Everquest Classic Server with old source code? (PVE) January 13 (PVP) January 15 ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tyrone, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrone New Member

I heard this over on Fires of Heaven messageboards. Is this really happening?
  2. Kormer New Member

If you messed this up, so help me god...
  3. Tyrone New Member

4. Kormer New Member

lol jk I have faith in the eq Gods that they have not forsaken us.
  5. Recnarp Augur

Mellifleur likes this.
  6. Cakeny Augur

The old code no longer exists.
  7. Tyrone New Member

False...I'd like to get a source of Sony saying they don't have this.

They had to make old source work with new client. Work they didnt bother with before.

Much easier to remove quests/items instead of doing work described above.

SOE has the old code, they just had to re-work it to be compatible with the new launcher/client.
  8. Cakeny Augur

They have said they no longer have the old code in the past.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Vouivre like this.
  9. Tyrone New Member

And do you have a link pointing to this?
  10. Recnarp Augur

I would love to see something like this happen, as would many other players. The amount of players that resubed just to play on Fippy that it forced another server to open up just speaks for itself.

(that's if this is all true, just very hush hush)
  11. Cakeny Augur

It's probably in the archive somewhere, but I'm not gonna go digging for it.
  12. JERUS Augur

Don't have quote either but pretty sure they have said they don't have the old stuff. Which is why they had to do so much work to tweak the current stuff to allow the fippy progression servers. If they had the old stuff don't you think they would have just relaunched that stuff and tweaked it as needed?
    Vouivre likes this.
  13. Tyrone New Member

Much easier to remove quests/items instead re-working old source to be compatible with the new launcher/client.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I wonder how much storage space they would have needed to keep every iteration EQ's code. On my computer it about 9.5 gigs for the current one.
  15. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Your source lied to you.
    Vouivre likes this.
  16. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Ok first off it is not. Removing one single quest can kill the entire game. This is proven over and over when you work with the earliest source code over on [something not to be discussed]. Several times I would change or remove an old quest or even just move or remove the NPC from the zone and the zone would crash or not load properly. You have to go back into the code and fix the borken strings and pointers.

The Original EQ code, as far back as we have it is the penultimate spaggetti code, there are litteraly tens of thousands of lines of orphan code that has been piecemealed and changed over the decade by litteraly hundreds of people, miuch of which has no notations or refrences after the 7th or 8th coder has changed that section over the years.

The original code does not exist, even working with the original floppys I got in August of 1998, we still have been unable to put together a working build for Everquest MArch 16th, 1999. What you see coming out of servers like [something else not to be discussed] and others is the result of hundreds of manhours of hand inputing much of the old game back into the code, a very long and expensive process, that stuff just doesnt exist anymore.

Your source lied to you.

Edited by Piestro
    TheQxx, Vouivre and Tarvas like this.
  17. Piestro Augur

This rumor is getting posted all over, some folks seem pretty interested in pushing it. Same folks seem to have a submission form for personal information. Makes me suspicious.

The "original code" is a never going to happen idea, it wouldn't work now anyways. Literally wouldn't work, you couldn't get a client to connect to it or a server to run it.
    WarSheol likes this.
  18. Recnarp Augur

Thanks, Piestro. Original code or not, you still haven't answered the question as to if classic servers will be coming or not. ;)
  19. Vouivre Augur

Isn't the Mac server still working on some of the old code? Is it too time consuming or impossible to alter that code?
  20. Tyrone New Member

SOE has 890GB of EQ source.

The only thing suspicious is your inability to break the lid on the new server. Don't worry about the submission form, we have been bat-phoning to victory better than any other community in Everquest history.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.