[RF][LJ] For your consideration.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nathalinil, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lalaloup Augur

The only difference between farming for profit from pre-kunark to today (aside from available third party programs) is how open the farmer are about their methods. Same stuff went on behind the scenes in the old worlds.

Now its pretty flagrant, and there's not much that can be done about it.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  2. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

Only if they were stupid enough to base detection off IP address of the client. I would instead expect them to use a new client, that checks for other instances of the client in memory. As the use of vmware is frowned upon, that would be more effective any form of IP addresses based detection.
  3. Elkay Augur

The core problem isn't boxing. How about instead of removing the ability to box, they fix the ways people can grief by boxing?
  4. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Any company that let it's dev get quoted to look like a fool for an article might just be "stupid enough"
    lalaloup and Mezrah like this.
  5. Malachi Augur

Not all boxers are obviously using 3rd party programs. I commend those who don't!
    I also think it's more on the boxers themselves more than the game and it's developers. There really isn't anything they can do if a player invests the time/resources to sustain 3,4,5,6 times more accounts than others. From a business standpoint, you can't outright discourage that revenue source.
  6. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

rune your talking about "the program that shall not be named" im talkin about the other one that is considered legal.. and that its functionality should be disabled on a server of this sort, because ppl will still be able to box the same way they can now.. with key replication.

While your talking to this "eqmule" person maybe u can ask him too just stop updating all together, so that every server can finally be rid of hacking..
    Mezrah and Canik like this.
  7. Shmef Augur

i am very much aware how boxing works. i have done a lot of research to be able to determine who is playing by the rules and who is not. you do not need to have all 6 individuals cast simultaneously but all 6 do have to be individually as fast or faster than the 6 boxer. all your argument boils down to is people should not be able to use key broadcasters because people with slower reactions times cannot compete. a boxer only has to rely on their own reaction time, a group has to rely on each others reaction time. is this the aspect that you dont like? even if it was a raid full of individuals vs a raid full of individuals and a raid mob pops that is going to die in 8 seconds, all things equal the raid with the best reaction times always wins. would you argue against this as well?

i have seen a raid force compete with a 12 box mage army against a group mob not a raid mob and guess what, it wasn't heavily slanted either way. raid got about half the kills, mage army got about half the kills
  8. Gythlen Augur

What's a Legend server?
  9. Malachi Augur

Water meet muddy.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  10. lalaloup Augur

I'm pretty sure I saw someone do this once in lake of ill omen.
  11. Hateseeker Augur

Legends was the server that they had back in the first 5-6 years of EQ that you could pay, I forget, $30/month? Had enhanced GM presence and regular GM-run events, I forget what the other benefits were.

One interesting thing about it was, you could transfer to it when you upgraded to a Legends subscription and then back when you downgraded, even from PvP servers. So, people that cheesed off everyone on Rallos could flee to Legends to gear up and come back.
    Gythlen likes this.
  12. Shmef Augur

if we were actually back in 99 (or this server was anywhere close to how it was back then) and boxing was this rampant i probably would argue the same. but this is an old game, with very old content with very OP classes. there is little that isnt trivial to anyone.

i dont recall seeing anyone deny it gives an advantage, i actually stated that i 2 box for the sole reason that it gives me an advantage. personally i was trying to show how silly some of these arguments can be against key broadcasters.

in reality the real issue is the garbage PNP that gives players an open invitation to be holes. when your policy is that people are allowed to be holes guess what, they will be. broadcasters are only a tool that people can use to be holes, just like the monk class, or the ENC class, or bards etc etc.

if the PNP was how it used to be there would be little to no KSing, DPS race, or walking into someones camp and claiming it. no one would risk losing 6 accounts over 1 piece of loot. stop placing blame elsewhere.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. frankie78227 Augur

Boxing isn't the problem. The lack of a PNP and no GM presence is the issue with the servers. Farmers botting mages should have been an issue DBG would be aware of in advance. DBG should have left the newbie armor quests from starting cities, in game, and allowed people an option besides paying farmers for gear.

As far as is-boxer goes they should have banned it on the progression servers and let people box with alt-tab. Boxing is really important on the low-pop live servers but isn't really needed on progression servers with the high population. They could always dropped the ban when populations hit a certain level.
    Gythlen and Elkay like this.
  14. rune00 Augur

Bigz, you are derailing the thread and you are also being ignorant, asking a guy to stop updating a third party tool that ships with absolutely 0 hacks or macros that allows for UNATTENDED gameplay and is used for completely legit ATTENDED boxing is just weird... It's like asking Microsoft to stop updating excel cause people code excel viruses...

The fact that people code THEIR own plugins and create macros to allow "hacking" and UNATTENDED gameplay is not on him or the product. The devs for that project has always and will always be against UNATTENDED gameplay so let's not rewrite history here to fit your agenda.
  15. Canik Augur

The problem with that is they would then have to enforce those rules. Allowing 3rd party software and saying "DPS Race will solve mob disputes" is there way of saying we want minimal moderation, as it minimizes the number of employee hours needed to monitor activity.

I may be wrong, but that is the message it sends to me. "If we say all these things are ok, we don't have to moderate that activity."
    Gythlen likes this.
  16. lalaloup Augur

It's been the status quo. The only way they would have been aware in advance is if they knew how many oldschool players would be coming back this round.
  17. darkerosxx Lorekeeper

Let's all try to stay on topic... What would you like to see this server be like, how would you like the experience to be, what would make you buy a subscription? Why do you feel this server should exist outside of the already existing TLP servers?
  18. Dark_Intentions Augur

So an entire raid got about half the kills when competing against one person. How wonderful! See the problem there? EQ was not meant for one single person to be able to do what an entire raid does, and be able to beat them half the time. The original design does not account for such a tool existing.

It definitely is one person's reaction time versus 18 people's reaction time, and that is the problem. Greater room for error in the 18, especially when people are waiting many minutes or hours for a mob to pop.
  19. Hateseeker Augur

He's saying that even if Daybreak locks it to one account per PC, the makers of the input cloning program can make it so that they can still coordinate accounts across multiple PCs, so that all can be controlled from one PC. That would effectively make the one account per PC block useless, even if they used a broad array of IP and VMware detection to stop it on single PCs.

Don't bother with the cost argument - I might not be able to afford 6 high-end PCs but EQ doesn't require a high end PC. Most everyone could come up with up to 6 EQ-capable PCs. The only reason it would reduce boxing at all is because people would not have physical space in their room/house for 6 PCs, and that isn't going to affect everyone.
  20. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

Im someone who uses key replication to assist my boxing.. So im in no way attempting too derail the thread only adding my impute into what would need to be done to make a non boxing server possible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.