PET TANK :)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Yimin, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Zalamyr Augur

I assume that's a typo'd "empty".
  2. Igniz Augur

You assume correctly
  3. Yimin Augur

So far I have helped 50 different people pass TBM missions , I could not of done that with out the pet tanking ... I am sure other have help more or less but the change to pet is help many pass missions ....This makes people happy and when they are happy they pay to play , it is so simple to understand happy customer is a paying customer hehehe

Yi Min
  4. Heatwave Journeyman

Why do people believe pet taunt is similar to a tanks taunt? It doesn't work the same way at all...

If it did, any rs pet or regular pet with taunt on, would instantly be equal to a tanks agro when successful at taunt. Pet taunt doesn't work that way at all.

I can leave my pet taunt on, and it will never be equal in hate to a good tank, which, if taunt worked for pets the same way as players, every time pet successfully taunted, then it would be at top agro plus 1, correct? It doesn't work that way at all.

I speculate that when a pet taunts, all it actually does is hits the mob with an agro increase nuke, much like sk terror or whatever.

Pet taunt definitely does not work the same as PC taunt, though.
  5. Tweelis Augur

@Heatwave

While this is a bit dated (changed due to how pet's work) Here's a great thread that explains how hate/taunt work: http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7760

6. Triconix Augur

So you're saying that's not the right way of tanking? Just when I thought I got this tanking stuff down pat you go ahead and throw this stick in the spokes :(
  7. Heatwave Journeyman

@ Tweelis

Pet taunt does not work that way.

Either that, or pet taunts never work, period.

If pet taunt worked the same as player taunt, then a pet that was taunting would, every time a taunt was successful, be 1 point higher in hate than the tank, and you would see it bounce from like 60 to 100 hate, every successful taunt, if it was at 60.

This never happens.

Pet taunt does NOT work the same as player taunt. Either that, or it NEVER is successful.

I'm not saying pets don't generate a fair bit of agro, but their taunt definitely does not work the same as a player character's taunt.
  8. Heatwave Journeyman

Have a tank friend do all they can to max agro, put a pet with taunt on, and see if it EVER is 100 on hate list... Every successful taunt, it SHOULD be, for at least a millisecond, but (as long as your tank friend is good) your pet even with taunt on will NEVER get above like 80.
  9. Yimin Augur

Maybe it is just me , but the tanks I play with don't complain about pet agro , or maybe it is. I know what I am doing also . A lot make a mage and don't have a clue how to play it ...And please forgive my more English skills ..

Yi Min
  10. Linden Augur

I play a Paladin. Never have any problems with aggro, whether its a quick grab, gradual, or holding it. Except with a mage pet. I can throw every aggro spell, AA into the mix and its a struggle, or aggro is bouncing back and forth, there is no reason a pet should be remotely close to challenging a tank class, maxed AA and raid geared for aggro. As far as tanking and mitigation, I don't see any problem. We all know mage's are currently overpowered, remember not too long ago mage.s were lagging zones with beam pulls, now its pets and increased mitigation. Personally, I dont care, but when I see players complaining and arguing about fairness and unjustified nerfing, I call . You wanna talk about unfair? Look at the Shadow Knight class.
  11. Linden Augur

12. Linden Augur

Sorry that's simply incorrect. Even with bolden Attacks AA maxed, Force of disruption, Stuns, and every other AA aggro ability, its a struggle to hold aggro for a Paladin. And dont be fooled, a well played paladin has no issues in group, or offtanking raids as far as aggro is concerned. I see players on the group level give up and not even attempt to tank because of the frustration. Never should you see a warrior, paladin, or sk take a backseat to a pet in the area of tanking.
  13. Igniz Augur

What you describe is weird. I play a cute SK alt sometimes, Level 105.
    I have no problem whatsoever with holding aggro against magepets, not even against RS pets directly set on the mob when incoming. Friend PAL didn't have problems with my main's pets either.

Please WHAT? Are you playing another EQ than the rest of us?

As were Rangers, SKs and Paladins with their swarming techniques, which, in return, were all "adjusted" in .... August 2014? Yielding substantial upgrades for the chain-classes' "instant-kill" mechanics.

Errrm, Pet Mitigation was substantially reduced ... multiple times ... as was the damage output of the pets. Our latest iteration of pet enhancement AAs (Companion's Wrath) puts our pets not quite where they were during Reign of Fear, dps-wise. You might want to have a look here. Sadly, that's only about a quarter of the discussions, the rest seem to have been removed.

I rest my case - no point in arguing here any longer ... And here I thought SKs today were stronger than ever before, both in tanking as well as in DPS capabilities.
  14. Linden Augur

Rangers, Paladins and SK's were lagging zones and weren't pulling 125 mobs in VOA when RoF was the current expansion.
    Are they? Have you raided recently? Can you give me some examples of SK utility or purpose on a raid? Compared to what Paladins or Warriors bring? DPS capabilities? Paladins and warriors are skunking SK's in dps, Paladins especially on burst. Put up some parses and we can compare. On another thread, however.
  15. Repthor Augur

Linden your wrong on alot of your points

it sounds to me like you need to make a multibind, alot of the aggro problems from knight classes stems from the lack of casting spells fast enough and or often enough. Clicking or macroing spells will not net you a suffichent high enough spell cast count for you be comftble against ppl who uses multibinds and pets. If its constantly a issue for you with the mages you play with (mind you its not a mage only problem, its for all pet classes even the lesser once like shammy and the likes) look at their pets buff see if they are doing their part haveing calm companions deamenor on. If they summon their pets, if they sent it on the wrong mob. Are they are assisting properly? All thease things will play apart of the pet class playing or not playing properly when with you

Here a spesific example how mages use to play thats annoying now with the rain changes and or pet changes. u pull cuple mobs (X number here) mage in this case or necro both normaly guilty of this as they work on multiple mobs at same times. they sent pet in on a mobs your not focusing on to atempt to keep that x-tra mob off them wile their rain/multi dot. That can still be a problem if the PERSON behind the wheel hasent adapteted yet. It is not a pet problem, thats a user problem or the fact that the person your grouping with dont feel comftble or trust your as a tank to keep said mob off them wile their raining /multi dotting. They been doing this for a very long time as proximidy aggro from pets have been helpfull for forceing mobs to behave in a certen manner when aggro was less strong from the tanks then it is now

Pets can still piss me off if used wrong or the driver of the pet arent useing them in a manner they should. Its not the pets fault if the owner cant change adapt to new changes
    Sancus and Igniz like this.
  16. Igniz Augur

Beamkiting was not a feature of the mage - it was an exploit. Which main magicians did not use, but thanks to heroic characters, every idiot and his dog suddenly thought they could play a magician when in fact all they did was beamkite. Do you think it's funny to be LFG and being asked "can you beamkite?"

Also, if you were swarming and did NOT pull 100+ mobs - you were doing it wrong.

Hm, let's see ... raid utility for SKs in TBM ... Tanking Decay in Wither/Decay event, hollistic adds and Lifeblood Golems on Lady of Life event ... managing bokons and oozes in Damsel of Decay event. Kiting and Tanking of adds and mini bosses on Grummus event, same in Emmoliuus and Grannus Events ... Yes, I don't see any particular purpose for PAL/SK during Vim/Vigour, though.

As I am not raiding with my SK, a parse from a group mob should need to suffice. As I was tanking the named, I was using Sword&Board instead of twohander :

Akkapan Adan in 33s, 12081k @366093sdps
    --- ShadowKnight 4315k@130763sdps [35,72%]
    --- Berserker 4070k@123346sdps [33,69%]
    --- Necromancer + pets 1730k@52411sdps [14,32%]
    --- Berserker 860k@26052sdps [7,12%]
    --- Bard 833k@25254sdps [6,9%]
    --- Nec's Pet 231k@6997sdps [1,91%]
    --- Shm's Pet 42k@1271sdps [0,35%]
    --- Cleric 0k@0sdps [0%]
    --- Shaman 0k@0sdps [0%]

/GU Elizabeth Ruffleberg in 27s, 10801k @400055sdps
    --- Berserker 5758k@213246sdps [53,3%]
    --- ShadowKnight 4315k@159817sdps [39,95%]
    --- Rogue Merc 384k@14212sdps [3,55%]
    --- Caster Merc 299k@11091sdps [2,77%]
    --- Shaman + pets 45k@1591sdps [0,27%]

As a main Magician, I do not claim any mastership in playing my cute SK, although I think that I have at least a vague idea what I am doing.

If you are not satisfied with your class - please go complain somewhere else and try to get a boost for it. And try not to get a frustration-nerf for another class while you're at it. That'd be great.
  17. Sancus Augur

SKs are definitely hurting in raids, I agree. Mages are as well. Neither has much relevance to pet aggro.

If you are grouped with a solid tank of any class, they will be able to hold aggro from pets.
    Sheex, Mintalie and Igniz like this.
  18. Igniz Augur

The reason why SKs are hurting in raids at the moment, though, is more to the architecture of the raids rather than the abilities of the class. PAL can at least still fill the role of a group healer, while a SK's forte is snapping aggro and tanking. Alas, in TBM raids, there are few tasks that can be performed by a SK, that cannot be performed by PAL or WAR as well or better. In groups, SKs can still shine and I would not like to miss my regular group's SK bunny (our one and only tank), who, anecdotally, does NOT have any problems with any of my pets. Only time when she's hurting for aggro is IF my pet gets charmed and I need to kill it with turn summoned ... (yay! finally found a use in TBM for that AA)
  19. Linden Augur

LMAO...You post a 33 sec parse and a 27 second parse??? show me some sustained dps? And ill be fair, ill post live encounters, not undead... Pria the Penitent in 75s, 13898k @185307sdps --- #1 Linden 5969k@79590sdps (91835dps in 65s) [42.95%]

And you wont be seeing any SK moloing in combine any time soon... Necromaticus Abominatio in 577s, 14007k @24276 / #1 Linden + pets 14007k@(24276 in 577s) [100%]

Linden -vs- Necromaticus Abominatio: -- DMG: 14006558 -- DPS: 24275 -- Scaled: 24275 -- Slash: 5639590 -- DirDmg: 4587428 -- Slay: 3546086 -- Bash: 147704 -- Environmental: 85750 -- % dmg as normal: 53.2% -- % dmg as critical: 43.6% -- Non-crit rate: 84.3% -- crit rate: 14.9% -- crippling rate: 0.8% -- Attempts: 2283 -- Hits: 1983 -- Missed: 300 -- Accuracy: 86.9% -- Avg Hit: 7063 -- Max hit: 181863 -- DMG to PC: 9570848..Come talk to me about tanking, when you can pull of an 11 minute melee with a named in combine, using a wizzy merc.
    Here is your sustained dps that you wont be doing anytime soon. /3 A royal wizard (18), A royal healer (11), A royal scout (9), A royal soldier (6), Captain Kanteer (2) in 442s, 443585k @1003587sdps / #5 Linden 21047k@47617sdps (50111dps in 420s) [4.74%]

So yeah. SK's need quite a bit of work.

As for the comment about whining about my class? Really? Mages are overpowered. But like I said, I could care less. Paladins are overpowered too. And I really dont wnat to come across like an here, My merc is on perma burn, and my secondary wizzy merc is too, no issues at all keeping aggro off them...I prefer not to multibind for several reason, my spells casted exceeds probably 90 percent of paladins.
  20. fransisco Augur

Weren't pals and sks always supposed to be interchangable for tanking?

Who cares if a paladin can do it instead of an sk. They can both do it, which is great for everyone.
    Linden likes this.