Dev's Treating players with distain or avoiding comments on player issues concerns please talk to us

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by flash000, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Eggolas Augur

If one were to read the story of layoffs when Columbus Nova bought SOE and then the comments by developers to that story (Wikipedia footnote 7 to CN entry), it would become clear that while more developers would be nice, the paying base of players simply does not support the labor cost. Is that a long-term problem for EQ? Very possibly. But, only time will tell.

Threats of cancellation never do anything as some are empty threats and others occur, with numbers tracked by the company. I do not know if a more reasoned approach would work, but I do know that I have always received a timely response to reasonably written CS questions.
  2. Motherlee Augur

We discussed this but a guildy who is an accountant pointed out that you never get enough back in tax relief to make up for the loss that triggered it.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Motherlee Augur

But why are they trying to make us quit?
  4. Iila Augur

Correct, it's the devs that did those nerfs, the rof exp nerf, the HA nerfs, and these fade and pulling nerfs.

No one told Aristo to spend a huge portion of last beta naming spells before even listening to feedback on which spell lines were worth cutting.

No one told Elidroth to ignore feedback that was saying he was making useless AAs.

No one told Chandrok to threaten to nerf older weapons when players didn't like the new ones he was making.

Those are all developer decisions that negatively effected the game, betas, or player experience. There's no need to attribute any of that to Smokejumper, Holly, Smedly, Sony, or Columbus Nova.

Four days for the Tower of Rot beta? Early release dates for TDS and TBM? Sure, those are all from higher up. Not getting any new team members to keep up with TLP content? Not the dev's fault.
    Hiladdar, Reht, Xeladom and 2 others like this.
  5. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Exactly how are they trying to make you quite?
  6. Motherlee Augur

Why wouldn't CN tell them, "Hey, quit wasting your time breaking things and pissing off the players?"
    Hiladdar likes this.
  7. Motherlee Augur

Good day and welcome to the forums, Tarvas! You have a lot of reading to do!
    Hiladdar likes this.
  8. Tyraxor Augur

Motherlee gets it, instead of all the changes they could have worked on a really big and cool expansion for once. They would just need one, only one, to get a lot of returning players just like TLP.
    + they also would get all the additional sales for that expansion.
    If someone could hammer that into their heads (whoever really, i'm bored of thinking about who actually runs this show by now), everyone could just relax but no...this is much cooler.
    Zezack, Hiladdar and Motherlee like this.
  9. Iila Augur

CN gets monthly, quarterly, or yearly reports on the various stats for each game and DBG as a whole. Unless someone high up in CN actually plays EQ (lol) they don't get much of the details.

And nowhere in those powerpoint slides or EQ's 5 pages of the report is there going to be a line like "Once again, our blanket ruining of player abilities has caused a loss of players, active players, all access subscriptions and daybreak cash sales. Our plan is to continue to identify activities that EverQuest players enjoy, and ruin those activities. Further loses of players and revenue should result."
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I think you could argue that all that stuff is driven by imposed time lines. Aristo probably didn't have time to listen to people griping about spells that would be relevant if people couldn't just burn a 100% time. He has got a list of things that have to be accomplished by X day. Ditto AAs. And then as this problem snowballs expansion after expansion they have to find a way to make the upcoming expansions relevant. It a big pain in the . I bet they wish they could have a month without any other requirements to bring stuff into line.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  11. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Yeah, it has been a busy week at work. Today is for football though which is conveniently placed next to my computer. Are they still the same issues? Bards are useless without being able to fade a million times or can't charm mobs right after death? Berserkers can't (or can depending on who you talk to) burn? Wizards can no longer burn 100% of the length of an event?
  12. Motherlee Augur

I laughed way too much. Thank you!
  13. teduke Journeyman

Actually, I agree with Lila. Companies don't typically buy things to kill them and unless by random chance someone at CN happens to play EQ they would have no idea what causes subscriptions to increase or decrease except based on what the managers of that brand tell them.

That being said I concur that it is really frustrating for DBG to ask for specific feedback of what players have issues with and then to totally ignore the replies. Even if the response is like, "No screw you we totally meant that "relaxing" really meant unmezzable!" - at least its a response.
    Hiladdar and Motherlee like this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

From a player perspective yes we need more explanations from the game devs on changes. The whole bind thing was never mentioned in advance or explained except for a criptic remark that binds would default to a location if your previous one became invalid.

From the dev side of things they may say the time they spend on explanations and write ups takes away from time actually fixing and developing things.

I do think the time can be spared though and would make a big difference.
    DebonAir likes this.
  15. Insanekitty Lorekeeper

Im sure most of the Dev's didnt take pay cuts when they formed DBG , raise hands if u think they did .

If you take this from a financial standpoint you need to figure out where the money is going and where its coming from.

what percentage of your income is coming from live and what is coming from TLP and separate the 2 as independent games whilst maintaining both as a whole for total income potential.

Now in this day and age most of the coding is outsourced to china due to major cost reductions which allow for more content to be created. Look at all the games out there now.

I know for a fact that if they do most of their coding in house they will be costing themselves more money, are they doing that ? who knows . They dont disclose their budgets to us nor do we know the exact memberships that are in use currently. I am sure some subscriptions are being paid for and not even active due to negligence on behalf of the account holder who no longer plays.

Given that , After watching the Video on the informational session. There was zero point in watching it , telling me they added more graphical content and KITTY cat pets . Seriously

Could you put the money and time wasted in kitty cats and put it towards proper AA etc , We as the community are the ones that suffer from fluff, i dont want fluff and im sure atleast 90 percent of the community doesnt want fluff , why dont they do a poll and see what people want.

Ive wanted epic 3.0s for a long time , its an adventure its inspiring and enjoyable and they can implement it into the raids of the level based raids they are putting into the game.

Im tired of the cookie cutter 2h weapons that are always the same and , the weapon delays for optimal dps have been faded into the distance for zerkers for a very long time , yet they keep coming out with the same BS itemization.

You cant tell me this is coming from china or india , its all being done in house and its wasting precious money that could be going towards content that people enjoy and not quit over.

Oh btw i didnt hear in the vid who made the zerker epic .

IK was here
  16. Vdidar Augur

pretty easy answer here, they dont care. DBG is a money grab company and its ZFG for them lol get used to it or quit
    Motherlee likes this.
  17. Insanekitty Lorekeeper

One person not to add to the community , thank you for your reply.

Automated answer 001
  18. Coronay Augur

Please, tell me what changes your specifying. You are just another whiner to come to these boards and beetch and moan. Take a number.

edit: get better at playing
  19. Motherlee Augur

I'd call you a name but don't want to get suspended. ><
    Hiladdar likes this.
  20. code-zero Augur

They explained pretty clearly exactly why they changed things. Just because you don't like an explanation or perhaps don't understand it doesn't mean that they need to break out a thesaurus and look for new word to use to rewrite their explanation