps-away-from-company

Correction: The story initially reported, citing VentureBeat, that chief creative operating officer Russell Shanks will be the new president, assuming Smedley's duties and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the studio along with a committee. That is incorrect, according to Daybreak. The studio declined to stay who will be taking over those responsibilities.

Surprise guess it was correct after all!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Angahran Augur

Why is it that anytime anyone tries to suggest something to help the game, like adding resources, etc, someone else post something along the lines of 'the game is dead, why waste time/money on it?'

Maybe with some extra resources the game could get back to how it was when it was the king of the MMOG mountain.

So, please, DBG, don't listen to the people who have already consigned this game to the graveyard, listen to those of us who still love it and want to see it thrive and be around for another 20 years!
  20. Alenda New Member

of Everquest Next. I am convinced daybreak has ruined a completely legitimate franchise. I have played and played this game since alpha and despite the recent changes the game has become nothing more than a dead fish. The fact now that they have no intentions on continuing work on a new version of the game shows me this was about nothing more than an attempt to make a lazy buck and rather than make it a passion of hope for the players who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars lining devs pockets, they give up. Verant, Sony, Daybreak and now myself are giving up on what has recently become a piece of garbage. All good things must come to an end. At least Blizzard does not over it's subscribers by empty promises. Thank you for ruining what could potentially have been the next best game. I have to wonder what you plan to do with all the people who worked on this?! I mean, will they be sleeping on a corner in their home cities or do you even give a ?