Why can't we counter bosses?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Larfleeze, Apr 18, 2014.

1. BumblingB I got better.

The match NPCs were introduced in GU17/18 and I started F2P which was like GU7ish I believe. So yeah, I do remember what it was like. Plus, the hardest raids were FOSes at the time. There were no match NPCs in there. I understand the trivializing and trying to prolong the life of the game with levels of intricacy, but to be honest, FOS2 is still the best raid they have designed. It doesn't have any of that and people still can have fun with it. Why is this forced on us? I can understand it being in solo content (as much as I hate it) it makes sense. There would be a real challange 1v1 for skill. (Though with Match NPCs, "skill" is a debatable term.) But in content intended to have 4 or 8 players, it just breaks. You either have a tank that gets screwed over left and right or a boss that is constantly countered. There is no fun in either scenario. If your tank is countered, the boss isn't going to mysteriously leave and attack someone else, like a player would. The tank has gauranteed aggro. The scripted attacks to teammates are not affected by aggro nor counters. There isn't a point to it in large group content. And for the tanks that are good at countering, melee from dps just isn't a good idea. It throws the rhythm off of the tank when the boss gains the immunity. It's just easier to sit back and water hose everything down. That's not real skill.

Now I know a lot of people hate the concept of "Tank and spank", but to be honest, we will always have that when we have tanks. Otherwise the tank class is not needed.

I guess what I am saying is that counter mechanics need to go completely from PvE or they seriously need to rethink how they are done as they are trivializing the content and making roles obsolete. This games alpha stages was supposed to be attack and defend. In other words, there was no classes. There was just pew pew pew. Which made sense based on comic lore, where there really is no classes.

*sigh* Yeah, from DLC10, you are right. They are back to things that make controllers useless other than batteries. DLC9 had a good start and I'm not just talking AnB's manhunters. There were a lot of places where controllers could stun and make it easier on all roles. Switches. Things to carry. It was fun. I still walked away from controlling because it wasn't enough and the power consumption increase based on IL increments just kills being a controller.
    • Like x 4
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

The immunity lasts too long with bosses and sometimes npcs. They get can immunity to last to upwards of at least 10 seconds and during those 10 seconds they can get even more immunity. Fix this devs.
    • Like x 1
  3. Lucaefor New Player

It's clearly designed for the original 2-2-2-2 raid team but most people don't see that and at level is still hard as nails. It chews CR80+ up and I've seen CR100+ folks go in there and fail and it's all in the design not cheesy tactics. I too like the way it forces players to make decisions and I've yet to see any group try to CC the adds on the bridge or thermite mine the area around the sunstone for instance.

That's another thing that has to change and for me, fast. If it was my decision I would just remove instant power completely, maybe bump passive recovery or lower power costs and tell players to learn how to manage their own power properly. Until they defected (cough) I was playing with a couple of players, quantum troller and nature DPS and we were doing all the T5 4 player stuff without a healer. At the start it was horrendous and the DPS was dying 15x or more every alert. That was because he didn't pay attention to his positioning or movement and kept wandering into trouble. After a couple of months playing without a healer he pretty much stopped dying and eventually started to use his soder and supply drop. It's amazing how often players put themselves in danger and force healers to bail them out.

Sorry long paragraph. Why mention that? I'm pretty sure we could get that improvement out of most players, maybe tweak things for Raids and possibly get away with removing instant power. That would liberate the controller to do what they should have been doing from the start.
  4. Drakonicus New Player

Are you sure it doesnt ? I have a distinct memory of flashin blue against the Avatar of Sin, in TP. And using conters on hin, for that matter.
  5. BumblingB I got better.

You can counter the Avatar of Sin and I actually think you can get the blue immunity, but you wont get the counter off of them when they are flashing blue. They are counter god mode over and over. The worse are the wives of the families. They always are flashing blue. lol
    • Like x 1
  6. Drakonicus New Player

I think the reason for it, and its a issue with the mechanics, is that they get i imunity from people across the room. So if your healer is spaming full auto....I know because have been that healer.
    • Like x 1
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Which is why blue immunity doesn't work. :)
    • Like x 1
  8. Drakonicus New Player

Good poin, of course. Have seen Spytle talking about messaging the Blue Flash better, but they realy need to take a second look on how the process works.
    • Like x 1
  9. Hero of Justice New Player

She's right OP, I have countered the Avatar plenty of times as well. Most likely either you or the rest of your group was giving him immunity, when he is flashing he is immune to being countered, and as others have said if you aren't careful he can spend most of the fight immune.
    • Like x 1