Winter Seasonal Style Request: The Ninja Scarf

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Darkerusaelp, Oct 9, 2015.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Was just messing with ya (hence the ':p')
    • Like x 1
  2. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

You want creativity? okay Back in 2009 City of heroes/villains created a system known as the Mission Architect which allowed players to design their own missions and publish them so any one could access and play them. You could create your own BOSS to battle picking everything from how he looked, to the clothes he wore to the powers he possessed. You could create Lieutenants and minions to work for that boss doing exactly the same things. You could write the dialogue each NPC would say when confronted by a team of players. Obviously DCUO has nothing like it and since I played Champions Online for a while both before and after COH was gone I know that CO doesn't either.

In 2010 after requests from players mounted over several years that designed and produced Going Rogue which allowed Heroes to eventually become Villains and Villains to eventually become heroes. This was not a simple matter of having your character wake up one day and decide to be the BAD GUY. It was done in steps.. You completed a number of morality missions that allowed a hero to become a Vigilante or a Villain to become a Rogue. At those levels each was able to cross over from one side to the other and do missions in both worlds.. It was entirely possible for a Vigilante to rob a bank in a neighborhood on one mission and turn right around , cross to the hero side and do a mission stopping a bank robbery in the same neighborhood at the same bank in the same day. Rogue could do the same thing.

Now to continue the Vigilante could do another set of morality missions and eventually become a pure villain unable to leave the villain side of the game or do anything but villain missions. The rogues took the exact same process and could become pure heroes. Then of course they could turn right around and reverse the process until the hero had been a vigilante, a villain, a rogue and finally was once again a hero. There were special badges to be earned for actually completing that entire process awarded to players from both side that made the full circle. While some players here have asked for that, probably based on the fact they used to be on COH and enjoyed it ...DCUO has no such system and at least when I tried it neither did Champions Online.

Character Creator? Vastly superior to DCUO ... We could pick from hundreds of clothing styles for our character and decide what color our shirt was and it had no bearing on what color our pants could be or any other item of clothing we wore. Numerous body types and hair styles available for male or female characters and you even had a feature that allowed you to regulate the size of your characters nose, the shape of their jaw, how their cheekbones appeared ect.. In short your character was a very individualized creations that looked completely different that anyone else's out there. Added to the feeling of individualism and again allowing the players to express their own creativity.. when you clicked on any player's character you could access a tab marked BIO.. I forget the limits on how long it could be at the moment, it has been more than 5 years since I created a character there, but you could actually write up a short biography on your character. telling who they were , how they became a hero or villain.. just about anything you liked as long as it didn't violate the TOS. Nothing like that exists here and like I said I tried CO but was not impressed . so I don't know if they had anything like it or not.

Bases... Here we have fairly standardized lairs. same map just different wall coverings. City of heroes had 7 different sized bases and you designed how they were laid out. You bought the furniture and filled each room with the things YOU wanted. You had a teleporter room that would take you to any zone in game as long as someone from your group explored that zone. You had labs that allowed you to create enhancers for your powers along with a generator and a computer area to allow things to run properly. There were some players that spent days, weeks designing and building vast bases with everything from dance floors, to indoor pools, to movie theaters whatever your mind could imagine and find a way to create.

W haven't even touched on the vast number of groups you battled against in missions the DEV team designed.. everything from Demons to Steam punk robots to aliens from another galaxy. Oh and a bunch of GIANT MOSTERS that roamed around certain zones and required a full sized team or more to defeat.

Is it starting to sound a little CREATIVE to you? Now to answer your question to Slade.. No I was not describing his character. I was describing how a stalker worked and some of the tactics one could use. Yeah he probably used the same tactics.. Tell me does every DPS in this game have a completely different method they use in battle.. So there are 2 Quantum DPS with the exact same build on a team you join but they don't do a single thing that looks the same ? Stalkers were basically ninja assassins At one point they had the lowest health and defense in the game and your basic method of survival was hit.. and run. Later they increased defense and health to just below a scrappers and the stalker became a lethal weapon that could walk into a building and clear it out completely and more often than not without ever taking a lot of damage themselves. Originally only available to villains I had one there that I had fun playing but jumped at the chance to create a heroic one and use it to wipe out hordes of villains without them even realizing I was there.... Hey The game also had an Illusion controller that could go invisible as well and had the ability to confuse enemy mobs into attacking themselves. I used to take THAT character into a building .. confuse every mob I found.. let them beat themselves almost to death and then go in and finish them off. Walked out without taking a single HP of damage and everything inside had at some point been my helpless pet.

The game is gone for numerous reasons.. It was still earning money but not as much as it had, NC Soft is a Korean bases company and they tried launching an Asian server for the game but it never caught on there as well as in Europe and the US because from what I understood Asians were not as familiar with Super Heroes as here. Because of that fact NC SOFT was never really impressed with the game itself.. and when they were ready to launch GUILD WARS 2 a lot speculated that they closed down COH to free up the servers for THAT game. Now lets really get serious.. NC SOFT killed the game.. They actually had offers to buy the game and servers and allow it to continue to operate but while they had no plans to ever use the title again.. they refused to sell. They happily shut down and disappointed hundred of thousands of players that had been paying them money for years.

I had 7 years in that game when the turned off the servers and was there at the goodbye party that players held on the final night before everything went BLACK... Like quite a few veteran players from that game we are protective of our memories and the time we spent there.. SO You have any more questions about something you obviously never played or know the first thing about? But seem quite willing to make assumptions about here based on a few lines being sent back and forth between players that WERE there and do know the game.

Tell you what... PARAGON WIKI you want to find out a little about the game? Check that out. It was created and maintained by players to help other players do better at the game. Sadly we didn't have the same amount of U Tube access ect. that exists now so video of the game is limited but THAT is a very detailed account of what COH/V had to offer.
    • Like x 1
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I like this, just not the name.

It should be "Floating scarf" and has to be a backpiece.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

EQ2 had that ability to switch from 'hero' to 'villain' from the start in 2005
  5. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

DCUO STILL has a better combat system than all of these games. I have played to and got bored once I finished making a character because because I was stuck waiting on auto attack and cooldowns. They do have a larger scope. Their ability to make expansive things has to deal with the amount of people working there as well as knowing that they can up and say hey guys you may need to upgrade your ram for these new features. The Ps3 is limiting in that regard. A perfect super hero game would be the mission structure and expnaisiveness of CoH or Champions online with the combat of DCUO. It's a shame that action oriented MMOs are bevomming popular at what seems like the decline of the genre.
  6. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

[quote="Burning_Baron, post: 3446783, member: 126"]DCUO STILL has a better combat system than all of these games.[/quote]

Absolutely!

[IMG]

7. Kuno Loyal Player

Gameplay combat is one of the strongest points of DCUO.
    Anyways they screwed it up big time with WM and AMs making the game boring, loadouts real tight and closed and many powers really useless.
    They need to rework all that.
  8. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

The only ones that are really boring are the ones with no flexibility Iile fire quantum, ice ,mental and electricity

Even in the case of fire , it is exactly what people were doing in T4 so there should be no real complaints.

They had to create specific loadouts. They had a wild west of things going on before. There was no baseline or structure. It was just cancel animation as fast as possible and use the hardest hitting move. Why even play a game with super powers of you just cancel the animation. It makes no sense. It honestly feels no more complex to me than what we have now. All we really did was push buttons as fast as possible in an effort to do.more damage. All we did was find the right modifier to end with and then choose a careful sequence for optimal rotation. Beck with Earth I don't even use weapon mastery have the time. I cancel animations. Looking at videos of what we used to do I look to myself and can't believe I was having fun doing that. Out characters literally looked like they were jumping up and down with a like special effect here or there. I didn't remotely look like a badass pyromaster most of the time. I never felt like my character was using psychic abilities most of the time since I was weapon combo cancel power cancel power jump cancel repeat. The only difference is the visual stimulation combined with button presses.
    • Like x 2
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Having to wait for the Auto attacks and ability cooldowns forces you to play better, rather than just smashing the keys like an angry monkey who has run out of poop to fling
  10. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

You bring up a very valid point. I am one of those people who feel like we shouldn't have to clip animations. That could be why I feel that Celestial needs another pass, I shouldn't have to clip plague, retribution and divine light to compete (which in reality we can't compete) with the likes of ice, fire, gadgets, mental and munitions simple 1,2,3, Bang A.M. I feel as if combo powers in particular (Celestial, Hard Light and Gadgets) may be under performing however that subject is best saved for another topic.

How about that Supergirl Scarf style?
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  11. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Ninja characters aside. Even "The Shadow" knows...
    [IMG]
    That scarfs such as this look pretty bad---.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I don't know what game this is from, but it looks comparable to DCUO visually...which makes it easy to sort of picture what a Ninja/Flowing Scarf could look like. This is just too awesome to not want.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  13. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

The Shadow is a badass! You take that back!
  14. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

That's what I was saying.

Yang from RWBY looks pretty cool with that debonair orange Scarf as well.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  15. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Absolutely! I would also like to have a movement mode the character in the above picture is using.

Rocket Propelled Flight would be awesome in DCUO.
    • Like x 1
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

In complete agreement...:)
    • Like x 1
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

She's wearing a scarf? o_O
  18. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Yeah, it's slightly above her cleavage and it's orange. :)
  19. kawe Loyal Player

I'm just here to voice my YES for this.
    (or any nice scraf, I'm not too picky) : >
  20. Ken Spartan Committed Player

Id didn't say they shouldn't bring new styles. I simply said that the scarf is a silly idea. I say, if they do bring it in-game, they should include a sub-power for super strength that allows us to grab it and fling the person wearing the scarf around , while holding the scarf as a handle. Also, I have a feeling it's just a bunch of hardcore anime fans wanting the scarf, but this is a comic book game. The closest I've seen in comics to the scarf is a bandana around the mouth area, because no one with common sense is going into battle with a overly long scarf that can be used too hang them.